“So Much Bottled Potential”
Review of The Laurel - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Laurel
Reviewed January 10, 2014

It's actually been almost a year since I dined at The Laurel. My wife and I had breakfast here almost every weekend in the winter and early spring period of 2013. The breakfast was comme ci comme ça. Still, I felt that the space and service could do better. The restaurant is small and excudes a "brooklyn vibe" - for those who know. The hamburger and fries served during lunch will put you to sleep out of utter satisfaction and I've had it twice and still dream about it. The Laurel still seems to be falling short judging by the two rather unflattering Reviews given so far. I expect to start frequenting again this Spring and will make a follow-up review.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

A crowded cafe in the middle of Maplewood village with soup, salad and sandwich selections for a lunch crowd. The tables are not set up properly in my opinion - every time a waitress walked by our table, she snagged my leg - obviously there isn't enough room between the tables for her to get through from one side of the restaurant to the other.

Poor lunch menu selection - 3 salads and 3 sandwiches. I had the bland kohlrabi soup which sadly tasted like bad baby food, even though I salted and peppered it. My pulled pork sandwich fell apart before I even started eating it and the special cookie they had for dessert almost broke my teeth.

In a great village like Maplewood with so many other great restaurants to choose from, I'll choose another place next time.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I went with a friend for lunch and we both had a hard time picking out something on their menu as the options were very limiting. Lot's of hearty, meaty sandwich options, but both my friend and I wanted a salad. They did have about 5 salad choices, but none of them were hearty enough for lunch, and seemed more like a side salad option. My friend had to pay extra to add in a protein as she was hungry. Luckily she did as the salad portions are average at best. Yes, the bowl was overflowing with salad, but the bowl they used was on the small size and about half the size you'd get at a diner. I ordered the vegetable burger which was tasty and big in portion size but it fell apart all over my plate which was not huge and my side salad kept falling off onto the table. I feel this establishment need's to do quiches or some sort of 1/2 sandwich/salad option. Not all of us want to eat a big sandwich for lunch.