“Service was better than most 5-Star hotels”

Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Aside from this hotel being near the customer I was visiting, I chose it because it was recently built. I had read several reviews that had given it high marks (for the reasons that matter to me) and chose to give it a try. In general, this was a great little hotel that had everything I needed to be comfortable. And aside from one noisy family that checked in later in the evening on the day I arrived (and whom Norma kindly addressed), it was very, very quiet (which was appreciated). I was greeted warmly by Thomie, the manager on duty when I arrived, and she efficiently and very politely checked me in. My key didn't work when I got up to the room so I went back down to notify her. She was very apologetic for the inconvenience and quickly re-coded me another key (that worked).

The room was very clean, new, smelled fresh and aesthetically attractive. No-name-brand shampoo, conditioner and lotion was provided in the bathroom, though there was a small sundries area near the front desk for other items that you forgot. They had OTC medicines, hair products, brushes/combs, razors, feminine products, laundry soap to use in their guest laundry room, sewing/shoeshine items and snacks (just not panty hose). :) My only complaint is that the duvet covers looked clean, but one of them had human hair in copious amounts that makes me wonder if the covers were laundered in between guests, if perhaps when they were dried the lint stuck around, or if the hair was from housekeeping. But it was quite a turnoff. The sheets, however were clean, so I just removed the hair.

The gym was open 24 hours (which fits my schedule as I work out early in the mornings) and the gym was very well-equipped. There were 4 treadmills, 2 ellipticals and 2 recumbent bikes. There were free weights and a bench, medicine balls and a yoga ball and mat. There was a water cooler with cold water, cups, and anti-bacterial wipes available. There were headsets for use with the TVs on the cardio equipment (and supposedly disposable ear buds but I didn't see any of those - luckily I had my iPod buds). There were also towels for use in the gym. So it had everything you could need. And it was never crowded. The three mornings I was there, there was only ever 1 person there when I was, and they either left minutes after I arrived, or arrived minutes before I was leaving.

It's a little inconvenient to stay in a hotel without a restaurant, as many times I'll stay in and order room service after being at a customer site all day. So it was a bit of a pain to have to go out to get dinner. But Corporate Drive (which runs right by the hotel) takes you out to MacArthur, and there are some places to eat right off of MacArthur. So it was in a good location. Gas is also available near by at a Citgo or a Valero.

The hot breakfast is always a nice touch, even though it's not a gastronomic event. Hot sausage, ham, hot biscuits, eggs, toast, coffee ... I was completely satisfied with their offerings each day. My favorite was the breakfast tacos on the last day I was there. Their coffee is also really nice.

As comfortable as this hotel was, I really have to say that her best feature was her staff. I mean, honestly, the front desk staff and the breakfast crew were so NICE. Thomie the night manager who checked me in, Norma who chatted with me one night, Kevin the day shift manager, ... they were all so genuinely nice. I even overheard another guest having problems with the printer in the business center, and the desk clerk printed off his documents from the printer in the office, in addition to helping the guest with other business needs (much to the relief of this guest - who was a really nice guy himself). And that's another thing - the other guests that I briefly interacted with were also very pleasant and smiling.

I really had a nice experience at this hotel, which helps with the stress of the job. :) I would definitely stay here again; I really liked it. Quiet, clean, very comfortable, pleasant atmosphere, .... everything a hotel should be.

Room Tip: Be nice at check-in. ;)
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank JBien

Reviewed March 22, 2011

Great service from the front desk and breakfast staff. Very accomodating.

Rooms-usual Hampton Inn rooms, clean and quite comfortable.

It's right on Rt 17 Southbound. Can't be any more convinent.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank chaaau
Reviewed November 14, 2010

This is one of the newer hotels in Mahwah, NJ and it is quite reasonably priced for a business hotel in the northern New Jersey area. The guest room is clean and the breakfast area reflect a modern design. There is a nice, large fitness room as well. This hotel will provide all the essential needs of business travelers.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Leadbelly98
Reviewed November 4, 2010

This hotel is very comfortable and friendly. The breakfast buffet is much better than most. The staff is very attentive and prompt. The sweet bar was convenient but very over-priced. It was a little tricky to get to from the south.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Flip63
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The northwesternmost corner of New Jersey abutting New York state abounds in national corporate headquarters for a number of big multinational firms such as Sharp. This brand-spanking new Hampton Inn and Suites, which just opened in June of this year, does not apparently suffer from the "shakedown cruise" problems that have plagued some other new Hampton Inn properties at which I have stayed in recent years. The place is wholly up to corporate standards and then some. This property seems to be as yet undiscovered by travelers, as it was virtually empty on the Friday night we stayed there.

The location is just off of I-287 on Route 17, a very busy major artery with 24/7 traffic. The Inn was very cleverly positioned sideways on the site, so that none of the rooms faces the road, minimizing the traffic noise and visual clutter. The corporate architects really did a great job with this property, which is very large and considerably more upscale and contemporary in design and decor than the average Hampton Inn

For example, the breakfast area is a handsome and airy atrium with two-story windows. The breakfast service area is closed off by sliding doors during the rest of the day, so the area also serves as a pleasant common sitting area and lobby. The desk staff was friendly, welcoming, and well-trained, greeting us each time we came and went. Apparently they had a lot of free time on their hands.

The guest rooms have the latest decor and equipment, including extremely comfortable beds. The Wi-Fi reception, often a problem in older Hampton Inns, was excellent, and wired Ethernet service was also thoughtfully provided. All in all, this Hampton Inn provides a very comfortable, quiet, and pleasant hotel experience. Judging from the largely negative reviews of other brands' properties in the area, it won't be long before this Inn is heavily-booked by travel-wise guests.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank foodbuffs
Reviewed October 25, 2010

If you need to visit this area for business or family reasons, this motel is a great choice. The lobby and rooms seem new, fresh, and clean and stylishly decorated. The amenities include a small indoor swimming pool, exercise room, computer area, and a small store stocked with grocery items. Our room had a desk with computer hookup, high-def TV, coffee maker, and other conveniences. Despite the location on a busy highway, our room was quiet.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Handel
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stayed 1 night in Hampton Inn Mahwah, and really enjoyed ourself. The room is large and clean. Staffs were friendly. Going to the Woodbury outlet takes abt 20 mins, which is another plus point!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Nuzst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahwah
Homewood Suites by Hilton Mahwah
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
Crowne Plaza, Suffern
#1 of 2 in Suffern

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah? Share your experiences!