“THIS PLACE IS A DUMP”

Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Seriously - the website really sells you a bill of goods. If anybody tells you different, they are either blind or they really don't like you. The room we had hasn't seen an update in probably 30 years. The dresser draw didn't close & the lamp on the desk looked like they got it out of a dumpster. The toliet paper holder fell off the wall in the middle of the night & the plastic piece
that pulls the curtains back broke. The phone is so old that the buttons stick when you dial. We asked for a wake up call for 2 mornings - we never got one. Breakfast on the first morning was horrible - Eggs & potatoes were ice cold. And if this place was $99 a night, you might expect this. But not at $300 a night....at those prices, this should be much better. The hot tub was disgusting - luke warm & not even any jet propelled water going on. The carpeting is bad in the rooms & in the lobby. To say we were disappointed is an understatement. We were looking forward to this trip for almost 2 months & I just wish someone had warned me in advance. This is the God's honest truth about this place - do not waste your money. Go down 2 towns to Asbury & stay at the Berkeley - less expensive & it's been renovated & is really a nicer place, all around...

Room Tip: There are no good rooms....
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Susan D
OceanPlace, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. It's our ongoing commitment to provide a positive and memorable experience. Please contact the hotel directly so we may address your specific concerns and allow us an opportunity to regain your trust. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to speaking with you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,598)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I would like to share my experience at the hotel one word awesome!awesome accommodations!! a wonderful staff great manager Michelle! I have experienced managers to be to busy Michele made sure we were happy and had everything we needed!If you are ever in LONG BRANCH N.J.CHECK IT OUT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Thank Kimberly Fortun... L
OceanPlace, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear of your experience. Your accolades will certainly be passed on to our staff. Be sure to join our email list via our website and 'like' us on Facebook to stay current on resort news, as well as receive exclusive offers and promotions. Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We recently attended a conference and decided to stay the night since it was discounted. From the website we were expecting at the very least a well kept room. As we got to the door, the paint on the door was chipped, open the door and it was filled with smoke and the bed skirt was ripped. Once we changed rooms, I had the pleasure of discovering how paper thin the walls are at 2am thanks to our very...happy neighbors. This hotel completly relies on the fact that they're on the beach. They are in a desperate need for a renovation to have those rooms match what they market on their website. In a word...DISAPPOINTED!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your feedback. It's our ongoing commitment to provide an exceptionally clean facility and apologize if your found our facility to be anything less. Please contact the hotel directly so we may address your specific concerns and allow us an opportunity to regain your trust. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Actually, I would rate it more like 2.5. We stayed in this hotel for more than 3 months, so perhaps no place could stand up to that kind of scrutiny. However, for a highly rated hotel it was so-so from the very beginning. The rooms were pretty standard, not more than what you would expect from any contemporary hotel and even most motels.

The lobby is really, really beautiful and wonderfully appointed as is the entire ground floor. I imagine it would be a nice place to have a wedding. The restaurants are lovely. We used the indoor pool/whirlpool area on the second floor just once. Not sure why, but it did not make me want to use the spa services which are located in the same area.

The hotel was fully booked although it was the off season... to accommodate people who had lost their homes in the storm. We had the impression that staff were hired very quickly and did not have proper training or any kind of experience in the place? (...except for the bartenders and wait staff.) After being there a while it seemed there was perhaps either incompetent management or ownership. A fire alarm at 2 in the morning was never explained, and although a recording told us to wait for further instructions, there never were any...just the alarm for about an hour. Pretty scary to be awakened to a fire alarm and not know what to do. And never any apology or explanation. The front staff had to deal with hotel keys needing to be re-keyed frequently and were gracious about it. We just felt sorry for them. The conditions we stayed in are the ones they have to work in.

The hotel was undergoing renovation, which began around 8 each morning and involved drills. This resulted in our being moved to different rooms 4 times during our stay so we got to experience both sides and different floors. The last room shared a wall with the elevator shaft...not recommended. Like sleeping in a subway station. In one, the toilet broke and in another the bathtub drain needed to be unclogged. Not a big deal to us...we figured they were going to be replaced soon. But, both times it took two days and repeated requests to have a maintenance person come to our room to fix it. The elevators broke down frequently and while we were there only two of the three were ever working at the same time. These things may all be resolved at this point. I passed by the other day and the exterior painting is nearly complete.

Rooms are cleaned every other day, however the cleaning staff were very gracious and gave you whatever we needed if it was an off day for your room. This hotel is rare in that they do not charge for bottled water or internet access. However, rooms lack a refrigerator or microwave. We got the impression that there were better rooms than the ones we had, that may have had these things? All rooms have a safe and hair dryer, coffee maker, nice tv with cable. High speed internet is also included, although it only worked well on the west side of the building.

The hotel is right on the beach and next to Pier Village where there are lots of upscale shops and restaurants. There is a very nice boardwalk that is well used and undamaged from the storm. The vista from every room is really wonderful and each room has a balcony. We just found it ironic that we had such a premium view of the same ocean that had made us refugees.

Room Tip: Not along elevator bank...west side has better internet access. Views are great from either side.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sasha N

Thank you for your feedback. As you are aware we are undergoing a significant renovation throughout the entire property, which will address a number of your concerns. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the fire alarm. Your comments have been passed on to management for review and correction.

We're pleased to know that you found our housekeeping staff to be so accommodating. As you mentioned, Pier Village is right next door to the resort and offers a wide variety of shopping and dining choices. The views from our guest rooms are truly stunning and we are sure you witnessed a sunrise or two during your stay as well!

Thank you again for your feedback. We wish you the best in your recovery and hope to welcome you back, whether as a guest or a patron of our Spa or Tiki Bar.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I am overly impressed with the beauty, professional service and amenities provided at this hotel. The staff, notably Alexis*, Jessica C., newly instated manager, Michelle; Gena, Adam and Ryan, have exceeded expectations to ensure my extended stay, resultant from Hurricane Sandy, is comfortable. It's become a micro "home away from home". As a business owner and travel agent, I highly recommend this venue for any length of stay and event!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had no idea this place was so nice! I had to stay here because I lost my home in the hurricane...but I have to say admist all the stress of that, I had a lovely stay! The staff was friendly, view was great! I actually had a view of my house from my balcony! I have hung out here during the summer at the tiki bar, which is always a good time...but the inside is just as nice! The lobby is beautiful..you can hang out there and people watch if you wanted to hang out somewhere other than your room. Free WIFI, good beds, housekeeping was perfect! Never missed a day! and the view was just...its so beautiful here! Pier village is a stone throw away! You exit on the boardwalk and the beach is a 30 second walk! Would have no problem recommending this hotel to friends and relatives...I live a mile away but now even in my new house...I might even stay for a night in the summer! haha

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank indonesianprincess13
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Place for a business meeting for 1 night in January. It has a great location, right on the beach. The service was great, the rooms were clean, and the lobby was beautiful. The staff was very helpful and friendly. When I checked in, they warned me that they are working on some parts of the hotel, and the work begins at 8am. Sure enough, the banging started at 8. It was hard to concentrate on preparing my presentation with all of the noise above my head. I think that the room was way overpriced for the off season, and having to deal with the construction.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DS1204
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
#2 of 3 in West Long Branch
Cedars & Beeches
Cedars & Beeches
#3 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Ocean Place Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!