“THE PIZZA MECHANIC”

Sal's Gourmet Pizza & Pasta
Order Online
Ranked #26 of 69 Restaurants in Manalapan
Reviewed July 19, 2018

I have been going to Sal's for many years now. Sal simply has the best pizza, sandwiches and salads (The tuna is out of this world) in all of Manalapan NJ. Sal and his team are always very friendly and professional, but the other day, Sal did something that simply amazed me.
Just 3 blocks from Sal's, my car broke down. It was lunchtime, so I decided to walk to Sal's to clear my head, get a great meal, then call a tow truck. As soon as I entered, Sal, (the owner) looked at me and said "what's wrong". After I explained my car situation, Sal (during a very busy lunchtime I might add) said "c'mon, let's have a look". Before I could say no, Sal drove me to my car, told me to "pop the hood" then proceeded to fix my car!!!! WHO DOES THIS?!?!? This is an owner who is a class act!!! His care and consideration for his customers goes above and beyond his call of service!!
Now, I'm not suggesting that Sal open up a side business, (his first class establishment speaks for itself) but the next time you are hungry for a great meal while driving your jalopy on Route 9...... :) .... Marc

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed September 14, 2017

I ordered a roast beef hero for delivery. It was one of the best roast beef heroes I've had in a long time. Glad I ordered the large one. Had two tasty meals - lunch and dinner. I left out the onions. The tomatoes and mayonnaise worked well with grade A roast beef. I will keep Sal's on my list for future orders.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed August 23, 2016

This is our Go To pizzeria for those nights when we don't feel like cooking. The pizza is great but it's the food that's really the Star of the Show. On the apps side of things, my wife thoroughly enjoys the stuffed mushrooms. Nice stuffing (seasoned breadcrumbs for those who wish to stay on the vegetarian side of things), as well as, a really tasty lemon-butter sauce. For those of us who are carnivores, the meat roll-up is really delicious....I recommend getting a side of Sal's tomato sauce as it is really is great for dipping. Don't get me wrong, the meat roll-up can stand up all on its own but adding a touch of Sal's tomato sauce really rounds out the app. My 11 year old loves the pepperoni roll, the mini ham calzone, and the mozzarella sticks. My (soon to be) 8 year old is a huge fan of Sal's Chicken Fingers and Fries (off the kids menu). I, myself, am a huge fan of Sal's meatballs as a side or a standalone appetizer, as well as, sausage, pepper and onion roll. As for Main Dishes, we've tried many of them and have never been disappointed. The Chicken Francaise is one of our favorites. My advice is to have it served over penne and ask Sal's to put the Francaise sauce on the pasta as well.....it's THAT good. My 11 year old (believe it or not) absolutely LOVES Sal's pasta with garlic and oil and grilled shrimp. We used to get her the Kid's portion but she always finished the entire dish so now she gets the adult portion (which....by the way....comes with a portion of Italian bread and a small, side-salad...which she also loves; especially, the red onions). As far as pizza goes, your options are abundant. From the standard "plain pie" (which I highly recommend) to the standard one to two toppings to some pretty interesting "specialty" pies like the Sausage, Peppers, Onions and Potatoes. One of my all-time favorites is Sal's Special Pizza which has sausage, pepperoni, onions, green peppers and one or two other toppings....definitely not for the faint of heart but an awesome treat when having guests over for Football Sunday. Since I'm trying to watch my diet lately, Sal's has a great selection of pretty healthy choices. Lately I've been buying the large veggie pizza on whole wheat crust (really good with a sprinkling of parmigiano-reggiano and a heavy dose of crushed red pepper flakes), as well as, Sal's Chicken Pesto wrap. I used to get the whole wheat wrap but now that I'm trying to watch carbs, Sal's is kind enough to send the chicken in pesto sauce in an aluminum tin instead of a wrap so I don't have to waste a perfectly good wrap....all you have to do is ask and Sal's will take care of you.

All in all a really amazing neighborhood pizza joint with a heck of alot more than just great pizza. Pick-up or delivery....apps, pizza, food, salads, etc....you can't go wrong.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed December 19, 2015

The food was very good and the owner came over to our table to makes sure everything was good. The restroom was also clean.

Date of visit: December 2015