“Jersey shore/longbranch/ August 2011”

Ocean Place Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Tucson, Arizona
“Jersey shore/longbranch/ August 2011”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This hotel is in a good location, right on a sandy beach, near a small shopping complex. It is a full service hotel, with restaurant, pool, pool side bar, beach side bar, buffet breakfast. The rooms are fairly nice, comfortable bed and bedding, sl shabby, nice beach view from upper floor, side of hotel, facing north. We visited in last summer, ideal weather, very crowded. Many of the facilities, restaurant, pool were more crowded than I like. The beach was perfect. Nice chair lounges, umbrellas, beach attendants to help. Water temp in August is perfect.
On arrival, our room was not ready so we checked our bags. They have a system that you have to be checked in and have an armband to use towels and the locker room, and the beach, but no one told us. So, despite being guests of the hotel, they wouldn't let us walk on the beach, until we went back to the desk, then back to the locker room to then go back to the beach. Apparently, all the NJ people are used to having this type of system, but I found it annoying. Then we couldn't buy a drink at the beach shack, because we didn't have ID on us, I didn't know you had to take your driver's license to the beach. Since our party was all in our 50's and 60's, I was surprised to have a 21 ( possibly) y o bartender, from Croatia, telling me I had to get my driver's license, this is NJ law. Well, I've been going to NJ beaches more than 30 years,and this was a first.
In spite of some annoyances, we had a great time at the shore, ate at nearby restaurants and bars ( where no one asked for ID), has some nice walks and runs on the beach and enjoyed it. I give the location a 4-5 for the beach, the hotel accommodations 3-4, and I hope they get some new management.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing north had nice views of nearby beach properties.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tucsonfireworks
, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the facility and surrounding areas. August is an ideal time to come to the Jersey Shore! Pier Village is a great shopping and dining area. They have recently added some new stores and restaurants for summer 2012!

Thank you for your feedback regarding our beach process. Our beach access is exclusively for our guests, so we do need a way to identify our guests and apologize for the inconvenience.

We do agree that checking ID for everyone can be a nuisance, however we are required to do so by law.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 6, 2012

If this 'resort' (ahem) was $150, I would say it was a good deal. But for the $269 - $300 they charge per room ... you will leave feeling ripped off. The management seems to love responding to reviews talking about 'you'll be happy to know we are in the midst of a $15 renovation ...' Well, that does nothing for your guests who are paying top dollar to stay here RIGHT NOW and using the 1990s style rooms. Don't tell me how great it will be in a year or two when I am paying good money to stay there now.

The real 'star' of this place is Long Branch, NJ. This is one of the only hotel/resorts IN Long Branch within walking distance of the main prominade, which is about a mile of stone boardwalk. Long Branch is an interesting place ... it has wonderfully upscale restaurants. Nice boutiques and little ice cream and frozen yogurt shops. However, it seems that it is all geared towards residents rather than tourists because other than The Ocean Place and a boutique hotel nearby ... everything is condomniniums. Perhaps they don't want to become a Seaside Heights with droves of tourists. For whatever reason, if you want to walk to this beautiful prominade area (which is actually a few streets over from a downright slum) you will have to pay top dollar to stay here. The beaches are BEAUTIFUL ... they actually plant palm trees along the beach and it feels like you are actually in Florida. The restaurants are amazing with outdoor decks on the ocean such as Avenue, where you feel as though you could be overlooking the ocean in France. I joke that Long Branch feels more like the poor man's Cannes than the rich man's Jersey.

The resort ... hmm ... resort is a bit of a misnomer. Sure, they have the resort CHARGE of $12 per day, which is supposedly for 'wireless internet, phone calls, hot tub use, beach towels' ... all the stuff that a good hotel would include even though you seldom use. I find this hotel to be laughable considering at best this is a business conference hotel. At worst, it is a dated Holiday Inn type of 80s/90s beachside hotel. Just because it has a few lounge chairs outside with umbrellas and a Home Depot-style Tiki Bar outside does not make this a resort.

Speaking of this $12 fee ... when I was in Long Branch it was slightly chilly and it rained 1 of the 3 nights I was there. The other days were overcast. On the first night, it rained so they took all the cushions in from the furniture outside and boarded up the tiki bar. That is exactly how it stayed the next 2 overcast days of my stay. All of the wicker furniture outside didn't have a cushion or pillow ... so it was basically unusable for 3 days. The tiki bar remained closed for 3 days. On the 3rd day, the place where you go to pick up towels to sit on the beach opened ... but what about the second day when it was overcast? Many people walked on the beach still, but could not get towels because it rained for 30 minutes at the start of the day, so they closed up shop. If I am going to pay $12 per day on top of the actual room cost ... open that tiki bar, have cushions on the outside furniture and hand me a towel even if it is slightly chilly and overcast! (no rain)

The room was a shambles. The balcony had paint chipping off the wall, cracks in the top part. The towels had tons of pulls and snags and faint stains and looked like they had been used for the better part of the last decade they were so old and worn. The old school bedspread had 2 large stains which looked like blood or wine on it. The solution to this? They flipped the comforter over so the brightly striped design side with the stains was down and the ugly forest green side that was intended to be down was on top, which didn't match anything in the room. Everyone else's room I visited but mine had the comforter put out the other way, but because the maid was too lazy to wash the dirty comforter, mine was flipped.

