“Not bad”
Review of Super 8 Mahwah

Super 8 Mahwah
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed December 8, 2009

My husband and I wanted a reasonably cheap hotel to stay in for our shopping trip to Woodbury and booked into Super 8 Mahwah for one night. I was initially skeptical having read the reviews but it turned out pretty ok. As we were not familiar with the highways and the hotel's name did not turn up on the Garmin we were using, it took us a while to get there from Manhattan. We had to try the GPS again as we came nearer to Mahwah and the hotel's name popped up.
The 2 x double bed room was sizeable although a little tired looking but it suited us just fine. We could fit our 5 luggages into the room and still lots of room to walk about. Bathroom had little cracks here and there but hey, as long as the shower works well, who's complaining - this is not 5 star after all. Only 20 minutes to Woodbury and only USD69 a night, it's a cheap decent place to stay. Don't expect great service and you will be just fine....

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2009

I placed a morning call for 8:30 am, the phone ring at 3:50am.
During the breakast, my wife asked a little bit more jam, the answer is : you got waht you have here.

The front desk (the girl with glasses) was cold , no smiley...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Junkie2mtl
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I have never felt the need to write a review before this - but I must spare anyone the horrible experience of staying at this hotel! It was absolutely filthy and the smell in the entire hotel was sickening- no housekeeping unless demanded (even then they just "cleaned" the bathroom). The staff was very rude. So not worth saving a few dollars!!!! I will never go to this hotel again - I hope you don't either!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank OhioFamily7
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Easy to get to on Rt. 17 but that causes you to hear road noise if the room faces the road. Seems newly renovated and was beautiful inside. Worth every penny and it wasn't expensive.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I was hesitant to stay here due to the negative reviews. But I gave Super 8 Mahwah a try anyway, and was glad I did. Maybe previous guests had problems here when it was being remodeled. I had a terrific experience. No complaints. NONE.

This is a newly modeled hotel. New everything. Bedding, carpeting, furniture, TV, lamps, etc. The room was SPOTLESS. no scratches, dirt, blemishes, or imperfections. Bathroom was immaculate with new shower heads and tiles. If this hotel wasn't the cleanest one I've ever stayed at it was damn near close. If you weren't told it was remodeled you would think it was newly built and you were there for the grand opening.

I lived in this area for 33 years. While I don't live here anymore I visit frequently, and Super 8 Mahwah is tops on my list of places to stay. Excellent accomodations at an affordable price. What more can you ask???

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 20, 2007

First, the front desk clerk must have been asleep in a back room because I rang the bell 4 or 5 times. The hotel is being remodeled so it was kinda messy. The room had a coffee maker, but no coffe pot. It was non-smoking room - but had an ashtray on top of the TV.

I forgot my digital camera, (Kodak EasyShare z730) in the room when we checked out. I contacted the hotel a couple hours later, to no surprise, no one turned it in, and the housekeeper Susan Mann, had already left for the day. I contacted everyone in management at the hotel, not because the camera was expensive, but because we had our entire family vacation on the memory card. The manager didn't even consider that her housekeeper would have stolen it. I wonder how many times this has happened there. I would not say anything if I was not 100% POSITIVE I left it in the room. I have filed a written complaint to the hotel.

I would never recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank VacationWoman35
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Another dog show weekend -- it's tough to find hotels that still take dogs (at least for under Westin rates <g>). The Super 8 was close to the show site but at $70 a night (with tax and the $10 'pet' fee which wasn't uniformly charged) it was ok.

The property is undergoing an exterior facelift...it needs it inside as well. My first night reservation for a n/s/ king was fine -- no complaints. My second reservation, a night later was for a n/s double which I'd confimed again when checking out on Friday am. Funny thing though, Saturday night when I arrived to take the room, they'd booked the room to someone else. I was livid...to put it mildly. When you book via triprewards, you have to cancel more than 24 hours in advance to avoid paying a 1 night penalty -- nice that the hotel can still do what it wants though. No doubles were available and it took some time, but we were able to secure 2 n/s queen rooms for the same amount of $$. This was acceptable, but really should have never happened.
The continental breakfast was meager -- cereals and english muffins when I checked. Not even OJ was available (though you could get some from the vending machine).

There is a DoubleTree next door -- if you're not traveling with pets and have a larger budget, I'd absolutely go there instead of the Super 8. You can usually get a great price via Priceline <g>

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank tervs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Sheraton Mahwah Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Best Western The Inn At Ramsey
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#6 of 8 in Mahwah

Been to Super 8 Mahwah? Share your experiences!