“Familiarity breeds contempt”

Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Actually, I would rate it more like 2.5. We stayed in this hotel for more than 3 months, so perhaps no place could stand up to that kind of scrutiny. However, for a highly rated hotel it was so-so from the very beginning. The rooms were pretty standard, not more than what you would expect from any contemporary hotel and even most motels.

The lobby is really, really beautiful and wonderfully appointed as is the entire ground floor. I imagine it would be a nice place to have a wedding. The restaurants are lovely. We used the indoor pool/whirlpool area on the second floor just once. Not sure why, but it did not make me want to use the spa services which are located in the same area.

The hotel was fully booked although it was the off season... to accommodate people who had lost their homes in the storm. We had the impression that staff were hired very quickly and did not have proper training or any kind of experience in the place? (...except for the bartenders and wait staff.) After being there a while it seemed there was perhaps either incompetent management or ownership. A fire alarm at 2 in the morning was never explained, and although a recording told us to wait for further instructions, there never were any...just the alarm for about an hour. Pretty scary to be awakened to a fire alarm and not know what to do. And never any apology or explanation. The front staff had to deal with hotel keys needing to be re-keyed frequently and were gracious about it. We just felt sorry for them. The conditions we stayed in are the ones they have to work in.

The hotel was undergoing renovation, which began around 8 each morning and involved drills. This resulted in our being moved to different rooms 4 times during our stay so we got to experience both sides and different floors. The last room shared a wall with the elevator shaft...not recommended. Like sleeping in a subway station. In one, the toilet broke and in another the bathtub drain needed to be unclogged. Not a big deal to us...we figured they were going to be replaced soon. But, both times it took two days and repeated requests to have a maintenance person come to our room to fix it. The elevators broke down frequently and while we were there only two of the three were ever working at the same time. These things may all be resolved at this point. I passed by the other day and the exterior painting is nearly complete.

Rooms are cleaned every other day, however the cleaning staff were very gracious and gave you whatever we needed if it was an off day for your room. This hotel is rare in that they do not charge for bottled water or internet access. However, rooms lack a refrigerator or microwave. We got the impression that there were better rooms than the ones we had, that may have had these things? All rooms have a safe and hair dryer, coffee maker, nice tv with cable. High speed internet is also included, although it only worked well on the west side of the building.

The hotel is right on the beach and next to Pier Village where there are lots of upscale shops and restaurants. There is a very nice boardwalk that is well used and undamaged from the storm. The vista from every room is really wonderful and each room has a balcony. We just found it ironic that we had such a premium view of the same ocean that had made us refugees.

Room Tip: Not along elevator bank...west side has better internet access. Views are great from either side.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sasha N
OceanPlace, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. As you are aware we are undergoing a significant renovation throughout the entire property, which will address a number of your concerns. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the fire alarm. Your comments have been passed on to management for review and correction.

We're pleased to know that you found our housekeeping staff to be so accommodating. As you mentioned, Pier Village is right next door to the resort and offers a wide variety of shopping and dining choices. The views from our guest rooms are truly stunning and we are sure you witnessed a sunrise or two during your stay as well!

Thank you again for your feedback. We wish you the best in your recovery and hope to welcome you back, whether as a guest or a patron of our Spa or Tiki Bar.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I am overly impressed with the beauty, professional service and amenities provided at this hotel. The staff, notably Alexis*, Jessica C., newly instated manager, Michelle; Gena, Adam and Ryan, have exceeded expectations to ensure my extended stay, resultant from Hurricane Sandy, is comfortable. It's become a micro "home away from home". As a business owner and travel agent, I highly recommend this venue for any length of stay and event!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had no idea this place was so nice! I had to stay here because I lost my home in the hurricane...but I have to say admist all the stress of that, I had a lovely stay! The staff was friendly, view was great! I actually had a view of my house from my balcony! I have hung out here during the summer at the tiki bar, which is always a good time...but the inside is just as nice! The lobby is beautiful..you can hang out there and people watch if you wanted to hang out somewhere other than your room. Free WIFI, good beds, housekeeping was perfect! Never missed a day! and the view was just...its so beautiful here! Pier village is a stone throw away! You exit on the boardwalk and the beach is a 30 second walk! Would have no problem recommending this hotel to friends and relatives...I live a mile away but now even in my new house...I might even stay for a night in the summer! haha

