“Skeptical”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Adams & Jefferson
Transit: NJ Transit Bus 505 Stops at the corner
Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

I had friends come in from out of town and was looking for nice restaurant that we have never been to! I am local and went on open table! I saw Johnny’s Cafe and the reservation time was perfect! After reading some of the reviews, I was skeptical about Johnny’s! I was even thinking aout changing to another restaurant! I am so glad that I took our guests there! We were sat at exactly our reservation time! The dirty martini’s and cosmo’s were outstanding! Our server was so nice and professional! They had at least 5 specials off the menu that she explained like she made them herself! The food was awesome! 5 of us all had something different and Johnny’s didn’t disappoint! I recommend Johnny’s Cafe to everyone! The negative reviews were unwarranted! Give them a try!

Date of visit: July 2018
2  Thank richbru5127

Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

We suspect there are better dining choices nearby, but we ate here because youngest son insisted on having chicken strips. The service was extremely slow, although they weren't busy and seemed fully staffed. The food was fresh and good, but average. We wouldn't come again. I've had a MUCH better lobster BLT in the middle of Illinois!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018

Best Mojito ever (outside of Cuba or Puerto Rico) - Saturday night was super busy but staff did an excellent job keeping up with all the customers. Great waitress who pointed out some good ideas for specials. We shared the cold seafood special entree as our appetizer and first course. Johnny's always has awesome first quality shellfish.. This special came with two humungous shrimp - giant lumps of premium blue crab meat, and a half lobster chilled with tail and claw - two great dipping sauces. Then we shared the bone in veal chop that came with spagetti (we had it done parm style - soooo good)- also had a Caesar salad to split - very good dressing very fresh. Everything was delicious.
There are two large bar areas and it is a vibrant attractive restaurant. Onsite owner Johnny is always over-seeing everything and keeps the quality and service up. He was working very hard on Saturday night and came running out of the kitchen a couple of times to greet patrons in his apron. He is a warm and friendly man. We wish him continued success.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 18, 2018

front room is moderate temperature - back room is always hot
do not deviate from the menu - chef (and i quote the server) "will not do it that way"
doesn't provide water unless you ask for it - seriously, isnt this standard when you dine?
during breakfast, if you request tomatoes instead of potates - that's an upcharge of $1.50
service is slow from the kitchen
long wait time in mornings - not enough staff

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Ok it was Memorial Day weekend so I give them a bit of slack. Place extra noisy and busy which should actually add to a cool vibe, but our server was a flake. We asked her for water for the table 4 Times. Not kidding! Finally as good was being served the kid bringing it out chased us down 4 water glasses. Two times I understand and 3 is a stretch. 4 requests is inexcusable!.. no apology.. food decent. We would have gladly ordered another bottle of wine or dessert but unanimous from our party that they weren’t getting another dime of business based on the service. Too bad we really wanted to have a great experience there.
Good luck