“Third time but not a charm (handicap accessible)” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Super 8 Mahwah
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
“Third time but not a charm (handicap accessible)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

Here it is, time for our visit to the NY Renfaire. My wife cannot walk. She gets about in a powered chair. We reserved one of the two HP rooms listed on the website (prepaid, even). I had a confirmed reservation for three people in a HP accessible room for two nights.

At check in the guy at the front desk first said they had no rooms, then that they were booked full, then that he did not see a reservation - when I offered to show him the confirmation number from email on my cell phone he magically found our reservation.

Next bit of good news: the room we reserved and prepaid for was occupied. We could have a regular room. So... I asked the following questions:
1. My wife can't walk. Period. A regular room?
2. Regular rooms are up stairs or an elevator. We do (exactly) WHAT in the event of an emergency?
3. One word: RESERVATION. Look it up. It's not hard.

The manager was (of course) not available. Ever. The desk clerk (apparently) spoke to her (I'm guessing, the name on the business card is female) briefly while we were there and she (apparently) did not care a whit.

We could have a regular room the first night and they would move our bags to the HP room for the second night. Oh, and there's no extra charge for the regular room, he says. Um. I'm not going to discuss how stupid that sounds.

So my choices are to forget the weekend holiday and go home or carry my wife where ever she needs to go - minor things like... oh... toilet, bed and down a flight of stairs if there's an emergency. I can lift her and the Renfaire is her absolute favorite vacation. So our vacation becomes a BIT less my vacation, thank you super8. All I'll say about the room the first night is that there was ONE washcloth (complete with black marks of some sort on it), one hand towel and one towel in the bathroom and the wireless internet wasn't working.

The website shows two handicap accessible rooms and there are two HP parking spots in the lot. On our first night the desk clerk denied a second room saying the website was wrong.

The whole time we were there I parked in one of the two HP parking spots. The second night the second spot had no vehicle in it. The second night a different clerk said yes, they have a second handicap room, it's across the hall from the one we were in. Um. I'm guessing it is where they store the extra waffles and english muffins so they're not renting the space out? Whatever.

Coming back into the motel on the second day the desk clerk gave me a new key to the HP room. Having stayed there last year, I knew there was one bed and a recliner in the room so I asked if the recliner was the third sleeping accommodation - the website gives the room occupancy as three (Wife, son and myself). He tells us the room sleeps two, not three and there isn't a recliner in the room. He can get us a rollaway bed and it is an extra ten dollar charge. And yes, the recliner is not there but you can still see the impression of its weight in the carpet where it was before. Again, one washcloth, hand towel, towel (sans black marks this time), no internet.

Did I mention I had a confirmed, prepaid reservation for three people in a HP accessible room for two nights? This is approaching ludicrous at light-speeds.

My wife (and I) could have enjoyed the Renfaire for the entire three day weekend (holiday weekend) but she was in pain from (you guessed it) being unaccustomed to being carried everywhere in the room the first night. The second day was not as good for her as it could have been so we did a lot of sitting and people watching instead of mingling and enjoying the Faire. We went home and didn't go to the Faire at all the third day because of it.

I never did get to see the manager. I tried calling a couple of times and left my cell phone number. Zip. There's some STERLING service for ya, that is.

I called the corporate customer service number and explained the entire mess to them.

CORPORATE apologized *profusely* (no less than 10 or so separate times for the first phone conversation and I lost count for the second call), gave me a reference number and told me they were sending it to a "specialist" to investigate. I spoke with them about a week later. Some interesting facts:
1.) the front desk blamed the reservation "error" on corporate. One HP room, two HP rooms - the website is wrong, so says super8-Mahwah.
2.) the front desk blamed corporate for overbooking. "They do it all the time".
3.) -- and this is the payoff -- the customer service specialist explained to me that super8 is a franchise and the individual motel managers (owners) are responsible for their own web content. So much for excuses 1 and 2.

The result of the second call was that super8 would refund the one night we had to stay in the regular room and for the rollaway bed for the second night. We did get the HP room for the second night. The holiday was fairly well RUINED, but we *did* get the room we reserved on the second night.

Wrap up:
1.) Super8 motels are franchises. What you get will ABSOLUTELY depend on the integrity of the management and staff at a specific location.

2.) Does the super8-Mahwah have one HP room or two? I don't know.

3.) I will forgive a lot, but there are limits to both my patience and my willingness to overlook a lack of service. I DO expect to "get what I pay for". No more, no less.