The carpet was stained and looked like the floor of a movie theater. There were so many types of stains of every variety ... it got in the habbit of wearing flip flops in the room so I didn't catch anything. The furniture was cheesy 1990s whitewashed 'resort' type of furniture. There was no microwave or fridge and the television was probably 15 years old. The room looked shabby ... wallpaper on the walls bubbled out near the ceiling. There were stains and marks from years worth of suitcases banging against the walls and the door. The remote control for the ancient television did not turn it on or off ... only put the channels up or down.

The bathroom is small, cheap looking and dingy. The washer around the pipe of the shower came off and exposed a hole in the wall behind it and wasn't fixed. The maid forgot to leave me new towels/bathmat every day and she never left replacement soap or shampoo so I had to ration off what I was given. The maid service doesn't come and clean the rooms until around 2 p.m. yet they will not give you a late check out and check out is early, at 11 a.m. The balconies have 2 chairs ... and most rooms overlook the parking lot with a bit of ocean. These are called 'coastline rooms'. For the best views, ask for the rooms on higher floors closer to the beach than the parking lot.

I was staying with a conference ... so I only got hit for about $200 including fees and taxes per night. However, I listened to a guy next to me during check in make the reservation at the desk and they charged him $269 for a Tuesday and Wednesday night stay, which would be about $300 per night with the taxes and fees. Weekends, expect to pay $300 - $400 per night, which is more than the Ritz Carlton an hour away charges.

Overall, you can only make excuses about upcoming reservations so often. I have stayed here last year and the year before for the same conference and nothing has changed in the hotel since then, even though every year they talk about renovations on tripadvisor. What excuse can you make for service that cannot be rennovated? The front desk staff looks about 17 years old and cannot make any decisions without checking with someone first. The people who hand out towels or take drink orders outside are nowhere to be found unless the place is really crowded. The lobby and restaurants seem like 'The Shining' because they are desserted and empty. And the bar is incredibly overpriced and last call is at 10:30.

On a bright, sunny summer day ... this is the place you want to be in Long Branch. The beaches are beautiful and you can walk to nice restaurants. They have outdoor BBQ for lunch of hot dogs ($10!!!) and hamburgers ($12) on a real grill. They have bands at the tiki bar on the weekends. For the older crowd, this would be a nice place to hang out. Sure, the pools and hot tubs look like something out of a 1980s spring break movie ... but still. However, any other time, this is way too overpriced and you just don't get what you pay for. Especially in terms of the resort fee. I got charged $12 per day and didn't even use the wireless or phone ... and basically none of the 'service people' (aka underpaid college kids) were anywhere to be found to replace outdoor cushions or man the tiki bar.

If you do find yourself here ... do yourself a favor and take a short walk to dine or drink as the hotel food is not the best. (so they have a guy who was a competitor on Chopped as a menu consultant ... what does that really mean?) Avenue is the best bet for a nice dinner. Inside is amazing or you can sit outside. It is a French inspired menu but the food is great and the atmosphere is even better. Next door is an Italian restaurant that is also very good. Its not authentic Italian but as close as you will find in the area. They have a nice frozen yogurt place across the way. There are also little restaurants such as Its Greek to Me and Anthony's Pizza as well as a little cafe, which are great. For drinks, The Wine Loft is open until 2 a.m. and is almost right next to the hotel. For good atmosphere and so-so seafood, try Dockers which is a short walk down the prominade from the hotel.

Overall, for the price I would expect much better. This place has potential but right now is a rip off unless you are going with a group or conference. Of which they have a lot coming in and out.

Room Tip: Ask for the closest/highest room you can get to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LovinHotelLife
, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for your very detailed review. As you know, we do have renovations scheduled for this fall and winter. We have already replaced the TV's with 42" flat screens and have new king beds. We have also started to make improvements in ancillary areas of the hotel, which will not disturb our guests. Although we would love to have the entire renovation take place immediately, we have decided not to disrupt our repeat and new guests that stay with us during our peak season.

With regards to our pricing, it is demand driven as we are located directly on the Atlantic ocean with easy access from the Tri State Area.

Pier Village, the area you describe right next to the hotel, has much to offer year round! There are a number of restaurants and shops that we highly recommend to our guests.

It is standard to pay a resort or facility fee at any resort property. Ours covers parking (usually $10-$20 per car per day), beach access ($7-$12 on beaches right next door), in room wireless internet, use of the pool and fitness center, among other amenities. We understand that not all guests use each amenity during their stay therefor do not charge for all amenities, rather the $12 facility fee.

