“Great location; superficial facelift”

Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've taken my family to Ocean Place 5x over the years. It's the only good beachfront hotel on the New Jersey Shore within 75 miles of Manhattan. I paid the extra 70 dollars for a renovated room on the 10th floor. The main improvements were flat planel tvs and an update to the decor (from the 1970's to the 1990's) A definite plus was the balcony with an ocean view. A negative was that the internet in the room was intermittent.

Room Tip: Make sure the air conditioning works; If you are noise sensitive or don't like Bruce Springsteen...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JLBlez

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is our 3rd time staying at Ocean Place and we love everything about this hotel. Its like being on a tropical island. The grounds are kept beautiful with palm trees. We love the fact that this hotel has a beautiful kept private beach and chairs,umbrellas and towels are all brought down to the beach for you. Food and drinks are also served on the beach. They also have an indoor and outdoor pool that are kept very clean. Love the outdoor Tiki Bar. There is no need for a car here we take the train up and hotel picks us up at the station. Just about a 5 minute walk from the hotel is Pier Village a beautiful place with shops and restaurants with know one coming out of the shops trying to sell you stuff just regular shops. As for our room it had the most breath taking view of the ocean and the most beautiful sunrise. The room was large and very clean. The restaurants in the hotel have great food. We had a great breakfast and the most delicious steak dinner I have ever had. I asked for a medium well cooked steak and it was cooked to order tender and juicy and the taste was amazing. Our waitress Latoya was great. Can't wait to go back to Ocean Place. Also love the addition of the bonfires on the ocean on friday nights.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joyce E
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've been here now 5x (we go each year for our leadership conference) just got back from a 3night stay and the place needs some serious remodeling! They say the rooms are renovated but it's only bc they put in new TVs... it's clean which is good- but everything is just very outdated... the pool was always cloudy... the gym is a very poor excuse for a gym the machines are old and have rust on them (the ones that do work!) and there isn't a good air ventilation.

Every year I feel it gets a little worse.. the service is ok- nothing to brag about... but the location is very good- and the outside area is very pretty.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank querida31
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have to admit that after reading many of the reviews below, I was hesitant to spend the asking price to stay at the Ocean Place resort. My overall impression after staying 3 nights is that most of the complaints are likely from those staying in the non-renovated rooms. If I have paid over $400 a night to stay in a subpar room, the rest of the resort would have mattered less. That said, we paid extra for a "luxury" room and it was great. The room an amenities were sport on. We had a wonderful view from our balcony of the shoreline and I don't think I would have paid any more to directly face the ocean.

The pool was very nice with a great ocean view. There are waiters for drink/food service at the pool and beach which is a nice touch! They could have used a few more waiters at the pool though and when I couldn't find one and walked to the bar myself, they wouldn't give me more than one drink (and I'm well over 21...). There was plenty of servers down at the beach. They also had more than enough lounge chairs and the beach helpers to set you up with an umbrella and chairs were excellent. Some umbrellas by the pool would have been nice, there is not much shade there until 3pm.

I agree with other posts, never moved the car during our stay, being right next to Pier Village is great. We dined at Avenue (excellent, but expensive) and Mcloons. Both were great meals. The hotel's breakfast buffet was far better than I anticipated and the drinks at the bar were all well made.

The spa was good, locker rooms nice, and staff was great. The layout was a little awkward, but perfectly acceptable.

The resort staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. We had a few special requests (travelling with an infant) and they were great. Special kudos to Michele L. for helping make our trip special and helping us out!

Overall, this was an expensive trip for us, far more than I would have expected to spend, but heck, they were sold out, so the demand must be there at this price. If it were more reasonable, we'd be back frequently, but I suspect we will return at some point regardless.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SNS.NYC
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We hail from the other shore (long island) and decided to show some love to NJ recover from the storm. Ocean place (we had a renovated room) is a great location. We parked the car and never used it for 3 days..hotel is walking distance to everything you need.
The hotel room was great for 3 friends ...nice bathroom and comfy beds and great AC in the 100 degree weather.
Nice lobby and easy access to the pool and beach...
The beach has a horrible smell which I am to,d is unusual..(dead shellfish?) it made it almost unbearable but determined to enjoy we persevered...we did move late afternoon to the pool which was fine..water was a little murky but could have been from lots of sun tan lotion.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank motherhen14
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We checked in today and checked out after looking around the hotel. I was a bit worried when I found out that this hotel is not affiliated with Hilton any longer. They either need to make some major upgrades or lower the price A LOT! $400 a night is way too high for this hotel. The surrounding area is awful. Yes, Pier Village is nice but all the rest of the area is closed up businesses with graffiti all over them and basically nothing else. The hotel looked run down, the carpets were stained and dirty in the main areas, the pool was very small and way too crowded. We got an upgraded room on the 12th floor which was very small and nothing special. The elevators were very old, dirty and outdated and very very small. There was NO air conditioning in the hallways and considering it was almost 100 degrees today in NJ that is insane. Yes, they do provide beach chairs but they had them all clustered together with the umbrella in already so you had to try to find a seat. I was expecting them to place a chair and umbrella where we wanted but the guy said oh they are all set up. Yes well after we walked all around they were all already taken and I really don't want to sit WITH other people anyway. The ice place was closed. The outdoor shower was not working. Definitely not my type of resort. We checked out and left.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NJChristine
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have been coming to ocean place hotel for the last 10 years.
I love how they keep improving the hotel ! The new rooms on 10,11,12 are beautifully renovated.and I still love the older rooms. I also love the new paint job on the hotel. The front desk person ms Lorraine was exceptional in personality and helpfulness ! She went out of her way to make sure our stay was great. The midweek special is also great 4 nights for price of three !

• Stayed: July 2013
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#3 of 6 in Asbury Park
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
Cedars & Beeches
Cedars & Beeches
#3 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Ocean Place Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!