“Very nice hotel!”
Review of Courtyard Mahwah

Courtyard Mahwah
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Staff was helpful and friendly. Rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were super comfortable. The courtyard was beautifully landscaped and was home to several domestic duck families (with adorable little ducklings). It was a pleasure to sit in the lobby and look out at the courtyard. Their little bistro was sufficient for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not a lot of selections but adequate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Jeaneane, General Manager at Courtyard Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Your complimentary review back in the summer was very much appreciated. To date, we have received many positive remarks, as our remodeling has been standardized throughout the Courtyard brand. Like our ducks that have flown south for the winter, we are always welcoming new and returning visitors so if you are contemplating travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Appetizers, drinks and service were excellent in an updated and modern lobby.. Location was ideal for restaurants, gas, and shopping. Inadvertently left my notebook at a table, which was returned to me later !

Rooms were new, nice, quiet, and clean. Price was reasonable.

When getting here, there is substantial U-turn to get to the hotel, which is typical for the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Jeaneane K, General Manager at Courtyard Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I was so very happy to read your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at the Mahwah Courtyard by Marriott in NJ. Thank you for taking the time to tell other potential guests of your experience here. Come back and see us again!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have stayed here 3 times in the past month. The service is excellent. When it snowed one night, my car was cleaned off by 7:30AM. I was shocked at this service.

Check in and out is always smooth. The breakfast is average.

The location is odd to get to. If travelling north, you need to do a lengthy U-turn and head south.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing Rt 17. Too much road noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated. To date, we have received many positive remarks, as our remodeling has been standardized throughout the Courtyard brand. With the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here for business. Location was ideal. the room was clean and tidy, the bed comfortable. Very nicely furnished. Great breakfast the next morning with Starbucks coffee. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated. With the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just a quick update for this property. I am a Platinum member that travels a lot (75 - 100 nights each year) on business and am approaching lifetime Platinum status. This hotel has all the Courtyard renovations and just received new beds in all of the rooms. I really didn't notice the need for new beds but after sleeping on the new ones - they are fantastic and I slept great. What really made me want to write this update was a very nice touch that I have not seen before at a hotel property. We had some March snow this weekend in NJ. I woke up early to scrape off my car before my morning business meeting only to find that the hotel had beat me to it. They had scraped off - not only my car - but all of the cars in the parking lot. A nice example of going that extra step and I wanted to mention it. Great hotel, great people, great service.

Room Tip: La Gondola down the road on Route 17 has great pizza.
2  Thank JMACKLongIsland

Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated. To date, we have received many positive remarks, as our remodeling has been standardized throughout the Courtyard brand and it has been well received. Thank you for your kind words but its our pleasure to serve our guests. We pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. Keep in mind with the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel often -- almost always one night stays (once or twice I stayed two nights). I am a simple client -- I arrive late, I stay one night, I don't need a lot (just the basics), I don't need maid service done at a certain time, etc.

My first few visits were "good" -- not exceptional, but "good" (see my previous review, which was a "good" review). Now, I expect "good" (for a one-night stay) at a $100 to $120 hotel -- but I do expect more at a Courtyard Marriott (based upon all of my Marriott Courtyard experiences in various cities, and throughout NJ). Now, you have to understand, I am a Marriott fan (and a big fan of Courtyard properties). I stay at Marriott properties all over, and they are always my first or second choice wherever I travel. Having a lot of stays/experiences with Marriott, and many with Courtyard properties, I have a lot of comparison points -- not only comparisons to Marriott and other Courtyard properties, but to many other hotels/properties. Regardless, I am a Marriott fan. Note -- I do not know if this property is privately-owned or owned/operated by Marriott.

