“Friendly, small-town vibe”

Cuisines: Indian
Allendale, New Jersey
“Friendly, small-town vibe”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Having recently moved to the area from a more rural county, I missed the places where I could walk in and feel like everyone knew me, treated me like a firend. Spice Melody is such a place in the middle of an often-snobby county. This is a wonderful family-run business. The waitresses and owners were so lovely to us the first time we went there, that we keep going back. And they remember us every time.
My understanding is that the Mom of the family does the cooking, so the best items on the menu are reflective of her skills and experience. We were intially disappointed that there is no Chicken Makhani (Butter chicken) or Rogan Josh on the menu, but truth be told, the saucy stews are not where Spice Melody shines. The lamb Biryani is AWESOME...I have to make myself try something different every once in a while. My daughter's favorite is the Malai Kebab and it is excellent. The Palak Paneer is also really nice.
It's a BYOB and the prices are pretty reasonable. The dining room is nicely decorated, but small and they are starting to get popular. We go early and never have a problem getting a seat.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Theresa C

Mahwah, New Jersey
“Singing their praises . . .”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Spice Melody is a true family-run gem of an Indian restaurant in an unexpected location on Franklin Tpke., next to Bon Appetit in Mahwah. We've been there three times and think it's the best Indian food in Bergen County!

This byob restaurant is quite small, but service is always efficient. At lunch time they offer a sort of buffet where you tell them what you want from the steam table and they bring it to you. Dinner is served to order. Note that they close between lunch and dinner service. Everything is complex, balanced and flavorful -- even the mild dishes. Most notable is the naan they make in their own kitchen (we always get two orders)!

This is real Indian home-cooking at very reasonable prices, served in a casual, welcoming environment. There is no need to travel to NYC for superb Indian fare.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Anne C
New York City, New York
“A wonderful little place!”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Don't be put off by their small, cramped little dining area. They're new in town, and hopefully will develop into something bigger and better! First thing's first-- their Malai Kofta is the very BEST I've ever had. The sauce is so well spiced and the kofta balls are tender and flavorful. And trust me, I'm from Hoboken, where Karma Kafe has been rated one of the top Indian Restaurants in New Jersey. This place is so small and so bare, but really packs a punch of personality. I'm pretty sure it's family run too. With mom and dad in the kitchen and the daughter(s?), waiting tables. BYOB- it's always worth it. The naan is good also. This place is very inexpensive as well. It isn't located in the most romantic part of Mahwah, but you quickly forget about the nearby highway when you bite into their food. I highly recommend supporting this establishment.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank ShadOcat
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Best Indian in north jersey
All fresh vegetables with lighter take on sauces
Friendly staff unlike other Indian restaurants in the area

1 Thank 57gasser