“A Regular for me and my daughters”
Review of Takuma

Takuma
Ranked #8 of 68 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We live in Madison and Takuma is our favorite restaurant. The food is always excellent, and carefully prepared, and the owner and staff are extremely hospitable. I want to respond to the reviewer below who mentioned the slow service. We have found that this tends to be an issue only on Friday or Saturday evenings. It is not out of lack of consideration for the customers, but rather they run with a small staff - who have all been there for years - and when it gets busy they can be a little challenged to keep up. If you know to expect the service to be a little slower at these times than during the week, I don't think it will trouble you much. I have never waited 20 minutes to order, that is certain. And because we like the staff and food so much, and like to support this local restaurant, I am simply not too troubled by a little slowness of service at these times. In fact, I am always happy to see the place crowded on the weekends, as I've seen it quite quiet on weeknights. I want them to stay in business!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Note - they do have a sign on the window asking for help...

Service: We went on a Friday night, which is expected to be busy. Party of 2, we were seated with menus and brought our own bottle of wine. A good 20 minutes later, after much larger parties ordered (our menus were shut we were eyeing the staff) we placed our order. One of our appetizers arrived with the entrees.

The food was excellent. I felt the food was worth the wait. My significant other doesn't want to return because he feels service is just as important as the food. We ordered 2 miso soup, 1 vegetable tempura appetizer, 1 avocado roll, 1 beef teriyaki, and 1 chicken teriyaki. Absolutely the best Japanese food between Chatham, Madison, and Florham Park.

I suggest going after they hire another server!

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Takuma has great sushi - I am very fussy about where I eat raw fish and like that the owner is Japanese. (no offense to some great non Japanese owned places but I like to also eat Italian food where the chef is Italian) The whole family is very nice and the staff polite. I usually just have the rolls and some appetizers. However his cooked food looks very good as well. Nice specials too, Price is decent for Morris County.

1  Thank silverrail
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Takuma in Madison NJ is not easy to find, located on a downtown back road , close to the Clairview theater.
But when you find it, you often come back. The food is outstanding, creative and super fresh. The Chef / Owner is a real Japanese, loving his country and the US, and he is always present to welcome his guests and to prepare the food.
Of course you can enjoy the classical Japanese dishes, but let go out from the Sushis and Sashimis - which however are excellent - for discovering plenty of wonderful other traditional but unpretentious Japanese tastes. Some of the makis / rolls are just amazing.

On the Cons side : the large dining room is not very original, the presentation of the menu could be improved and the service sometimes may be basic.

2  Thank HenriNewYork