“Pizza and More + Great Lunch”

Arturos Osteria & Pizzeria
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Maplewood
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed November 14, 2013

What a treat to come to our local pizzeria for lunch, and a business lunch at that. Fantastic variety of a menu, including daily specials and lunch special sandwiches.

Our party of 2 opted for the daily special - farmhouse salad and farmhouse pizza special. More than enough for one person (took both home for some dinner), great taste and a nice ambiance.

I will return here again & again, not just for our regular pizza dinner, but also now for lunch! Thanks Arturo's!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I think Arturo's has the best pizza in New Jersey. (Although my favorite, Parma with gorgonzola, is no longer on the menu.) For pasta, try the wild mushroom ravioli. Sensational. The homemade sausage ragu on penne pasta is great too. There's often a long wait here because the place is very small, but it's worth it.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We finally stopped by Arturo's for dinner, and I'm glad we did. Nice ambiance, BYOB, fresh local ingredients. They don't take reservations, but the 15-20 minute wait was acceptable, especially after the hostess offered to get us started on our drinks. Pasta entrees include your choice of house of Caesar salad (both good), but no bread was offered to our table or any other that i could see. My husband had the mushroom ravioli which he enjoyed, though the portion was small compared to my pasta pancetta. I have to say I did not care for this pasta dish; the bits of pancetta were lost in the tomato sauce, and it was a bit too salty for me. The specials looked really good, and we plan to return to try their brick oven pizzas.

1  Thank Dante81
Reviewed September 25, 2013

New York is likely the pizza capital of the US. I've lived in and visited Manhattan for many years, but only found Arturo's in Maplewood NJ this year. Wow, it's so good! Fresh mozzarella, homemade sausage, incredible fresh veggies, and best of all, that perfect NYC style crust--crispy on the outside, soft and tender inside.

The challenge is that the restaurant is small, and there is frequently a wait for a table. Locals seem to keep the carry out business brisk. If you are like me and not a local, just go a little early and be patient.

The service is NJ standard, in other words to this Southerner, pushy and a bit rude. But people who live in the NY metro area will think Arturo's is average or a bit better. It's all about perspective.

Hint 1: get the beet salad as a starter--so good, fresh and homemade.
Hint 2: Try the pizza special if you are at all tempted. I had a meat delight kind of pizza with pine nuts and spinach off the specials list that was exceptionally delicious!
Hint 3: You can add toppings to the standard pizzas. Meatballs added to the Greco pizza is an awesome combination.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I know certain restaurants are very popular, but come on, waiting more than 1/2 hour for a pizza pie is ridiculous, no matter how popular a pizzeria is. Arturo's has great pizza - we've only eaten in the restaurant a handful of times. The rest of the time we order their pizza, but the last few times we've wanted to order pizza from there, we were told to pick up 90 minutes later! REALLY?? It's pizza after all - aren't they staffed well?I my book, that's way to long to wait for a pizza, especially with 2 other great pizzerias in the downtown Maplewood Village area. No thanks Arturo's!