“Great Stay and Clean Hotel”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We just spend our weekend at Homewood Suites, this is the first time we stayed in this hotel. One of my friends recommended to us. We've got a 2 bedroom suites, so our in laws could stay with us. The room and bathroom is clean, which i'm very impressed because it much cleaner than some of the 4 star hotel. It's great for family with young children and extended family as well. I cant wait to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2009

We've just finished our 9-night stay and I was very pleased with this hotel. We are in transition of a home move so we needed a bit more space than in a normal hotel room. Additionally this was located very near my husband's office so it was a perfect location for us. There are quite a few businesses located on the road, so I would recommend it to anyone needing to do business here. Our suite was located on the 3rd floor and was quiet, spacious and very clean. The kitchenette is a WONDERFUL amenity.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The gym was small, but the equipment was all new and in very good condition and the gym itself was very clean! Water and towels available and if you had a workout video there was a VHS and DVD for you to play them. We didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting and very clean! There is a small laundry room on the property and I used it twice - again a great amenity when you have to make a hotel your home for over a week! The laundry machines are reasonably priced and the room itself was very clean.

The morning breakfast is ok. Nothing 5-star, but they had a nice selection of breakfast options. Cereals, toast and some hot items as well. We never snacked in the evening, so I can't comment on that.

My one negative is there isn't wireless in the suites. This could be a bit inconvenient if there are more than one person staying in the room as it was for us.

Overall - a great place for extended stay!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The hotel has some nice features which include the light dinner during business evenings (Monday through Thursday) and free alcohol with the meal as well.

Overall the hotel is good quality and very clean. The only odd damage I found in the place was that the tile floor in the bathroom is "soft" meaning that the sub-floor is not strong enough for the tile. So the grout is coming up all over the floor and sooner or later the tiles themselves will likely become loose and/or pop out of place.

The hotel is built into the side of a hill. At the front of the building, you will walk into the second floor. My room was on the first/lower floor which felt a little strange for some reason. This is the ground floor from the back of the hotel.

My room was not well designed. Both windows essentially looked out five feet into a concrete wall. This is specific to the suite that I had. Other rooms were well laid out. If I were paying the money for personal use, I probably would have griped about it but since it was business, I didn't care so much.

I had one strange incident while visiting for the week. The fire alarm went off in the middle of the night one night. It was a false alarm but it makes you wonder how often this happens.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I loved this place. Stayed there for a week while visiting my corporate office. Very roomy, great "welcome home" snacks. Bed was very comfy. Overall, really liked everything.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We just returned from our stay at the Homewood Suites in Mahwah NJ. I have to say, it was a wonderful trip.

We arrived on Friday afternoon, and we were quickly greeted by 2 clerks. The checked us in quickly and had a friendly manner. Our room was very close to the lobby, but was so quiet ... no lobby noise at all.

Our room was clean and spacious. I love having the separate living room and the kitchen. The bedroom had two double beds with plenty of pillow, soft sheets and plenty of blankets. The bed was a little harder than I liked, but it was comfortable enough.

There were flat screen televisions and DVD players in both the living room and bedroom. The windows let a tremendous amount of light into the room when the curtains were open, and then completely locked the light when the curtains were closed. EXCELLENT! The kitchen was well stocked for our needs. The maid ran the dishwasher for a glass, bowl and spoon. I thought that was odd and wasteful.

The bathroom was broken up into two areas... a sink area and a tub/toilet area. I liked the separation because I was able to use the facilities while my sister was using the sink area. The towels were large, soft and absorbant. They only provided 3 towels to us each day, but I was told by other guests that they were able to get additional towels easily when they called the front desk.

Our room was made up early in the day, and the maid did not touch our personal items.

I did not use the gym or pool, but the outdoor area around the pool was lovely ... a very comfortable place to sit and relax.

There was plenty of parking in the hotel lot and lots of shopping nearby. Really ... you can find just about anything you need within a 5 minute drive.

The hotel had wireless Internet access in the public areas which seemed to work reasonably well. The hotel clerk advised that the rooms only had wired Internet service, but the wireless worked in my room which was very close to the lobby.

This was our second visit to this hotel, and I would certainly return again!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 6, 2009

The hotel is in a very quiet area. Reception was very welcoming and although they were having trouble with getting some of the electronic keys we did get some chocoloate cookies to compensate. The hotel was either or recently updated as everything appeared to be in very good condition and the accommodation was excellent. As is usual for this chain there is a small shop attached to reception which can be very useful.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed at this hotel in mid October 2008. I was travelling with my Husband, Son (aged 3), Mum and Dad. We booked a two bed, two bath suite. The only downside to this was the size of the two beds in one of the rooms, but not enough that it bothered us overly.

To start with my Husband, Son and I checked in around 12 and our room was ready. We dumped our bags and then went to pick my parents up from Newark airport. The room was very clean but smelled slightly of smoke. However, by the time we got back it was no longer a problem and the smell was gone.

The front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful and the hotel was nicely dressed for halloween, including a bowl of candy which my son thought was great!

The room was a really good size with each bedroom and a bathroom off the main sitting room/kitchen area. The bathrooms were split in two with the bath and toilet in one small room and the sink in another. We don't travel light and even with all our gubbins there was lots of space.

The bedrooms were well soundproofed from the sitting area, so we were able to put my son down to sleep and know we wouldn't disturb him by running a bath or having the tv on. There are tv's in each bedroom and the sitting area!

For travelling with a large family or grandparents I can highly recommend this type of room as it keeps costs down and everyone still has their own space.

The managers reception was nice, it is in a vaulted room beneath the lobby and features, wine, beer and soft drinks. It was a really nice way to just sit and relax together.

The suite start breakfast featured things like cereals, omlettes, toast, yoghurts, etc. This is in the vaulted room too.

It is really convinent for Newark airport, only about 30 or so mins to Woodbury Commons (see seperate review) and not to far from Manhattan, although this is a bit of a nightmare to get to and from once you reach Jersey City, also really convienient for the Hudson Valley too.

Overall we were really pleased with this hotel and would defnitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
1 mi away
Courtyard Mahwah
Courtyard Mahwah
#4 of 8 in Mahwah

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah? Share your experiences!