“Got better again”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Got better again”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Seems as though the dinner is back on track. Been here a couple of times again recently and it is back to the state line I knew.

1 Thank MRM1952

Mahwah, New Jersey
“This is the place to go”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place never disappoints. The question is are you going for the food or to see who is there. On the weekend the place is packed. You can't go wrong with the eggs and toast and coffee.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sheryl T
“Good Experience”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Can recommend this spot - has a good value and is an excellent experience for dining out!
Spread the word, when in the area that this spot is easy to reach (a bit hard to find parking during busy times) but nevertheless well worth it!

• Visited January 2014
“Literally the worst Diner I've ever been to”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Being a student at Ramapo College, only a stones throw away from State Line, I've been here numerous times. And somehow, each time I enter the establishment I am more and more disgusted with the level of service that I am given. From the moment you enter- you feel unwelcome. The manager always seems to be miserable that another person would walk through the door to bother him by wanting food in exchange for money. And if the owners do not want people to come in to eat after 9pm, then they should close at 9pm rather than advertising themselves as a 24 hour establishment. I understand that I am a college student and looked down on because of my age, but last time I checked my money was just as good as the next person. I order real meals, and I tip well even when I wait over 30 minutes for my food even though my table is the only table in the entire restaurant. Never in my life have I experienced this level of poor treatment in an service oriented establishment. Having my server shout from across the restaurant when I politely asked for a refill of soda, after they walked away because they couldn't remember that it was sprite. But the part that really takes the cake is the fact that I've waited more than 45 minutes for my bill after finishing my meal, all the while my server was chatting with the managers and texting a mere three tables away but couldn't be bothered to check on his tables. While it may be the most convenient place to go for a late night meal, I will never set foot in the State Line Diner again.

3 Thank Sanddollar92
Warwick, New York
“Went downhill over the years”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Been coming here for over 10 years and used to be a great place to go but we are repeatedly disappointed every time we go now. Everything from the rude staff (one of the girls who rings you up to a heavy set rude waitress) who is rude all the time! I mean at least several times we've had her.. and every time she's just miserable. We used to love the food there and larger portion sizes but even that is now going downhill. I guess they got too popular for their own good so they take the $ and forget customer service, respect etc. Not to mention our last horrible experience paying $20++ for a small regular garden salad because I added shrimp on top. Seriously? at a diner? My husband said - that's it. We're never going back. Too many bad experiences. Oh and they expect you to "tip" when you order ahead and pick up at the counter. I guess walking the bag of food to the cash register deserves a tip to the host? And that wasn't a one time thing either. They really need to change that... we're done. Unless management changes, we aren't going back.

4 Thank gigimeg
statelinediner, Manager at State Line Diner, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
We are sorry to hear you haven't enjoyed some recent experiences. I feel we shouldn't be judged on one waitress or a bad experience with a waitress as we have some very good staff. We certainly want every experience, however to be enjoyable. In reference to your shrimp comment; these are the same jumbo shrimp we use on our dinners, which cost a fair amount, hence the additional cost of $9.95 on salads. We are sorry that we don't have a cheaper alternative, but we keep the quality instead of offering quantity. The same shrimp are not offered anywhere else at a cheaper price.
Lastly, the tip that you can choose to leave or not on orders to go are for the waitress which took
The order. While she is still taking her regular tables, she is taking time to put the order in, prep it, get it together, pack it, add sauces,etc. the only thing she doesn't do that she would do if you were to dine in house, is check to see if you wanted another drink or dessert. Some people feel this warrants a tip, sometimes less than the usual 15-20%, but no matter what, it is up to your own discretion. This tip is no way for the hostess to bring it to the register. This is part of her job.
The diner has proudly been under the same ownership for 38 years, and operated with the same principles of offering quality and service. We hope you reconsider your thoughts and see you again soon.
T. Nissirios, GM