“My room smelled like cigarette smoke - Yuck!”

Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed November 28, 2013

After an exhausting week of travel, my last stop was the Sheraton Mahwah. I arrived around midnight and the check in process was welcoming and efficient. I got to my room, on the Club level, and it smelled like someone had just been smoking in my room! I was just too tired to go back to the front desk and deal with it so I unpacked and went to bed. Really disappointed that a hotel like this wouldn't first check the rooms before assigning them to a guest. Next disappointment was the breakfast in the club lounge. No "real" coffee - just a machine. Thankfully my experience with the meeting facilities on the first floor was better: Starbucks coffee, good service, nice meeting rooms. So I guess the learning here is - great place for a meeting, but stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dysphorichousewife
Richard G, Director of Sales at Sheraton Mahwah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear dysphorichousewife,
Thank you for taking the time to share your lodging experience. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We are a 100% non smoking hotel. Occaisionally, others do not respect our non smoking policy. We work to ensure these smoked in rooms are refreshed so guests do not have a smoking smell when they enter their room. Our apologies for not providing that postive experience. Thank you for your comments to improve the coffee in the Club Lounge!

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My wife and I went to the Sheraton in Mahwah for a getaway night. We were suppose to get a room with breakfast and it should have been a nice, pleasant experience. It was also an opportunity for the Starwood brand to win us over since we have rarely used them in the last few years. Unfortunately, our experience will be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

They gave us an adjoining room on the SPG level. We could hear every word of the guests in the adjoining room and I mean every word as the walls were paper thin. One of them had such a bad cough we ended up having to keep the TV on all night just to drown out the emphysema patient next door.

Upon arrival to the room, my wife attempted to flush the toilet only to find that it didn't work. I pulled the cover and the chain was snapped in two. We called for the Engineer who replaced the chain and then she flushed the toilet again only to find that water was coming out of the base of it from one side which of course made the floor in the bathroom wet. The toilet we noticed was also badly scratched up and the bathroom sink was cracked. This alone is something perhaps fitting for a flophouse but not the Starwood brand.

We would have loved to have hung up our jackets in the closet except the track on the door was off so it was usable so you get the idea of what we were dealing with.... As someone with nearly 500,000 points with the Hilton and Marriott chains and who travels often, the room experience was perhaps the worse one in many years.

Finally, to add insult to injury we get up the next morning and head for breakfast area and are seated. We mention to the waiter that we had signed up for the room and breakfast and he looks at us like it was something never heard of and calls over the cashier who asks us for a card which we had never received. You must have gotten a card she proceeds to state in a voice so now everyone in the restaurant could hear.

Needless to say this only added to what was a miserable time at a hotel in which the manager needs to get a hold of the housekeeping staff and read them the riot act and needs to address the entire management crew and remind them what customer service is all about.

Upon checking out I was curious if the hotel, which seemed kind of empty, was in fact booked solid which might explain why we were given this horrible room...No, it was actually pretty slow and quiet the front desk said....

Upon exiting, my wife looked over and said, let's go home and get some sleep and try and forget this experience. My suggestion to others is to forget this hotel!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mayden
Richard G, Director of Sales at Sheraton Mahwah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Mayden,

