“Very good Hampton Inn”

Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Clean, spacious, good breakfast and quick check in and out. Comfortable beds and wells maintained property. 15 minutes away from Woodbury Outlets but not easy to find. Staff was prompt at providing info.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the pool if you plan on sleeping in
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bonjours

Reviewed November 17, 2012

After staying in several other hotels in that area I decided to give a try also to this Hampton Inn & Suites thanks to my generally good experience with Hampton properties elsewhere. And I am glad I did. The hotel is clean with ample parking. The size of the hotel room was decent, very clean with everything in good working conditions. The breakfast is OK ... well, exactly what you can expect in Hampton Inn ... but the quality of the food was good and there were enough choices to start a day with a reasonable breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located for shopping in Woodbury Commons ... just of highway 17 and 15 minutes drive to shopping mecca. And the price was right ... pretty good value for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hurricane Sandy hit our area very hard. Most area residents (ourselves included) were without power, heat or phone service. Our elderly parents (in their 80's) could not find a room anywhere in Northern NJ. We physically brought them from hotel to hotel in an effort to find them a place to stay. Each one abruptly told them, "sorry no room."

This was not the case with the Hampton Inn & Suites in Mahwah. Instead of just immediately turning them away, the manager, Celeste, had them wait in the warm lobby of the hotel near a fire while she and her very capable staff handled the phones, guests and the many issues that were happening during the hurricane's aftermath. The staff was patient and kind to each guest. They listened to each person and handled issues with aplumb.

While waiting we noted that this hotel has a terrific open "living room style" and breakfast area where other guests were socializing and using the free hotel internet. The staff encouraged a great sense of family amongst the guests and offered everyone free coffee, hot chocolate and tea. After many days without power --- this service made all the difference in the world.

After some time past, the manager was able to get our parents a room to stay. It was a beautifully decorated studio type room with a king sized bed freshly made with clean duvet covers/sheets and a pull out sofa. Our mom walks with a cane so she appreciated that the rooms were so open and she could make her way around with ease.

Our parents ended up staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites for 7 more nights. Everyone who worked at the hotel insured that they were safe and warm during this crisis. They even enjoyed a FREE hot breakfast each morning. At their age, without heat or electricity for 7 days, it could have been a disaster. But instead, the fantasic people at the Hampton Inn and Suites made it their Home Away from Home. We will be sure to recommend them highly to family, friends and co-workers!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a room here for two nights during the widespread Hurricane Sandy power outages. It was filled with locals and semi-locals like ourselves who had lost electricity, phone, water, heat, etc! It was our first visit to a Hampton Inn and I was pleasantly surprised. The place was packed with worried, frustrated and unhappy guests, but the manager and staff remained calm, warm and friendly throughout even though many were without power in their own homes.

The room was clean if unusually laid out. There was an enormous desk that bisected the room, basically separating a king bed and a sleeper sofa. A flat screen TV mounted over one end of the desk swiveled so that it could be viewed from the couch or the bed. Clever!

Though maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing layout, it worked great for our family, Despite the sold-out status, I could not find fault with the room and the sofa bed already had clean sheets. After a somewhat late check-in, it was great not to have to track those down with multiple phone calls, which has often been the case at many four and five star hotels at which we've stayed. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows (felt like down). Another reviewer remarked that the bed was really hard. I did not find this to be the case though I realize this is a personal thing.

The view was of the parking lot and our busy local highway, though at this particular time we could marvel over the mile-long lines at the gas stations on this stretch of road. Our room was about as far from the elevator as one could get. At first, I was disappointed but we didn't hear a peep all night. Surprisingly quiet.

One of the kids was sick which delayed our arrival at breakfast. Though it was after the buffet shut down, Kelsey cheerfully helped me get milk, cheerios, fruit and a muffin for my toddler. There were lots of families there, some closing in on a week with another week booked. Anecdotally, most seemed very happy with the service they received and the staff interacted with some like old friends. Wifi was free and I was told by another guest extra computers had been set up in addition to the standard number in the business center to help out the guests.

I hope to never need a hotel so close to home again, but would not hesitate to recommend Hampton Inn to visitors. It was certainly a good first impression of the brand.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

When I arrived at check-in, the teenager at the front desk told me the room I requested (high floor) was ready and handed me my room keys.
When I got to my room, I didn't need the keys because the door was open. The cleaning staff was still getting the room ready.
The front desk girl made some calls via walkie-talkie and rebooked me into a floor on the 2nd floor.
All was good until I tried going to sleep to the sound of people stomping on the floor above and seemingly pacing around their room.
Either the people above were very overweight or the floors are flimsy and not up to hotel standard.
I was exhausted so I stayed in the room but when I advised the new front desk person that the people above were noisy, she gave a courtesy smile and said "sorry."
How about some Hilton points since I am a Hilton Honors member or some other acknowledgement to make things right?
I could have held them to their "satisfaction" pledge after all!
Not a do over.

Room Tip: Don't take a second floor room unless you have to.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Hoof-N-Hen
HISMAHWAH, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites - Mahwah, NJ. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and do our best to provide top notch customer service. I understand that the noise of guests walking around in the room above yours was an issue during your time with us. Please accept our apology for this disruption as we know how important a good night’s rest is while traveling. I do hope the next time you return to area you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide the quality service and stay you expect and deserve.

Best Regards,
Jennifer Nicholas

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I did some looking before my trip, I found that this Hampton Inn was rated number 1 in the area,and boy were the reviews right.The hotel was very clean, staff were very nice, and the pool was great. My room was super clean, and I had a room that looked at the parking lot, I turned on the fan on the a/c unit to stop any nose I could hear. I will stay here every time I make a trip south. It is so easy to get to, exit 66 off of I287, lots of places to eat also around the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms would be good
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was just about to put Hampton Inns on my "do not stay" list, but this property completely changed that. Check-in was great, lobby is very nice, and there is plenty of well-lit parking. I had asked for a quiet room, and I got one. Room was spacious, clean & comfortable. Plenty of electrical outlets and good lighting. Modern bathroom facilities with a nice shower.

My favorite feature was the Constant Fan button on the AC unit (see picture). I pushed this at night to drown out the little bit of ambient noise from the hallway and outside. Slept like a baby, which my ultimate desire at night. I will return again.

I checked other hotels in the area, and the rates were competitive.

Room Tip: Quiet room are in the back, on the top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business