“Where oh Where is Maria?”

Maria's Italian Restaurant and Cocktail Lounge
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2013

In the small town of Manasquan are two old time italian restaurants. This WAS one of them until it's recent takeover of ownership. The staff is different, as well as the menu choices. Sometimes it is in your best interest to leave what is better off alone. We are searching for Maria! The prices were too pricy for the portions, not to mention that my entree was cold which meant it was precooked and just reheated. I'm so very thankful that the Bossone family is still thriving at Squan Tavern with a large family to keep it in business forever!

Date of visit: October 2013

Reviewed August 19, 2013

always consistent, always yummy. always visit when at the Jersey shore! glad they remain the same even after the sale.

1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Went to Maria's expecting a nice family restaurant. It was dark, with heavy tablecloths and old decor. My dinner salad was JUST LETTUCE....no cucumbers or tomatoes or....anything! Shrimp scampi was served with a tiny bowl of pasta. The meals were extremely overpriced for the portions. I will not be returning.

1  Thank marych18
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I love Maria's. I also loved Maria, and it's no secret she sold the place a while ago. This was my first trip back since the place changed hands. I do miss her quiet presence overseeing the operation, but I can say the food was almost equally as good as it used to be under Maria's watch...except for the cannoli, which was not good at all. rather bland, actually. The filling should be sweeter than it was, with chocolate chips or candied fruit. Even the shell was second rate, and the pastry was very pricey at $5.50. I told the waitress about it, and she said she would mention it to the owner. So am I, right now.

Lose the cannoli, but everything else was good. Keep it up. I should also mention the loud, boisterous people at the bar; 20-something young guys and a young woman with an infant. What they were doing with this little baby in a bar atmosphere was beyond me, as all three seemed intoxicated.

1  Thank DrumBob
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I made a reservation for 6:30 pm, when we arrived they couldn't find my reservation for7. Despite this we were promptly seated. We ordered pan seared veal specials, veal Milanese, red snapper, clams in white sauce. All were fresh and prepared too perfection. Drinks were promptly presented along with warm bread (which was replenished without asking).

Always a great stop for a family dinner.

Date of visit: July 2013