“Too loud 4 1st date - but great food!”
Review of Shanghai Jazz

Shanghai Jazz
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American, Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My date suggested this place because it was kind of between our 2 places. I was curious to go there again since I had been there a couple of years ago. It was a rainy night and my date asked that I pick up our reservation (2 seatings on a Friday night: 6:30 and 8:30) and we had chosen the 6:30. The owner told me I could sit anywhere;
the bar or the table and I could pick out the table. I chose one across the room from where the performance would be (a quartet). I ordered a glass of wine and they were attentive to my needs during the 20 minutes I waited. Finally, date (Paul) showed up.
He ordered HAPPY FAMILY and I order 3 CHILE CHICKEN with broccoli. He ate
the entire order of his, tried mine, and we had the rest of mine bagged for home (which I offered to him). The group was good but VERY loud (but then this IS SHANGHAI JAZZ!) though it would be nice if the music were farther from the tables in my opinion. We had a good conversation but the last table to be filled was right beside us and the tables of 2 are wayyy too close together. This is a pretty atmosphere, lots of parking in the municipal lot behind the restaurant and on leaving,
noted a huge bar business with lots of mostly young people milling around.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed the music and atmosphere. The staff was great and the band was truly talented. On the down side the food is average at best. I would give it another chance but hope the food fits the price.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

With limited seating, make reservations early! The food is fantastic but the tables can be a bit tight. It can be a common necessity to move your entire table to the side to let your partner out of their seat if needed. Other than that it's a fantastic setting with very attentive staff.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Dined here to celebrate a special event. The service was very good but a bit rushed as if they wanted to turn over the table. The place was not busy so not sure why they would want to rush patrons. The appetizers were good but overpriced. We ordered an assortment of entrees and they were just ok, nothing special. The portions were skimpy and did not come with enough rice for the table. Wine prices range from moderate to high. They do not list prices for desserts, dessert drinks, beer, martinis and some premium spirits. Why? Leads me to believe the prices change depending on the night you are there. The entertainment is great and keeps this place in business. Other than that, place feels like it needs to be updated. Wouldn’t come back for the food.

1  Thank EscapeChick
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Whether you like jazz or not this is the place for Asian influenced food. Always outstanding .if you love Jazz call ahead to findout who's performing. Drinks are great too.