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank indonesianprincess13
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Place for a business meeting for 1 night in January. It has a great location, right on the beach. The service was great, the rooms were clean, and the lobby was beautiful. The staff was very helpful and friendly. When I checked in, they warned me that they are working on some parts of the hotel, and the work begins at 8am. Sure enough, the banging started at 8. It was hard to concentrate on preparing my presentation with all of the noise above my head. I think that the room was way overpriced for the off season, and having to deal with the construction.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DS1204
Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you are planning to stay in this area, Ocean Place is THE place to stay. The incredible view takes second place only to the service.... and the view is fantastic!! You see the ocean everywhere!
The management at this hotel is top notch, very attentive to your needs. I stayed here in January, and I cannot wait to return in warmer weather. From the gym that overlooks the ocean, the beautiful lobby, and the fantastic Happy Hour prices, you cannot beat the value. I am sure that the warmer weather with the tiki bar open and palm trees on the beach will make the stay here even more enjoyable!! I heard that the hotel is under new ownership and whatever they are doing, keep doing it, they certainly have chosen an incredible,positive management team striving to make this hotel the best it can be...which they are certainly accomplishing with their actions.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is always my preference!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank travelnut414
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Beautiful location,on the Jersey Shore. Hotel lobby impressive .Staff from the front desk,Director of rooms to maids were friendly and helpful,always pleasant and concerned if accommodations and stay were ok and asking if there was anything that we needed. Rooms were extreamly clean and I was suprised to learn that they are going to be totally renovated . I have worked in a large hotel so I am very critical and look at things different than the average guest. Hotel room was on the 5 th floor and had a fabulous view ,I do not think any room has a bad view. Location is great board walk outside the hotel is fabulous for a walk or run every day and the shops steps away make the experience even better. My stay was in December yet the boardwalk was active and walks on the beach could not have been better. Hotel food great and Sunday brunch should not be missed. Bar/Lounge were impressive with and added feature of a pool table .Loved the couches and cushioned chairs. Hotel is pet friendly yet you don't really hear any dogs barking all seemed friendly with there pets. Spa was great and clean and indoor pool was nice. Covered garage made the entrence on one of the rainy day easy. Ended up using the entrence every day. Elevators were fast and you never had any wait for them despite the hotel being full.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget hotel rooms on the east side had best view (direct) but all rooms have grea...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference event for several days, after the Sandy storm that has hit the beautiful Jersey Shore very hard. The hotel appears to have not suffered any damage, though outside painting was under way at the time of my stay. The room all have lovely views of the beach and ocean. My room was at the end of the building with also a view looking out to the west. It was quite spacious. The room has beach-style furnishings - it is all that pale beachy pastels, looks very tired and dated, and the rooms need considerable refreshment to take on a new inviting and contemporary feel. They key problem that I experienced was that in the room opposite, and also in the adjoining room, there were dogs that barked for hours on end, and into the evening. The incessant yapping from the smaller dog particularly went on for hours, even after the hotel reception was called to deal with this. This went on for two days, and made rest in the room quite unpleasant. Walls are thin. The hotel provides free internet which worked effectively. The conference facilities are also with free internet, although the rooms provide so few power outlets for working on a lap top as part of conference. There is a modern village within a few minutes walk of the hotel providing a range of lovely cafes and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask if there are dogs checked in in nearby rooms
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WorldTraveller08901
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
#2 of 3 in West Long Branch
Cedars & Beeches
Cedars & Beeches
#3 of 4 in Long Branch

Been to Ocean Place Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!