Thank you for posting your comments. Our apologies for not meeting your expectations for a pleasant and relaxing getaway. We would like to have the opportunity to serve you again. Please let me know if we can provide accommodations for a future stay. I am certain we can provide a better experience.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for the second time around, and were sorely disappointed in the customer service here. The first night we were there, we were on a floor with a college basketball team. When a group from next door became loud, I called down to the front desk to ask for a room change. Not only did they tell us that they couldn’t accommodate us for the room change, I found the front desk attendant to be short and unsympathetic to our needs. The second night there was a Marine Corps ball and we found that many marines were placed on our floor. While we didn’t mind at all that the ball was going on, and we’re very supportive of our troops, we found that due to the overzealous revelry, we could hear many of the attendees late into the night as they returned to our floor. When I called again to complain about the noise, the staff was once again rude and unsympathetic. Our problem is not with the groups who were only there to have a good time, but with the poor service and management philosophy of the hotel staff. Overall, we found that the employees are not customer service oriented -- upon leaving; we weren’t even asked how our stay was. I believe that a hotel as large and well-established as the Sheraton Mahwah should have better strategies in place for sectioning off large groups from other hotel patrons. While we recognize the need to accommodate large groups and host events, there seems to be a disconnect at this hotel between the service provided to those groups and individuals seeking a quiet getaway. One of the goals of hospitality service is to provide you with such a good experience that you want to return again and again. Sadly this is the last time we will be staying at the Sheraton Mahwah, and we recommend that those of you who are seeking a quiet getaway and somewhat decent service to look to the Super 8 across the street.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard G, Director of Sales at Sheraton Mahwah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Michael_C_9181,
Thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience. Our apologies for not providing a quiet and enjoyable stay. Our staff strives to provide excellent customer care and service, we apologize for not meeting those goals during your stay. We always aim to keep our groups together so as not to disturb other guests. Please let me know if i can do anything to compensate you for your negative experience. We look forward to another opportunity to provide you with a better hotel experience.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel itself is an ex-HQ building and is vast. The hotel car park itself is quite empty.

Rooms nicely decorated but distinctly ordinary.

Is this Hotel making enough to cover its costs? I really don't know. However, at reception they mentioned that if we did not use the turndown service and used the reception, we would be entitled to a $5 rebate voucher for each night we did not use the service. They say its for green reasons, but based on my experience, the perception is that was a cost cutting measure.

I only received one voucher, not the two and even then the discount was not applied to my bill. At a hotel charging almost $150 per night, I'd really expect my room to be cleaned or you stick to what you've agreed.

If the hampton inn down the road can clean your room everyday, then so should a Sheraton. I can't justify paying a premium as the guest experience isn't up to other Sheratons I have stayed at in the past. The perception of a hotel cutting costs does not install confidence , trust or the basis for return custom.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Busyness_traveller
Richard G, Director of Sales at Sheraton Mahwah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Busyness Traveler,

Thank you for sharing your experience and posting your review. Our apologies for not providing the guest experience anticipated during your stay. Make a Green Choice is designed to reward guests for choosing an eco friendly stay with SPG points or service value vouchers. Please let me know if you would like to receive your SPG points. We hope to have the opportunity to be of service in the future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

It's oddly out of place, a glass skyscraper alone among the Ramapo Mountains, but it's a comfortable hotel with a nice indoor pool, an elevator that is fascinating for young kids, and an easy drive to small ski areas. Worth a weekend at the right price.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Breukelen2013
Richard G, Director of Sales at Sheraton Mahwah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Breukelen2013,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The hotel is a remarkable building amidst the beautiful Ramapo Mountains. The view from our guest rooms and elevators is breathtaking. We offer ski and stay packages to Tuxedo Ridge Ski Resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Was visiting for business reasons in Mahwah NJ.
Close Proximity to NY , very comfortable stay , excellent front desk and good food .

The Only thing to complain is that in this world where most of them offer free internet , This hotel charges 12$ per day , which is expensive

Room Tip: Try to negotiate free wireless deal before booking
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sonjoy B

Dear Sonjoy B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your lodging experience! Our hotel is ideally located near NYC and the corporate campuses of several fortune 500 Companies. We are pleased you enjoyed our hospitality as well as the cuisine. We now offer free basic High Speed Internet fee in all 225 Guest Rooms.

We hope to be of service in the near future!

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on a visit to Sleepy Hollow, NY. It was decent and reasonably priced but nothing spectacular. For a 4 star hotel I thought the rooms were a bit small. The bed was super comfortable though. Wouldnt stay there again only because it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere....

• Stayed: October 2013
Richard G, Director of Sales at Sheraton Mahwah Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear CrystalN320,

Thank you for sharing your lodging experience. We appreciate you choosing Starwood Hotels and Resorts for your recent stay. Our location is convenient to all major highways in Northern NJ and NY State. We are set in the midst of 100 acres of natural beauty in the Ramapo Mountains. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Richard

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Sheraton Mahwah Hotel? Share your experiences!