“Wonderful French Flavor in Madison”
Review of Rob's Bistro - CLOSED

Rob's Bistro
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Waverly Place
Transit: Madison Train Station is only one block away.
Description: A French Bistro located in downtown Madison
New York City, New York
“Wonderful French Flavor in Madison”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great little place right on main st. I prefer it's casual atmosphere to Resto next door down. Never had a bad meal here. We have been here a few times now. Constantly surprising us with the menu in a postive way. Bring a bottle of your favorite wine and I recomend the duck. The service is friendly and helpful.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Robert G

Madison, NJ
“Next-door to Resto and a great alternative ...”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

It's menu is diverse and quite varied. If I can't get into Resto, I choose this at a close second! The two restaurants share the same chef/owner, and he's never put a mediocre plate on the table!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank SaintlySins
Springfield, New Jersey
“Often very good, but on an off night, take away a star.”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Rob's strives to be something that most French restaurants distain - to be a down to earth and accessible bistro where people can dine, converse and relax. When the food, service and ambience crystallize, it leads to a memorable night of delicious food and great company. Unfortunately, within the past year, there has been inconsistency with the quality of the food. For starters, our favorites are the onion soup, mixed greens and arugula, candied walnuts & truffled honey. I'd choose the smoked trout salad over the salad nicoise. For entrees, the duck confit can be superb if it is an "on" night. The duck is crispy and delicious. Other dishes which are safe bets are: steak frites, the mussels and the roast chicken. By far, the most successful dessert is the chocolate mousse.

Visited May 2012
Atlanta
“Good steaks, a bit overpriced”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Food is very good, service is above average and the steaks are good. Prices are a bit on the high side and everything is ala carte. Not as up-scale as Morton's but just as pricey.

Visited June 2012
Northern New Jersey
“Rob's Bistro is a gem of a find”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I decided to head to Madison for dinner recently. There are plenty of options to choose from on Main Street and beyond, but we wanted something different from our usual picks.

We headed to Rob's Bistro for French cuisine. The place is very low key with about a dozen tables and some classic paintings for sale on the walls. The menu is small, but I guess that's what keeps the food consistant. Overall, I would say that Rob's was a very good dining experience.

The escargot appetizer made with tons of garlic and oil are outstanding. I recommend you get two of those instead of sharing! The french onion soup was very hearty and had a rich, dark broth (which I prefer for my onion soups) and came in a large portion. The moules frittes (mussels and fries) in garlic broth were fresh and tasty. My steak frittes entree with au poivre sauce was cooked very nicely, however, it was a bit too salty. The fries were very crisp, thin cut and satisfying.

As for the desserts we had the crepes with a red wine, blueberry sauce and a fresh strawberry napoleon with chantilly cream. Both were very rich and delicious.

I would recommend that you give Rob's a try if you are looking for something different in Madison.

• Visited July 2012