“What was expected”

Quality Inn Meadowlands
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Yes the Quality Inn and yes it is dated. Found the staff friendly and helpful. Room was dated as all the Q Inns I have been to but then that is what I expected so no complaints here. Had breakfast in the hotel Restrauant (called Harolds) and opted for the "I pay" vs "what the hotel provided with coupon". Found the food good and priced right!

Only issue was had to jiggle the TV cable to get a picture.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RobGeorgia

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Traveling in North Jersey, you'd expect to pay a lot for a hotel. This one offers a surprisingly nice experience for the competitive price. The room is quiet and clean (even though it's an older design). The fan runs constantly, which helps lull you to sleep. The coffee maker works well. The shower is strong and hot. The front desk acts like they're happy to see you. What more could you want?

If you need fancy & modern, go somewhere else. If you like clean, quiet and very functional, this is your place.

Room Tip: Fronts on to Polito RD which is a little busy, but not too bad.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank PAMan804
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We like to stay at Choice Hotels due to their Choice Privileges. We went to a NY Giants game and this hotel is in a great location for MetLife Stadium. Unfortunately, that is the hotels best asset. Although the staff at the front desk were very polite and accommodating, they were having trouble with their software and check-in took quite a bit of time. No big deal and probably a one-time incident.

Our reservation was for a non-smoking king room. When we got to the room door, there was a no smoking sign by the door. Apparently, a previous guest didn't see that as the room wreaked of cigarette smoke. A call to the front desk resulted in maintenance man bringing an ionizer to the room in about five minutes. We appreciated his promptness, but after letting the noisy machine run for over 30 minutes, it didn't do much to rid the room of the stench.

The bed and pillows were fine, but the bathroom was gross and badly needs some renovation. The caulking around the shower was gobbed on, the anti-slip adhesive strips on the bathtub floor were peeling off and bordered by black, which I assume is dirt or mildew from a lack of routine proper cleaning. Going w/o a shower during our stay was a better option than getting in the shower.

The Continental breakfast was so-so. Downside - white bread only and white bread only bagels were already toasted, sitting cold in a pan next to the toaster. There was small containers of yogurt, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, cold cereal and hot oatmeal available.

Overall, I will look for other options for accommodations if we return for a Giants game next season.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ADKTraveler12
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Although the hotel is very close to the bus line into nyc, it is in need of a good cleaning and updated. I beleive they have updated, looks like they tried to cover things up. Room smelled like mold, same smell in the hallway. I would not recommend! I would not recommend the restaurant attached, Harolds.. very very dirty. When unwrapping my silverware, a roach came out and the server really didn't care.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This Quality Inn was clean and provided the basics. If you need a place to crash for the night, get a reasonably comfortable bed and a room that takes care of your needs, it's okay. You can walk right in and out of the side doors of this hotel, meaning that there wasn't much going on in terms of security, but I felt safe. (Yes, I'm a guy who is tall and not a likely target to get hassled by people, but I can see how people would express concerns about the easy access and somewhat isolated feeling. ) For what it's worth, the people staying there seemed cool and friendly and nothing to complain about except for the occasional idiot who might smoke in a hallway area where he or she shouldn't be doing that. My non-smoking room had no smoking odor at all.)
The hotel location isn't particularly interesting, but it's convenient enough for transportation and reaching major roadways by car. It's about a ten minute drive from The Meadowlands.
I had to stay overnight for business purposes. The hotel design is a little odd with glass corridors running all around to lines of rooms with a small outdoor pool in the middle. The maze of corridors feels a little like one of those hamster play sets that are made up of plastic tunnels. I agree with other reviewers that having a window into a hallway that has another glass wall looking into a parking lot doesn't provide much light or anything to look at. There's also a tiny exercise room. I had to check out early and missed it, but I heard there's a complimentary breakfast offering that is probably modest but okay.
The bed was clean and pretty comfortable. The room furnishings were adequate and there's a tube television with a remote. The WIFI was pretty good. The room includes the usual items such as clean towels, cups, one of those little coffee makers that makes some caffeinated swill to wake you up. You know how it is: Don't expect quality flavor. Just add the sugar and fake creamer for a little jolt to get you going. The plumbing's a little noisy and if some of the other guests are loud, the sound tends to travel a bit. Overall, it wasn't very noisy. If you're going to rely on the room's alarm clock make sure it works (mine didn't because it was barely audible), or just ask the desk for a wake-up call.
The lobby is fairly pleasant and I had to laugh when I saw a rack of tourist brochures and one of them was inviting me to visit Newark! There were also some of the typical NYC attraction brochures for plays, museums, etc. Some of the folks I work with were there too and we hung out on the coaches in the lobby and had some fun eating together in the restaurant when we were all hunkered down there during Hurricane Irene. There's a deli-style restaurant that makes sandwiches and some hot entree items. While the prices seemed more like something you would find in Manhattan, they do make huge sandwiches and the food was pretty good...including the "pickle bar." The people who work in the restaurant were nice too. Try the pastrami sandwich.