Again, we do thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you back once renovations are complete so we may have an opportunity to regain your business.
Long Branch, New Jersey
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Right on the boardwalk. Love the beach attendants. So close to Strollo's Italian Ice. Walk to Pier Village restaurants. Try the bolognaise at Sirena. Happy Hour at AVE. The Wine Loft has half price bottles on Tuesdays. Don't eat at Sawa. Sushi not good. Rooney's Oceanfront is the other direction on the boardwalk. Best views. Great food. Love being ocean front.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter. The hotel is right on the boardwalk.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sutahonthebeach
, Manager at Ocean Place Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you truly enjoy the area and all it has to offer. Please be sure to like us on Facebook and join our email lists to stay current on upcoming events and promotions. We look forward to having you back for years to come!
NJ
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Here for a Business conference. My feet stuck to the floor in the room. Washed my face at night, and murky brown water washed back up to fill the basin. Took 30 minutes to have the dirty water go back down the drain. Vulgar. Lock on safe broken. Room service ended at 10pm. I'm supposed to stay tomorrow to go to spa and stay another night. Think I will sidestep that headache.
The beach here looks beautiful; if you can stay somewhere else, I would.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Heidi B
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I would like to start by saying, If you are looking for a Resort. This is not the place to go. Just because this place has Ocean Views and a Tiki bar, Does not make it a resort.

This hotel has a Dirty Indoor pool that when you tell the employees of the Hotel 2 days in a row. They do nothing about it. Old Stainless steel Hot tubs. That are also dirty. The outdoor pool was ok. But the pools are small.

The food is Horrible. Thank god The resteraunts in the area are fantastic.

Entertainment. Umm, ok. None. When we got there , there was a live cover band playing outside by the Tiki Bar. Was cheap fealing. Horrible.

The Tiki Bar. You ever see those food huts at a little league baseball field? Just throw some grass on the roof. There ya go.

Again, this is not a resort.

And then , due to lack of entertainment. We decided to get a movie in our room. On an old 27 inch Faded color Zeineth Tubed TV. Yea, Cost us 18 dollars to watch a movie we could hardly see or hear.

Not to mention the saftey of the place. There was someone who charged things from the "Gift Shop" To my room.

And the do not disturb Signs. They dont matter. I heard the guy knocking. But i was in the middle of somthing. And he walked right in. I asked him what he was doing. He said he wanted to know what time i was checking out. I was already at the front desk prior to this. I asked him if he saw the sign on the door. He again responded with, i was just wondering what time you were checking out.

The "SPA"

Haha. Over priced. Seriously. Basic if not low leval massages. Mandatory 20% Gratuity. Plus Tax. Again, Nothing to offer here other than what a basic spa Offers. The Sauna did not work. On Either side. Hot Tubs were cheap. The people at the front desk were rude.

Now, Do i think the place will ever get a Makeover??
Yea, But at the price of the customers.

While we were there. We wanted to eat outside. Was such a Beautiful day. But we could not. Because there was a Jack Hammer going all day.

I was charged Resort Prices at Simple Hotel Quality.

Rooms are Small, Service is just there.No Entertainment. Low Quality Spa.

Room Tip: If you decide you want to go here. Just remember is realy not a resort.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MikeG75
Washington, NJ
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Okay stayed here two nights, rooms are okay, clean enough, but no great shakes. We were there for a wedding, the nice things, the bonfire on the beach for rehearsal dinner, the tiki bar seems fine and music playing is great. Close to the beach which is nice, over the board walk and out. The breakfast buffet is okay, I would go someplace else instead.
Now as for the wedding, the cocktail hour food was wonderful, the sit down dinner, the raviolis were undercooked, to what I would call raw, when someone else at are table told the servers they rolled their eyes and did nothing. Later a drink was dropped on the dance floor again we told the servers and they rolled their eyes and did nothing. Finally what seemed to be the guy in charge of the wedding cleaned it up, he was doing a great job with everything, IMO. As a past server, I was appalled with the waitstaff and having them roll their eyes twice. if a drink is spilled you clean it up, so no one gets hurt! I would probably never stay here again, it's over priced and just okay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank meganash01
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed 5/18-20/2012...3 nights with sunfilled days. Boardwalk clean, beach had palm trees planted and Tiki Bar happening! Even rock stars were there! Cool! Live bands on Sat. and Sun. afternoon. Great hanging out on a sofa in the sun sipping...good - relaxing time...Breakfast buffet Sunday morning was very good...nice touch by the omlette chef...sprig of rosemary in the oil...fresh peach/mango juice and smoothies too! Employees were very accomodating...I'd go back for a fun weekend while checking out Asbury Park's night time action!

Room Tip: We were not going to be in room, so we downgraded to partial view....overlooking roof, but could see...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park
La Quinta Inn West Long Branch
La Quinta Inn West Long Branch
#2 of 3 in West Long Branch

Been to Ocean Place Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!