“Nice and Quiet”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
“Nice and Quiet”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Nice hotel with good rooms and a great buffet breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Westwood
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Homewood Suites in Mahwah saved the day for me and my two dogs during the power outage from the October snowstorm. I only wish that I'd thought of this escape from no electricity, heat and hot water sooner. From the moment we arrived, the staff was very friendly and helpful. They even welcomed my dogs with biscuits, and one of the staff members brought my bags from the car to the room. The woman at the desk gave me menus for several restaurants that deliver. The housekeeping staff was also very accommodating. I was impressed by the suite. Having space with a kitchen and a living area that's separate from the bedroom makes you feel more at home. The room was clean and had a light, fresh scent (not at all overpowering). The bathroom has a large vanity area that's separate from the toilet and shower. The bed had an excellent mattress, warm comforter and plenty of both soft and firm pillows. I also found that it was quiet, which is always a plus. The small shop (with snacks, drinks, and necessities) came in handy. The rates are competitive, but I do think that the pet fee should be refundable since there was no damage. The breakfast could be a little better - they either ran short on bagels, pastries and muffins, or just didn't replenish. As for my dogs, it was nice to be able to take them from the lobby for walks on the grass - which is limited but adequate. You can definitely take them for long walks around the hotel parking lot and the municipal building lot, which is adjacent to the property. The only thing that I wish they could have provided was a little detergent to hand wash dishes/utensils as I didn't want to waste water running the dishwasher for just a few things (not a big deal though). I'm so glad that I found this hotel because it provided the perfect getaway from my house during a terrible power outage. If this ever happened again, I won't hesitate to go here right away.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights (a Friday and Saturday) while in the area for some family obligations. I really liked this place. The room was spacious and cozy, with a little kitchenette, "living room," bathroom and bedroom. There are doors between the bedroom, bathroom, and living room/kitchen, so you can sequester off part of the room. The bed linens are the current trend of sheet and down-like duvet. I don't personally like that set up... however, a generous extra blanket was available in the room.

They provide a few extra toiletries in the room - shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel, and mouthwash. Nice touch.

Good breakfast. I especially liked that they got local bagels for their breakfast bar. In Northern NJ there is no excuse for serving frozen/mass marketed bagels...the locals will know right away, and there's always a good bagel place nearby. The breakfast area is bright and sunny. In the afternoon they put out a plate of yummy chocolate chocolate chip cookies at the front desk.

The location is within a business park with nothing to walk to nearby. It's a little tricky to find because you get off the highway one way and get back on the highway another. It is less than 1/2 a mile off of Route 17, and there's a small shopping area about 1/2 mile the other direction for restaurants or shopping. The neighborhood was quiet on the weekend, and I can't comment how it is during the week.

This place seems to be frequented by families with kids involved in various regional events on the weekend. A school-age kids soccer team (with parents and siblings) and a dance group (again, parents & siblings) were staying there while we were there. It wasn't my preference to have so many kids around, but aside from a little chaos around the breakfast area it wasn't too bad. Mostly the kids were under control.

Spacious business center, free wifi for guests, coffee maker with good coffee in the room. I was very pleased with our stay here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lafayette CA
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We have been staying in this hotel when we visit relatives every year or two for a week since it opened. The rooms are always clean and comfortable, the location off Route 17 is great (very quiet in a commercial area). The breakfast is good. I like to waffle machine! The evening weeknight dinners are adequate although we usually dine with family. We always use the fitness room too. We never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Monza, Italy
Reviewed September 12, 2011

standard homewood suites rooms.. The good thing is that the premise is located off Route 17 in a quieter location. Very clean overall.
Breakfast can be improved (even for a guest that has continental breakfast like myself).
TV sets not the best really.
Other hotels in the area have indoor swimming pool that would have helped during Tropical Storm Irene hitting the area...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed here to go to the Renaissance Faire in nearby Tuxedo Park. we had stayed at Homewood Suites in other places and loved the chain. We chose this one because the Ren Faire web site recommended it. We booked the Ren Faire package which was 2 nights and 2 adult tickets, so we thought it was a good deal. When we arrived at check-in, I asked about the tickets because the woman did not mention them upon check in. She said she was sorry, but they had sold out of tickets. How do you sell out of tickets? It's a festival--they don't close out ticket sales. I explained to her that I booked the package and therefore already paid for tickets and wanted them. She was able to "track a couple down" for me finally. OK, then we got to the room. It smelled so strongly of room deodorizer that, not only was it nauseating, but it had us wondering what they were trying to cover up. OK, so we got over that. Then headed down to the pool with the kids. Pretty nice pool, but outdoors and not heated, so only the kids were game. There were no towels despite the sign in our room asking us not to take our room towels because there are pool towels. My son (age 11) went to the front desk to ask for towels. The clerk said they were out of them. (Mind you, we were the ONLY people at the pool). OK--husband was able to convince the clerk that she could find a couple of towels. She found them, but informed us that they were "room" towels, whatever that was supposed to mean... Then, when we got back to the room to open the pullout for the kids, we went to the closet and looked for the bedding that is usually stored i the closet for the pullout. Not there. Yup, they were out of them! And, for the first time in my hotel staying history, the room ran out of TP. We were given 1 extra roll after visiting the front desk again to let them know. Driving around the area, we saw plenty of other hotels that, if we ever go to that faire again, we will try, including a Doubletree and a Comfort Suites.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank handmsmom
Champlain, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Wonderful hospitality. Monica always remembers who I am and has my reservation out as I am coming through the door!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbiemindy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah? Share your experiences!