“Nice”
Review of Courtyard Mahwah

Courtyard Mahwah
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed February 15, 2007

The hotel was a pleasant place but there isn't a whole lot to do especially if you don't have a car. I had to walk kind of behind the hotel to go to either Dunkin Donuts or a Pizza place. This area is like a truck stop, nothing special. There are sandwiches & salads in the lobby but that is like a last resort. The hotel is nice but they don't have much to do. They only have a little gym and a pool which looks nice but someone said that it has so much chlorine in it that his skin was burning all night even after taking a shower. They do have a computer in the lobby for you to use for free so that was nice. The room was pretty clean but I am picky so I think it could have been cleaner because I did find hair on my bed & on some towels. But the bed was comfortable & the room is a nice size you don't feel cramped at all. My room was facing the highway so be prepared to hear traffic all night long but I'm used to that so it didn't bother me too much. The room also gets very hot, so many people said how they were so hot that they had to open windows. I wouldn't go back to Mahwah if I had my choice but if I need to stay there again I would stay at the Courtyard.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed January 1, 2007

Contrary to everyone's comment about thin walls; you may hear your neighbor while sitting in complete silence, but once the HVAC unit is on, you might as well be sleeping in the hotel alone. I had a noisy neighbor, but the only time I heard him was when I was in the hallway outside of my room . The staff is knowledgeable of the area (especially in the evening before 11PM) and can give you a great selection of local eateries. There is a market that you can grab snacks, drinks, etc. 24 hours, also a great perk for a weary traveler or a late night partier. Not far from NYC and there is a lot of public transportation very close by for a nice day trip. Not much to do in this area besides shopping and a couple local night spots (Nyack, NY). A nice place to just relax...

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EWR4LAX
Reviewed September 26, 2006

Very comfortable and relaxing. We had the suite room and it was very nice. Pool area and jacuzzi was very pleasant. Breakfast buffet was delicious. Beautiful grounds and the center courtyard area had a lighted gazebo. I would stay there again most definately!

Stayed: September 2006
Reviewed April 15, 2006

The hotel staff was friendly and asked us where we prefered our room be located. We chose a high floor away from the elevator and we were accommodated. The hotel was quiet, the staff friendly, and the room clean. The bed was comfortable and the balcony was nice for sitting in the afternoon. The location of the hotel is perfect - only 30 minutes to New York City and that's with traffic! This is a perfect location for visiting the city without staying in the noisy city.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank njrangerfan
Reviewed February 4, 2006

My company sends me to this area for training sessions, so I must have spent about 20 nights at this hotel in recent months.

I've been in several rooms, but they were all identical. It's kind of an average business hotel with some nice touches. Beds are comfortable, television is good, bathroom ok. Good water pressure. There is heating and airconditioning you can control yourself, but it's difficult to get the perfect temperature. It's always too hot or too cold.

The lobby is pleasant with comfortable seating around a working fireplace which is very nice. Free Wall Street Journal and USA Today newspapers. There's a small gym with various machines. I'm not really into gyms, but my co-workers seem happy with it. The pool is clean and attractive. It can be very nice to relax there at times when there aren't a loud group of young people horsing around. The indoor pool area is kept warm in winter, so swimming at that time is comfortable.

The breakfast buffet is included in my company's deal, so I don't know much about the pricing. Two very pleasant women pour coffee and juice as soon as you are seated. The buffet is generally well stocked, but the highlight is the self service round waffle maker which is very easy to use. When I know I'm coming back to this hotel, those waffles are what I look forward to with most anticipation.

If you don't have a car in this area, you have few options. It is very inconvenient that the restaurant at the hotel does not serve dinner. There is only a refrigerator case with a few sad looking salads and sandwiches as well as frozen foods that you can prepare yourself with a microwave. Pretty sad options. If you ask for anything else, you'll be offered delivery menus for a few nearby greasy spoons that will deliver to your room.

HOT TIP: I eventually discovered the only walkable decent restaurant that can be reached from the hotel - The New York Steakhouse at the nearby Doubletree Hotel. They serve good meat, chicken, fish, some Italian dishes in very pleasant surroundings. You can have a large meal or just a sandwich. There is also a bar there.

You can reach the steakhouse on foot in less than ten minutes. One of the people at the front desk can point you in the direction to walk there.

The hotel has shuttle service, but I never found it useful in the evening. It ends at a certain time which would make an evening out very rushed.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Continental American
Reviewed December 18, 2005

The Courtyard was an average hotel. The front desk clerks were friendly and the breakfast was fine. I agree with another reviewer that the walls are VERY thin. The lady next door was on her phone and I could plainly hear everything she was saying. This was at 6:30 in the morning when it otherwise quiet. My main advice is to make sure you get a room away from the highway. The hotel is right on a busy road and it's loud at night with trucks going by. I would imagine the other side of the hotel would be much better. Overall I guess I'd stay here again. It was OK - nothing special but nothing awful either.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelPitt
Reviewed October 23, 2005

I travelled to new jersey for St.Patricks Day to perform at the parade in Ringwood. We were a pipe band from Ireland. The hotel is claen and modern. The room was quite large with orange walls. HOWEVER ,the walls are paper thin . Myself and a friend were in rooms next to each other. We went to bed at the same time on our final night and I could here her opening her make-up bag and striking a match. When she was talking in a normal voice I could here every word. Bear this in mind!! Dont stay here if you dont have a car. There is only one taxi service in the area and prices to Woodbury Commons and other shopping outlets are VERY expensive. With 6 sharing it was still $10 each. The food in the hotel is not very good. Breakfast is at two set rates one for cold food and one for hot. Some of the children in our group had fruit or cereal only but were charged full price.
There is a t.v and snack bar in the lobby which gives it a very homely feel.There is a free shuttle to the Mason Jar - a gorgeous restraunt 2 minute drive away. Driver was very nice. Some truck stops nearby also. Not much alcohol available- certainly not enough for 80 Irish people!!
Pool is quite nice.
However we were experiencing quite a culture shock having coming from the hustle and bustle of new york city!!
Certainly not good for groups. Must have your own transport.
It would be a good base to discover the REAL america. We passed some lovely small towns with really great people .

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank dizzyt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Courtyard Mahwah? Share your experiences!