Overall... not fancy at all... but it gets the job done, people are courteous and it serves its purposes.

1  Thank TomOH
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I recently dealt with this property,the so called owner mistreated me and accused me of being rude,me a customer,she was totaly and completely out of line,as if I needed to be the nice one,she was to cater to me,she acused me,mistreated me,she was the rude one,incredibly rude and argumentative and it was just horrible and I recommend you reconsider staying here due to its mean,rude,harassing customer service.I mean the lady was totaly out of line,she argued with me and mistreated me,she said she was the owner.I feel as she needs to realle rethink her position and her state of mind,Im sorry to post it but it happen and I feel sad and upset about it,I want to let people know.If you expect to be treated as a guest nicely here forget it.I wonder why some busineses these days forget their place.I feel shocked how this person approached me,addressed me and reacted toward me,Im a professional and a businessman and I know what is wrong,Please just be advised that there is inadequate service in this property.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Hotel desperately needing upgrades on all fronts, but you get what you pay for, even at $139/night.

Located across the street from a Marriott (which I didn't book because no rooms were available) and right off the highway.

The hotel itself and its surrounding parking are very, very poorly lit. I did not feel safe parking the car at night, nor roaming the corridors as this Quality Inn was much more motel than hotel. Anyone could come and go as they please from the outside, no security at all. The rooms themselves though were the most bothersome. This is where this place could benefit from rethinking the way in which they are designed. The room orientation is completely off, especially on the first floor, you really feel like you are in a prison cell. Your only "window" (and I use that term loosely) gives onto the hotel corridors, which then have floor to ceiling windows that give onto the parking lot. Needless to say, you must keep the blinds closed at all times for any sense of privacy and/or security. Even the blinds themselves don't completely cover your 'window' on the sides, so much so that I had to push a floor lamp and a chair on either side to keep them flush. The dead bolt lock on the door itself was poorly screwed into the door with only two screws keeping the lock in place. This did not feel safe to me at all, especially as a solo female traveler.

Walls and ceilings are paper thin, as you can hear every conversation (and other sounds) that emanate from the rooms. Even in my room, which had a shared door, I could hear the conversations next door plain as day. Not to mention, the plumbing and air conditioning is very, very loud. You can hear the water running to the left, right and above you, the pipes shutting on and off all day and night.

Rooms are small-ish, and on first glance appear on the whole clean, but with the lack of real outdoor light and very, very dark carpets (with dark spots in certain areas), you can't help but feel as though this room is clean only the surface. Even came upon a couple cocktail straws that were visible from the bed behind the bedside tables.

There's a lot of 'cover ups' in the room, dings and holes in the walls and darkened wet ceiling tiles in the bathroom painted over (but still very much damp). The plastic frames (which contained atrocious office art - like "Excellence" and a description below with an Eagle flying were some of the better picks and you can't help but think these are covering up holes on the walls themselves) on the wall and the plastic covering the base of the lamp were ripped and peeling.

They boast Free Wireless, but it was spotty at best and extremely, extremely slow, so much so that I was barely able to get any work done. Also, the televisions all old school big box-y types. To be expected, I imagine. The room containing washing machines, ice and vending machines smelled heavily of mildew and contained expired goods.

I've learned my lesson, sometimes, it's not always about getting a good deal. Seedy place.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor nearest the lobby.
1  Thank Catou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#2 of 3 in Carlstadt
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford

Been to Quality Inn Meadowlands? Share your experiences!