“Great Stay”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed here for business. Location was ideal. the room was clean and tidy, the bed comfortable. Very nicely furnished. Great breakfast the next morning with Starbucks coffee. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jeaneane, General Manager at Courtyard Mahwah, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated. With the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Long Island
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just a quick update for this property. I am a Platinum member that travels a lot (75 - 100 nights each year) on business and am approaching lifetime Platinum status. This hotel has all the Courtyard renovations and just received new beds in all of the rooms. I really didn't notice the need for new beds but after sleeping on the new ones - they are fantastic and I slept great. What really made me want to write this update was a very nice touch that I have not seen before at a hotel property. We had some March snow this weekend in NJ. I woke up early to scrape off my car before my morning business meeting only to find that the hotel had beat me to it. They had scraped off - not only my car - but all of the cars in the parking lot. A nice example of going that extra step and I wanted to mention it. Great hotel, great people, great service.

Room Tip: La Gondola down the road on Route 17 has great pizza.
2 Thank JMACKLongIsland
Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated. To date, we have received many positive remarks, as our remodeling has been standardized throughout the Courtyard brand and it has been well received. Thank you for your kind words but its our pleasure to serve our guests. We pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. Keep in mind with the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel often -- almost always one night stays (once or twice I stayed two nights). I am a simple client -- I arrive late, I stay one night, I don't need a lot (just the basics), I don't need maid service done at a certain time, etc.

My first few visits were "good" -- not exceptional, but "good" (see my previous review, which was a "good" review). Now, I expect "good" (for a one-night stay) at a $100 to $120 hotel -- but I do expect more at a Courtyard Marriott (based upon all of my Marriott Courtyard experiences in various cities, and throughout NJ). Now, you have to understand, I am a Marriott fan (and a big fan of Courtyard properties). I stay at Marriott properties all over, and they are always my first or second choice wherever I travel. Having a lot of stays/experiences with Marriott, and many with Courtyard properties, I have a lot of comparison points -- not only comparisons to Marriott and other Courtyard properties, but to many other hotels/properties. Regardless, I am a Marriott fan. Note -- I do not know if this property is privately-owned or owned/operated by Marriott.

All of this said, my last few visits have not been as good. They've actually been "not good" in several areas. If you know this hotel, when you book it, you know it's on Rt. 17 (South) -- and that's it. Maybe you hear some noise, maybe you won't. It doesn't matter -- it's on Rt. 17 like other hotels in Mahwah, so if you don't like noise, the possibility exists, so find a hotel "off" Rt. 17. Thus, I don't put a lot of credibility into the "noise" complaints. On my first few visits, I seemed to get "newer" or "remodeled" rooms. There may have been a hiccup or something, but all in all, the rooms were fine. These rooms had always been clean, and appeared to be well maintained. In thinking about it, each time I had an "internal room" -- one that overlooked the courtyard and did not look out to the parking lot or Rt. 17 -- the room seemed to be nice. Maybe these are the rooms that have been remodeled.

So, now, the past few stays. First, the rooms I've gotten have been sub-par in several areas -- ranging from little things, to more significant -- light-bulbs out, poor lighting, TV reception, not clean, damp, etc. On my last two or three stays the heat/AC was extreme -- either the room was too cold or two hot. I couldn't get the room a comfortable temperature, setting. The dampness concerned me as well. There have been a few "service" issues as well -- customer-service. I sometimes feel as if they are "rushing" me -- off the phone, dismissing my call, question, whatever it is. Customer service is important in a service industry.

Second, while it may seem minor, on my last visit, there were a series of little things -- all of which added up to a "not good at all" experience. When I called for a reservation, I was put on hold for around 7 minutes. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all if I was told I needed to wait or if someone took my number and called me back. When I got there, the front desk person "asked" if I would like, and pretty much "suggested" a room on "the other side of the building...overlooking the mountain(s)". Now, I know where the mountains are, and when the person pointed they pointed "behind" them, so I was clear what this person was saying, suggesting, etc. Now I had never been on that side of the building, and never had that type/location of room. Thus, I agreed to this room. This room is not "on the other side of the building" as described -- it is in the very back of the building (not the back from where the front-desk person described, but the exact opposite side that faces Rt. 17). It also DOES NOT overlook the mountains! It overlooks the rear parking lot and woods. There are no rooms over there (from what I can tell, that overlook the mountains). I mistakingly drove on that side of the building -- the north side -- because that's where the front-desk person told me the room was; and there doesn't appear to be rooms that overlook the mountains, that direction. Maybe you can see the mountains from a north-facing internal room that overlooks the courtyard, but that's not the point.

