“my honest opinion!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Mahwah
Reviewed July 21, 2013

stayed here last weekend and this weekend.
my overall opinion about this property is that it is quite decent.

the great:
bed is comfortable
many pillows
regular blanket
amazing shower

the not so great:
the TV kept freezing
there wasnt any hot water at 11 pm at the coffee/tea station
housekeeping opened the door both mornings while i was in bed and the "do not disturb " sign was in the card slot

breakfast: was kinda ok. the waffle station was gone
the jimmy dean sandwiches were replaced with hard boiled eggs,scrambled eggs,beef patties and bacon
the juice machine had the wrong description on the display
there was yogurt,fresh cut up fruit, whole fruit and assorted cereals

exercise room: very small and little amount of equipment (we didnt use it)

pool and hot tub:
the pool was clean but the water was salty (like the ocean)
temperature was over 100 degrees because of the hot tub. we opened 2 doors so we were able to get some air.

this hotel is close to a little lake...and in walking distance of gas stations/convenience stores

it isnt what you would expect from a MARIOTT hotel but then again its a FAIRFIELD

TO THE MANAGER: PLEASE PUT BATH MATS INTO EACH ROOM...i slipped every time i used the shower.
the shampoo/conditioner size could be upgraded its too tiny for even one use

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank honestyisthebest

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here on a Friday night for what was a good rate for summertime. As I have done with a couple dozen other Marriott properties, I called the hotel around noon to inform them that my fiancé would be arriving before me and to authorize her to check into the reservation under my name. For the first time ever, I was told by an employee named Rich that this was not possible! After a little back and forth with him, I got him to realize she was just checking in and could present a credit card which we could then change once I arrived(I usually have to do this and know the procedure and it's never a problem). However he literally had to change the name on the reservation(and couldn't even spell it right). I'm sure I got screwed out of my room upgrade being Gold elite, the hotel did not look full at all when we stayed, I'm sure there were suites available. Other staff were not very friendly either, and Rich didn't apologize once for the hassle. I was surprised to see he didn't mess up my rewards number and the stay correctly posted to my Marriott Rewards account.

The property itself is nice, it's a newer style/design that looks nothing like the older ones. It's nice that it's right off exit ramps for Route 17 so you don't have to backtrack if you come in from the wrong side of the highway. Our room was clean and quiet, everything you would expect pretty much, we had a good night's sleep at least. That saved this review 2 entire stars.

After the hassles I had with check in here, I would think twice before staying here again, which is too bad. I've stayed at the Courtyard down the road and they didn't have any issues with my normal routine, and neither has any other of the hotels I have reviewed on this site. If a member of management reads this review I ask that you inform Rich how to allow a guest to verbally authorize the other member of their party to check in on their reservation over the phone. As a Gold elite member I expected much better service.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank A K
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have been in this hotel several times.The hotel is very excellent and also the service of the staff is excellent (Rachel) too. She was very polite, courteous, helpful, motivated and around the hour concerned to make my stay as pleasant as possible. The hotel is clean, well maintained and nicely laid out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Georgie G
Nishant_Patel, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mahwah, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us. We really appreciate your very positive comments! Please be assured that I will share your feedback with those individuals mentioned as well as the entire team. It makes us happy to hear that you were well looked after by our staff during your stay in our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm Regards,

Nishant Patel

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is an immaculate and well-apportioned facility with friendly, helpful staff. Modest price includes an exceptionally fine, complementary hot breakfast. Independently operated, nearby restaurant only a one minute walk away is an added bonus. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nevertoolate1

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We especially love to hear such good comments about our NEW FULL HOT BREAKFAST. Glad to hear you enjoyed it all and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived the staff was very friendly hotel was nicely maintain and room was cleanThe front desk gentlemen kester was extreemely nice he made our stay enjoyable. If in the area we woukd definitely stay here again. Its right off route 17 and its quiet and great restaurant across the parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank sunset120

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I have shared your comments with Kester and he was elated to know he was able to make your stay even better. He is a big asset to our hotel and we are proud of all our staff as a whole. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here with my wife and son during Memorial Day weekend while we were in town to visit a relative. Thankfully, we spent most of our time with the relative, but while we were at the hotel, our toilet constantly ran every ten minutes and the heating/ac unit did not work properly. There's a sign on the ac unit stating that it should be controlled by the wall unit, which did not turn on. One of the deciding factors of staying at Fairfield, and not the Courtyard around the corner, was the fact of the free breakfast, which left much to be desired. The eggs seemed clumpy and runny and the coffee was pretty bad. The absolute bright spot of our time there was the Mason Jar restaurant across the parking lot, which had very good food and drinks. Whenever we are back in town to visit our relative, we'll make it a point to visit the Mason Jar, but I'm pretty sure we will be staying at the Courtyard around the corner.

Room Tip: No tip, it's pretty much a crap shoot as to whether you'll get a room where your toilet runs...