“Just awful, sorry to say, not up to Hampton Inn quality at all” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
nyc
“Just awful, sorry to say, not up to Hampton Inn quality at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed the night of Sept 2nd over Labor Day weekend. They must have given the regular staff off because when we arrived Sunday night about 7pm, it looked like the front desk clerk was a high school girl. I asked her if she needed my Hilton card (I'm a gold honors member) and she said no. I asked her if it was a nice room, she just smiled at me, handed me the key card and said if I didn't like my stay I wouldn't have to pay. That didn't bode well for the rest of our stay.

On the way up to the room I grabbed a cup of decaf coffee from the self-serve bar. There were no lids so I could only fill it halfway. When I got upstairs I found it was tepid at best and spilled it out. The room itself (which was miles from the elevator) was a new style (to me) with a desk splitting the middle and a sofabed on 1 side and a king bed on the other. The sink that went with the bathroom was outside the toilet/bath. I'm saying this because when my son went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, he turned on the light and woke us all up.

And then the other dilemma. The a/c controls were next to the sofabed. We had our child with us and I don't know if they actually expect anyone to use the sofabed but I couldn't have the a/c blowing on our son all night. He was cold. Unfortunately, on the opposite side of the room my husband and I were hot.

Yes, I know we could have put our son on the king bed and stuffed my husband and me on the sofabed to enjoy the cool air. Not!!! In addition, the bed was hard as a rock. And my husband kept rolling to the middle. It wasn't a pleasant night, I didn't sleep well at all. It must have been an old room the girl put us in. So much for being an honors member. Oh, I did get a package of oreos and a small bottle of water for that.

The next day, at least I was looking forward to a good breakfast. Hampton is very good for breakfast. Again, it was our luck, perhaps, that it was an off morning. The scrambled eggs must have been powdered or something, the texture was weird. The sausage was overdone, dried up, and tasted funny. There was no fresh fruit or yogurt which they usually have. They did have the waffle machines but it was such a mess!! Nobody had bothered to clean up any of the spills from who knows how long. The table we had to wipe off ourselves. The garbage was overflowing (mostly plates of eggs, it looked like) and there were still no lids for the hot drinks!

The only appetizing thing was the oatmeal, and even for that I scraped the very bottom of the pot. But it was the only thing left to try other than plain toast. And just to note, as I was finishing my oatmeal a man finally showed up to change the garbage bag. At that moment, my son accidentally knocked over my coffee that had no lid and the cup and contents went flying. The man did nothing. I had to go and bang on the staff door to ask them to clean it up. At least they came out within a couple of minutes.

The best that can be said was that my husband and son enjoyed the pool, even though it did seem smaller than usual. And my husband did enjoy the fitness room. I wasn't happy. I didn't know that Hampton still had the policy of refunding your stay. I should have asked them. I would like a different night of their usual good service. I think this couldn't have been their regular staff. They must have been fill-ins for the weekend. I would say a weekend would be when regular staff would work. But maybe this was more a business center than a family hotel. I certainly wouldn't book it again.

Room Tip: ask if it's a new room with a new mattress
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gisele2828
HISMAHWAH, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites hotel in Mahwah, NJ. It saddens me to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. As a team we try our best to meet and exceed all of our guests’ expectations. Should you return to the Hampton Inn & Suites in Mahwah, NJ I would recommend a different room type selection of either a standard two queen room or two queen suite. Either of those room types would allow your son to sleep in a bed as opposed to a sofa bed and would keep him away from the air conditioning unit. I am glad to hear that your husband and son enjoyed the swimming pool and fitness center. It is very unfortunate to hear that your expectations were not met by Hampton’s free hot breakfast. If you would like to further discuss any area you feel we could improve upon I would be more than happy to listen and take note. Thank you again for your review of the Hampton Inn & Suites in Mahwah, NJ.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I found this hotel and booked it based upon the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed Friday night (8/24/12) in the Mahwah Hampton Inn – and it was top notch - as reflected in the Trip Advisor reviews. We did not go to the pool – but the rest of the hotel’s accommodations were very nice. We particularly enjoyed sitting in the lounge/breakfast area and watching football on the big screen TV over the fireplace before retiring to our room for the evening. The entire hotel had a nice feel and ambiance to it (especially for a Hampton Inn).

