“Great bar and food...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Prospect Tavern Beef & Ale
Ranked #23 of 65 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the late 19th century, the Prospect Tavern housed a coal company, part of the bustling railroad industry located just yards away. Today the 1880's Tudor building comfortably seats 50 patrons in the dining room, while the 60-foot bar and outdoor patio make the tavern the preferred place for a casual dinner or to enjoy the perfect pint.The Prospect Tavern offers classic American comfort food like our thinly sliced prime rib sandwich with au jus sauce or our slowly-braised home-style pot roast. Our superior-cut Prime Rib has distinct marbling and is served and seasoned to perfection. Available only on the weekends, this excellent Prime Rib includes a salad, vegetable, and any-style potato.The Prospect Tavern is situated in the central business district of Madison N.J., steps away from the train station, movie theater and great local shopping, making it the perfect place to enjoy a delectable meal before a movie, or to have a relaxing drink on the outdoor patio. Come visit us soon!
Piscataway, New Jersey
“Great bar and food...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stopped at the Prospect last Sunday. Weather was great for sitting out on the deck so we did.. burgers were excellent and the fries were crispy! Bartender was very friendly and drinks were strong.. :) The patio sits out back with a great view of the Stop & Shop/Gary's parking lot which makes people watching a lot of fun.. especially after a couple drinks. We also lucked out with the hot dogs and wings the bartender put out for the football game.. a nice unexpected snack!! We heard they put it out for every game... definitely will be back!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank eforder

New Jersey
“Outdoor patio a plus”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

One of the things which sets Prospect Tavern apart in Madison is the outdoor patio. It overlooks the Stop & Shop parking lot, but can be a relaxing spot to spend a summer happy hour. The bar is a lively place after work. Dinner in the dining room is quieter, although can be noisy when full. The dining room reminds one of a pub, dark wood, fireplace in season. The menu is varied and should please most palates. The full rack of ribs was surprisingly good, served with good cole slaw, it could have used some fries as well. The pizza was good although unusual in that the sausage and peppers were large chunks of what appeared to be link sausage cut up and the peppers were large strips of roasted, marinated red peppers. We ate early (5:30 pm) and had the dining room to ourselves.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Great food with friendly staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Prospect Tavern is a great place for upscale food served at an affordable price. Last week I stopped in for happy hour and all the appetizers were half off. I was informed that happy hour prices were only available at the bar which was ok with me. I ordered steak and shrimp kebabs and the crab cake combo and they were both delicious. I asked if I could eat on the outdoor patio and the bartender kindly informed me that there was no table side service on the patio, but he would be more than happy to set me up and deliver my food. Overall great experience and I will return.

• Visited August 2013
Madison, NJ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Easily the Best Food in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I've eaten at Prospect Tavern before, and almost everything on the menu has been delicious. I had the prime rib a couple of months ago and almost started weeping... it was that good. Best in the area by far. I think they use a secret seasoning, because I really haven't had a steak that good in a very long time. Last week, I had the another steak from the special menu, which was cooked and seasoned to perfection, and came with two delicious pieces of bruschetta. The servers were pleasant, which is all I really cared about. Please don't take my word for it... Prospect Tavern has the best food in the area hands down.

• Visited August 2013
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I came here recently and was pleasantly surprised. While a tavern look is not my favorite and it was quite dark, the food and service made up for it! The menu is extensive and the presentation of my families meals were lovely. The children's portions seemed to be way too large but that is really my only complaint. Our waitress was attentive and nice. We will definitely be back very soon.

• Visited July 2013