“Waaay Too Pricey for Mediocre Food”

McLoone's Pier House
Reserve with OpenTable
McLoone's Pier House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 131 Restaurants in Long Branch
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Laird Street/Garfield Avenue
Southern NJ
“Waaay Too Pricey for Mediocre Food”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We recently attended a business dinner at McLoone's, and doing so reminded me of why we never go to places like McLoone's on our own: bad value!

The room where the dinner was held was very pleasant, and it certainly had a great view of the beach. The table was set up very nicely with glassware and linens.

At the cash bar, two small glasses of wine were $19.00 for the first round and $18.00 for the second round. Was the bartender hoping for a $2 tip the second time around, instead of $1? The bartender was also incredibly slow and did not serve customers in the order that they arrive at the bar. Another member of our party paid $11.00 for Dewar's scotch for the first round and $12.00 for his second.

Then there was the food. The best part of the meal was the salad. The salad was wrapped with cucumber slices that were pulled together in a circular shape . It was topped with two croutons and balsamic vinaigrette and very nicely plated. Very fresh and flavorful. The lobster bisque had absolutely no taste whatsoever. Apparently there were little pieces of lobster in the bisque, but they didn't taste like anything. Service was fine for the soup and salad, and water glasses were refilled.

Then there was the buffet dinner. Basalmic chicken was tough and overcooked. The salmon was cooked ok, but it had no seasoning whatsoever. Ditto for the little potatoes and green beans: no salt or pepper or any other seasoning. I passed on the bowtie pasta. The slice of prime rib was ok, but I have had much better at other similar buffets. Again, seasoning was lacking.

We did not stay for dessert as we had a 1 1/2 hour drive back. I certainly enjoyed the surroundings and talking with business colleagues, but the meal itself was waaaaaay overpriced and underseasoned. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Thursday nights are great at McLoone's”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

On a recent visit home to the Jersey Shore I went to McLoone's Pier House with my family. We went on a Thursday night as we try to avoid the height of tourist season during the week at shore restaurants. We were seated near the windows and watched the beachgoers pack up for the day as well as the boats that were out on the water. It was a nice atmosphere and not packed. It was a little loud, but that kind of makes you feel like you are in a hip place too, so it was nice.

My brother had some kind of buffalo chicken wontons as an appetizer, they looked good, he said they were good, I didn't try them-it had been an eating fest since I landed so I was cutting corners where I could. I did sneak some of the calamari off my dad's appetizer plate. It was good, nice and light and crispy. I had the grouper-it isn't on their menu online-and it was the best fish meal I have had in a really long time. Grouper is a large fish and most places will slice the fillet in half to stretch portions for dollars. Not here. It was the full fillet and it was over lobster risotto and spinach. Absolutely delicious. It was not dried out and completely satisfying. I wish I had this kind of meal at Eataly Chicago where I ate seafood last night...It was hearty and filling and left me happy. So happy I shoved half of the slice of Tollhouse Cookie Pie in afterwards. #FoodComa
I had a glass of Prosecco and my parents both had the grouper too. Everyone loved it. My brother had the cowboy steak-go figure. He said is was good. My mother and brother had the cheesecake and said it was the best restaurant cheesecake they had in a long time and my father had some sort of monster brownie that he couldn't finish, which is unheard of: McLoone's-1, Big Bill-0.
The meal was really wonderful, we had a nice server who was very attentive, only complaint was we were a little tight against a large party behind us. For a meal this good, you definitely pay for it, but I thought it was worth it, especially since I wasn't dragged to a Jack Baker's restaurant yet again.

Jersey Shore, New Jersey
“go more for atmosphere than food”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This restaurant has a great atmosphere, with beautiful views and beach vibes, however the food is good not great. I suggest going for drinks at the bar, maybe some appetizers, and enjoy the views.

Old bridge
“Just ok”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I was disappointed with what you get for the price you pay. The food was not bad it just wasn't very good. It was ok and super pricey. I have no problem paying up for a meal if it is worth it. This was not. With that being said it is a nice atmosphere being right on beach and the staff were pretty good. I'd go for the bar and to hang out but not to eat.

New Jersey
“Terrible anniversary dinner”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

It was our 3 year anniversary and we had our wedding reception at the Pier House so we thought it would be nice to go back and celebrate. I made a reservation and requested a window seat. When we arrived we were not seated near the window and the hostess said it would be 30 minutes for a seat by the window. We stayed at the seats and were disappointed again as soon as we opened the filthy menu...both our menus literally has crumbs in them with stains all over the pages. Next, our spinach dip appetizer was served borderline cold. The waitress had asked if we had been there before and we told her yes, in fact we had our wedding there and it was our anniversary....you would think maybe that would trigger a glass of champagne on the house being that we spent 30k+ there (anniversary champagne on the house in past years at other restaurants has been standard, and we didn't even get married there). We were lucky our order came out right. The food quality went downhill in the past few years and overall, it was a complete disappointment. I don't think we will ever go back which is a shame considering the memories we have built there.

3 Thank Wanderlust0113