Our 3rd floor room (top floor) was very clean and bright – and the room overlooked the side parking lot – so not too noisy from Route 17 traffic. Even though there was at least one bus tour in the hotel – I did not hear any noise from the other guests. The bathroom was nice as expected – and I really do like the curved shower curtains which provide you with extra room while taking a shower. The free wireless worked fine from our room on my smartphone and the free breakfast buffet (including waffles) was very good.

The hotel staff was very friendly and efficient – and Jarek was very helpful with dinner suggestions (including directions). They had a detailed list of restaurants – including guest favorites. Upon check-out – Michael (assistant manager) was also very helpful with directions back to I-287. I would highly recommend this hotel for those traveling in this area.

1 Thank gateshead4
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here while on a 3 day shopping trip with my wife and sister. We stayed in a double queen room (would have preferred double king but they do not exist at this hotel). The room was very clean and comfortable, with plenty of space for all of us and our possessions. The staff was exceptionally friendly and really made this stay a winner for us. They seem to truly value the comfort and well-being of their guests, and if this review was based solely on them it would receive a 5/5.

Location-wise, it was perfect for us - allowing easy access to the Woodbury premium outlets, a bunch of malls, a Microcenter, Whole Foods, Olive Garden (wife insisted on eating there, although the nearby Macaroni Grill exceeded it in every way), and also a bit of local driving and touring.

One knock against this hotel was the pool. The water seemed like it could have been cleaner, and the showers by the poolside were not working. This combined with the lack of double king rooms merits a 4/5, although if neither of these points bothers you then this hotel represents a great value for shopping tourists.

One last note - free breakfast at their hot/cold buffet was included each morning. We skipped the first morning to check out a local IHOP, but we ate at the hotel the next 2 mornings. The hot food selection changed (nice for extended stays) while the rest stayed more or less the same, which was fresh and plentiful (fruit, yogurt, waffles, juice, coffee, danishes, etc). Definitely ranked for me as a suitable start to a long shopping day.

Overall, would stay here again on our next trip to the area.

2 Thank Jaime W
East Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel itself is just 2/12 years old - nice - new, clean, fresh. The breakfast room is bright and pleasant and food, a good mix of hot and cold offerings.

That said...what I want to talk about is the staff. With special recognition to the Assistant General Manager Michael Ross. While at the hotel we were faced with a personal emergency. Michael was at our door in minutes, lending strength, calmness, and genuine concern. He was amazing...so utterly unusual in this day and age to find such compassion from a stranger. He is an asset to this business - my highest praises.

The front desk staff - efficient and gracious, the manager - sincere and appreciative, the breakfast room staff - personable and on top of things, and housekeeping - quiet and diligent.

Highly recommend this Hampton, they are all good, but this staff exceeds them all. We have stayed in a number of area motels, but from this point on when in the area, Hampton Inn & Suites of Mahwah is the palce we will choose.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kinderhook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stay in north Jersey a few times a month. I just recently tried this property and I was not disappointed. The staff is helpful and friendly. The location great. the morning breakfast is the best at any Hampton I have stayed at. Stay here and you will not be sorry you did.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Manager at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.
Room was spotless clean and spacious. Beds were comfortable and cozy. Pillows were a bit firm to my taste, but I always travel with my own pillow...
Bathroom was very clean. LCD TV, wireless internet, comfortable working desk and chair.
Plenty of parking. Safe.
Breakfast was served downstairs... we decided not to eat it - it was too crowded there- bus load of tourists.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Had 2 rooms at this hotel for a family gathering in a nearby town. We arrived early and rooms were not ready. Michael the Assistant General Manager was so helpful... he took the time to move our rooms around so we could check in right away and we ended up being right next to each other! It was perfect. He also happened to be on the next morning when we checked out. He does a great job!!
The hostess at breakfast was very efficient... unfortunately I do not remember her name. A couple of bus loads of tourists hit the buffet right before we did and let me tell you; they wiped it out! The hostess quickly replenished all the items and we did not have to wait but a minute or two to get everything we wanted.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah? Share your experiences!