All of this said, my last few visits have not been as good. They've actually been "not good" in several areas. If you know this hotel, when you book it, you know it's on Rt. 17 (South) -- and that's it. Maybe you hear some noise, maybe you won't. It doesn't matter -- it's on Rt. 17 like other hotels in Mahwah, so if you don't like noise, the possibility exists, so find a hotel "off" Rt. 17. Thus, I don't put a lot of credibility into the "noise" complaints. On my first few visits, I seemed to get "newer" or "remodeled" rooms. There may have been a hiccup or something, but all in all, the rooms were fine. These rooms had always been clean, and appeared to be well maintained. In thinking about it, each time I had an "internal room" -- one that overlooked the courtyard and did not look out to the parking lot or Rt. 17 -- the room seemed to be nice. Maybe these are the rooms that have been remodeled.

So, now, the past few stays. First, the rooms I've gotten have been sub-par in several areas -- ranging from little things, to more significant -- light-bulbs out, poor lighting, TV reception, not clean, damp, etc. On my last two or three stays the heat/AC was extreme -- either the room was too cold or two hot. I couldn't get the room a comfortable temperature, setting. The dampness concerned me as well. There have been a few "service" issues as well -- customer-service. I sometimes feel as if they are "rushing" me -- off the phone, dismissing my call, question, whatever it is. Customer service is important in a service industry.

Second, while it may seem minor, on my last visit, there were a series of little things -- all of which added up to a "not good at all" experience. When I called for a reservation, I was put on hold for around 7 minutes. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all if I was told I needed to wait or if someone took my number and called me back. When I got there, the front desk person "asked" if I would like, and pretty much "suggested" a room on "the other side of the building...overlooking the mountain(s)". Now, I know where the mountains are, and when the person pointed they pointed "behind" them, so I was clear what this person was saying, suggesting, etc. Now I had never been on that side of the building, and never had that type/location of room. Thus, I agreed to this room. This room is not "on the other side of the building" as described -- it is in the very back of the building (not the back from where the front-desk person described, but the exact opposite side that faces Rt. 17). It also DOES NOT overlook the mountains! It overlooks the rear parking lot and woods. There are no rooms over there (from what I can tell, that overlook the mountains). I mistakingly drove on that side of the building -- the north side -- because that's where the front-desk person told me the room was; and there doesn't appear to be rooms that overlook the mountains, that direction. Maybe you can see the mountains from a north-facing internal room that overlooks the courtyard, but that's not the point.

Small things -- only two drinking glasses, no bag inside the ice bucket, only one small bar of soap and it was the facial soap (there was no "body" or "bath" soap). It was 30 degrees out, but the AC seemed to be on. I checked, and regardless of what the wall-unit thermostat said, cold air was coming out of the unit. I raised the temperature, and it got extremely hot. In the end, it was either too hot or too cold. The room was also damp at first, as if it had been "sprayed" a great deal during cleaning. Ironically, after the heat took over, the room quickly dried out, unfortunately to the point of it being too dry. I had no choice was the room was very cold (and damp). All of this is interesting, ironic actually -- because the front-desk person had said they "had plenty of rooms" and this was obvious as the parking lot was empty when I arrived and the next morning. This property is taking on more of a "motel" mentality in my mind, and between service, quality, etc. -- it's been hit or miss. Not what I expect from a Marriott Courtyard property.

I think many of the rooms (that I've been seeing) are older. I know other parts of the hotel have been worked on (the quasi-restaurant, the lobby, etc.), but the rooms I've seen need work. Service, maintenance, customer-service needs works. The rooms need to be cleaner and better maintained. The little things, and some big things, have been making my stays sub-par. I am going to be in the area in the coming weeks, with several people I am traveling with, needing multiple rooms. I am going to try another Mahwah hotel. There are several -- on Rt. 17 and a few just off Rt. 17.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here one night for business. Good location off the freeway, but that comes with noise, so I asked for a room on the opposite side of the building. Quiet over on the other side. Room was a standard Courtyard-style room. Biggest complaint were the thin walls...you can hear the TV in the next room and it sounds as if it was in my own room. Didn't seem to have many dining options close by for dinner, so I ate at the BISTRO. Decent food and service, but not a huge menu. Did not stay for breakfast in the morning.

Would stay again on next visit to area for business.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler1966_MI

Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated as we value our business travelers. Keep in mind with the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating business or personal travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Courtyard Mahwah? Share your experiences!