4.) We have no plans of ever staying at the super8-Mahwah again. I will be open-minded about other Super 8 motels because of the franchise operation, but not Mahwah.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank codewarrior9999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Shaftsbury, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

The employees are not only unfriendly but borderline rude. The non-smoking section we were in had a nasty smell of stale cigarette smoke (and that was the first thing you smell when you walk in the lobby as well, should have been my clue to walk back out!). It will be the first and last time I stay there!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Smarti927

Travelers are raving about these Mahwah hotels

Newport, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We had a reservation, but did NOT stay. After driving for 4 hours, stopped at the hotel to confirm our reservation and was told "Check in is at 3." This was not a problem - we were going to get a train into the city and knew in advance that check in was at 3 pm. I asked if I could use a rest room and got a flat "NO". Desk attendant (wish I had gotten her name) was rude, matter-of-fact, and had an “'I don't care if you stay here" attitude. Went down the road and CHECKED IN (no waiting until 3 pm) at the Hampton Inn. I cannot say enough about them - they treated us like kings. It was SO worth the extra money to be welcomed and treated like human beings, instead of trash. This was to be our first experience with Super 8 - and though we never even saw the room, it made a lasting impression. NEVER will we stay at a Super 8. Never.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlottte,NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Nice, Quiet, Clean. Next to a steak house and Mc Donalds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manasquan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

While we have stayed at this Super 8 every time we are in the area, it may be time to find someplace new. This past visit was a total disappointment! The rates continue to go up and with a pet fee of $10, our one night stay was $93! It took 20 minutes for the counter man to process us in and he wasn't really very knowledgable or helpful. I had to make a trip back to the counter to get the internet access code even tho I told him we would be using the internet. Then I find it was not working - another trip to the front desk and the gentleman had no answers. Another patron suggested I use the lobby of the hotel next door as the Super 8 seemed to be having problems. The room had a distinct odor as did the hallways. Addressing the problems with a manger the next morning resulted in nothing accomplished as she had an answer for everything - the counter man was new and still learning, they were replacing the routers, the prices have been going up all along, blah, blah, blah! What happened to customer service and "the customer is always right"? Sad to say, while the prices are going up, the services are going down. What did I pay $93 for ... no internet? just a room with a bed?/ cable channels cut in half? no fridge or microwave? lousy service? and an attitude when trying to resolve any issues? Yep! Time to find another hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank ginny110411
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

The hotel has a weird smell - I think it's all the carpeting which could stand to be torn out. The carpet in my room could have used a good vacuuming at the least. I inspected all the sheets before climbing into bed - no sign of any bugs or dirt, so that was good. The bathroom wasn't immaculate, but it was fairly clean. I did pay $10 extra to reserve a non-smoking room. After a long day of traveling, I carried my luggage up to my room to find the door to my room ajar. I tentatively walked through the door, and was greeted by the smell of what was obviously a smoking room. I promptly returned to the front desk and the clerk found me a non-smoking room. It would have been nice to have had what I requested in the first place, but I was happy the front desk clerk took care of it quickly. The air conditioner was pretty noisy, but I was happy it worked. As far as the continental breakfast goes - I stayed at a Super 8 by the Chicago Midway airport in 2010 and they had a wonderful free breakfast. The breakfast at this Super 8 was pretty unappetizing - frosted flakes, cheerios, frozen waffles, english muffins and some mystery pastries left out in a plastic bin. At least there was coffee and orange juice! Of course, there is a McDonald's right next door so you won't starve.

All in all, I am happy I saved some money by staying at this place, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We moved from CA and were looking for a place however did not want to get into a lease agreement; Super 8 came to our rescue. They do have long stay guest rates. This property is conveniently located. Yes, there were some teething issues; however the manager and staff are very competent of handling them. The housekeeping and front desk staff is very friendly. Note: It's not the Ritz Carlton or The Four Seasons; however you will get more than you pay. The morning continental breakfast is filling that is included in the rate. There are no bed bugs and also we had a non-smoking room which was clean. I did have some wireless connectivity issues which were taken care of. There are many guests who have been staying here for a long time. Also the McDonald's next to this hotel has the best staff too. I wish the staff and management of Super 8 Mahwah, all the success and our best wishes. Keep it Up!!

Room Tip: There are weekly rates and long stay rates. Also after 3 months of continous staying one does not pa...