Actually, I would rate it more like 2.5. We stayed in this hotel for more than 3 months, so perhaps no place could stand up to that kind of scrutiny. However, for a highly rated hotel it was so-so from the very beginning. The rooms were pretty standard, not more than what you would expect from any contemporary hotel and even most motels.
The lobby is really, really beautiful and wonderfully appointed as is the entire ground floor. I imagine it would be a nice place to have a wedding. The restaurants are lovely. We used the indoor pool/whirlpool area on the second floor just once. Not sure why, but it did not make me want to use the spa services which are located in the same area.
The hotel was fully booked although it was the off season... to accommodate people who had lost their homes in the storm. We had the impression that staff were hired very quickly and did not have proper training or any kind of experience in the place? (...except for the bartenders and wait staff.) After being there a while it seemed there was perhaps either incompetent management or ownership. A fire alarm at 2 in the morning was never explained, and although a recording told us to wait for further instructions, there never were any...just the alarm for about an hour. Pretty scary to be awakened to a fire alarm and not know what to do. And never any apology or explanation. The front staff had to deal with hotel keys needing to be re-keyed frequently and were gracious about it. We just felt sorry for them. The conditions we stayed in are the ones they have to work in.
The hotel was undergoing renovation, which began around 8 each morning and involved drills. This resulted in our being moved to different rooms 4 times during our stay so we got to experience both sides and different floors. The last room shared a wall with the elevator shaft...not recommended. Like sleeping in a subway station. In one, the toilet broke and in another the bathtub drain needed to be unclogged. Not a big deal to us...we figured they were going to be replaced soon. But, both times it took two days and repeated requests to have a maintenance person come to our room to fix it. The elevators broke down frequently and while we were there only two of the three were ever working at the same time. These things may all be resolved at this point. I passed by the other day and the exterior painting is nearly complete.
Rooms are cleaned every other day, however the cleaning staff were very gracious and gave you whatever we needed if it was an off day for your room. This hotel is rare in that they do not charge for bottled water or internet access. However, rooms lack a refrigerator or microwave. We got the impression that there were better rooms than the ones we had, that may have had these things? All rooms have a safe and hair dryer, coffee maker, nice tv with cable. High speed internet is also included, although it only worked well on the west side of the building.
The hotel is right on the beach and next to Pier Village where there are lots of upscale shops and restaurants. There is a very nice boardwalk that is well used and undamaged from the storm. The vista from every room is really wonderful and each room has a balcony. We just found it ironic that we had such a premium view of the same ocean that had made us refugees.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape from everyday life, and retreat to Ocean Place Resort & Spa in Long Branch, New Jersey- an elegant oasis of white sand beaches, gentle breezes, and enchanting waterfront vistas.Located on a pristine stretch of shoreline, Ocean Place is the premier New Jersey Shore hotel. Select from 256 guest rooms, including five luxury suites, each delightfully and finely appointed.Indulge in limitless recreation at our Jersey beach hotel- including two swimming pools, a private beach, oceanfront promenade, and access to nearby championship golf.Ocean Place offers a tranquil escape in a breathtaking location along the Jersey Shore. Discover the ultimate family vacation and weekend beach retreat - peaceful and refreshing, with a world-class European spa and tantalizing dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelClick, Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Ocean Place Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Place Resort And Spa
- Ocean Place Hotel Long Branch
- Ocean Place Long Branch
- Ocean Long Branch
- Ocean Place Resort Spa