Small things -- only two drinking glasses, no bag inside the ice bucket, only one small bar of soap and it was the facial soap (there was no "body" or "bath" soap). It was 30 degrees out, but the AC seemed to be on. I checked, and regardless of what the wall-unit thermostat said, cold air was coming out of the unit. I raised the temperature, and it got extremely hot. In the end, it was either too hot or too cold. The room was also damp at first, as if it had been "sprayed" a great deal during cleaning. Ironically, after the heat took over, the room quickly dried out, unfortunately to the point of it being too dry. I had no choice was the room was very cold (and damp). All of this is interesting, ironic actually -- because the front-desk person had said they "had plenty of rooms" and this was obvious as the parking lot was empty when I arrived and the next morning. This property is taking on more of a "motel" mentality in my mind, and between service, quality, etc. -- it's been hit or miss. Not what I expect from a Marriott Courtyard property.

I think many of the rooms (that I've been seeing) are older. I know other parts of the hotel have been worked on (the quasi-restaurant, the lobby, etc.), but the rooms I've seen need work. Service, maintenance, customer-service needs works. The rooms need to be cleaner and better maintained. The little things, and some big things, have been making my stays sub-par. I am going to be in the area in the coming weeks, with several people I am traveling with, needing multiple rooms. I am going to try another Mahwah hotel. There are several -- on Rt. 17 and a few just off Rt. 17.

United States
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night for business. Good location off the freeway, but that comes with noise, so I asked for a room on the opposite side of the building. Quiet over on the other side. Room was a standard Courtyard-style room. Biggest complaint were the thin walls...you can hear the TV in the next room and it sounds as if it was in my own room. Didn't seem to have many dining options close by for dinner, so I ate at the BISTRO. Decent food and service, but not a huge menu. Did not stay for breakfast in the morning.

Would stay again on next visit to area for business.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveler1966_MI
Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated as we value our business travelers. Keep in mind with the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating business or personal travel in the area soon we hope you choose us again.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family and I stayed here while shopping at Woodbury Commons. It was about a 15-20 minute drive from the hotel to outlets and it was conveniently located right off the highway. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was helpful. The room was nice. We got a room with a king bed with a mini fridge and a pull out sofa for the kids. The hotel had a pool that needs some updating and a jacuzzi that was out of service. There was also a fitness room with some treadmills. Overall, the hotel was a great price and a great location for Woodbury Commons.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't face the highway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lava F
Your complimentary review earlier this year was very much appreciated. Thank you for your kind words its our pleasure to serve our guests. We are happy our convenience and comparable value worked well with your travel plans. Keep in mind with the holidays comings we are looking forward to new and returning guests so if you are contemplating travel again in the area we hope you choose us again.
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed January 16, 2013

On our way back to NC, we stopped at this Courtyard on the NY/NJ border. It is an older, traditional "Courtyard" property that has been extensively reomodeled with a modern decor in the common areas and guest rooms. However, beyond the cosmetics, service was average at best and poor at worst. It was New Year's Eve and the staff seemed like they would have preferred to not be bothered. There are no noticeable perks as a Gold Elite member -- no upgrades, no free water, nothing. Just, "thank you for being a Gold Elite member" in a monotone. We ordered some food in the Bistro, which was decent -- but again, nothing to rave about. However, the server/cook (all food is pre-made in the Bistro) appeared to be annoyed at having to do work.

The pool/hot tub was nice and the shower pressure was good. The beds were comfortable enough, though the heating was weak and the room felt cold (despite turning it up). The bathrooms are very small and functional but there are separate sinks outside the bathroom facilities.

With better service, I would rate this hotel higher. Until then, there are probably more customer-friendly options nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Falls Church, Virginia, USA
Reviewed December 9, 2012

It's located right along Rt. 17, which makes it convenient to get at. Considering the location and the fairly cramped quarters of the lot it's built on, it's a surprisingly quiet setup. Well screened by trees and with the Ramapo mountains behind the property to give it a "mountain" feel.

The hotel is nice, recently renovated, and clean. The rooms are comfortable and well furnished. Good hotel.

Room Tip: I think the interior rooms overlooking the courtyard would be especially nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Courtyard Mahwah? Share your experiences!