“Would not recommend”
Review of Cedars & Beeches

Cedars & Beeches
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Reviewed November 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed at C&B one night and we were not very impressed, especially based on the price. We were greeted by a rather unfriendly gentleman and the next morning the innkeeper who "presided" over breakfast was rather cold. Our bath did not work and the innkeeper opened a room down the hall that we could use but there were no apologies for the huge inconvenience nor any discount as a result. While the home was lovely to look at, we would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
elc247, Innkeeper at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2009

We are shocked at this review. The eveninng innkeeper who checked the party in actually spent additional time adjusting the fireplace as the fall night was warmer than usual.
As to my "presiding" over breakfast, I did greet you as did my server. You told us both you would wait for your husband. After each interaction you bent your head into the magazine you were reading and never looked up. Whether you realized it or not that "language" told me you did not want to be disturbed from the article you were reading.
You are correct that sometime between the check-out and cleaning that morning and the following morning the plastic tab inside the posi-temp faucet broke, rendering the shower useless. Unfortunately not only is that a repair that requires a replacement part, but it also occurred during breakfast when I cook. The best I could offer at that time was the use of the emply room next door for a shower. And I did apologize.

Reviewed July 11, 2009

We are both fairly new to the area and wanted to bring our close friends and family to the Jersey Shore for our wedding. Cedars and Beeches was a great choice for us and handled our wedding of 32 very well. The rooms were clean and well presented, the breakfast was wonderful, and the dinner served at our reception was very tasty. We had the wedding and reception at Cedars and Beeches and that gave more time for our friends and family to reconnect over the entire weekend we were there. Overall the staff was friendly, but as with any wedding, be prepared to rely on your bridal party for any last minute issues and help!

Other General Advice:
1) Try to define as many options you can think of before meeting with the staff. This will limit any guesswork down the road...
2) Brookstone has some interesting wireless/ipod sound systems, I wish we had looked into that as we had to wire the stereo up last minute. Or you can pay the big bucks for a DJ...
3) You may want to warn some of your guests that their bathroom may be smaller then they expected.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2009

After reading mixed reviews, we decided to stay here for a short weekend NJ shore weekend getaway. The home itself is magnificent, bigger than we expected. We have stayed at many B&B's, and I would describe this one a little more 'like' a hotel? We stayed in a Queen room, which was very comfortable, with a large private bathroom. We are familiar with the area, so did not seek any local activity advice. We were checked in by Jim, whom was very pleasant and helpful. We love the beach at Pier Village in Long Branch, which is where we spent most of our time. We drove to Red Bank sat night for dinner, after seeing a move in the Monmouth mall, just 15 minutes away from the B&B. The breakfast out on the front porch was great. Most B&B's tell you what they are serving that day, but here there was an extensive (and impressive) menu, making it more like a hotel in that sense. It seems some people have complained about the more limited breakfast on weekdays, which we did not experience. Every B&B has its own vibe, but I would certainly recommend this B&B if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Lovely B&B. I received a warm greeting from the desk clerk, who checked me in and showed me to my room. The bed was comfy and breakfast on the front porch was pleasant. I selected oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, juice and coffee. Service was perfectly timed by the B&B owner who was personable and warm.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We booked this B&B for a last minute one night getaway on a weeknight. After booking, we checked out tripadvisor.com and were apprehensive, considering all of the bad reviews! Luckily we had a lovely stay. The Queen room we stayed in was bright and pretty, as was the rest of the house. The staff was really helpful and pleasant, and we felt welcome for the duration of the visit. (Some reviewers found the innkeepers to be distant, cold and rude, but from our point of view, the owner was polite. Definitely not the warmest woman in the world or a "typical" innkeeper, but she was fine.) The breakfast was "continental" but was plentiful. Finally, we found the B&B to be very reasonable - $130 for a weeknight stay, far more economic than other accommodations in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 9, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at this B&B for two nights along with two other couples. Although the house itself is very nice, the man and woman who ran the B&B could not have been more unpleasant and rude. Not only were they impolite, unhelpful, and brash to the six of us, but also it was evident that they were similarly disrespectful to the staff members who work there, including the waitresses. Although I could give several examples, two are telling. When we requested towels to use at the beach (after all, the B&B is located just a few blocks from the ocean), the manager not only seemed annoyed that we would request towels, but offered only to give us tiny bathmats that were no longer in use by the B&B because they had stains and holes. When we returned from the beach at the conclusion of our two night stay, we asked if we could use a restroom before catching a train back home. In response, the manager rudely told us that he would not allow us to use a restroom because there were no “public” restrooms for use at the B&B. At that point I must have had a look of bewilderment on my face that, in spite of having spent a considerable amount of money between the six of us to stay for two nights, we were not even permitted to use an employee restroom before departing! The manager then rudely quipped “how come you look so surprised?” I seriously cannot believe that this B&B is able to stay in business given the fact that customers often choose a B&B (as opposed to a hotel) because of the “homey” and cordial atmosphere they usually provide. This B&B is definitely one to be avoided.

Stayed: August 2007
8  Thank ah2222
A TripAdvisor Member
Naples, FL
Reviewed June 16, 2006

I stayed at the Bed & Breakfast for 4 nights. The room was very quaint, clean, and gave a feeling as if you were at home. The breakfast was delightful and the atmosphere the B&B was comforting. Since I stayed 4 nights, I had to dine out for lunch and dinner, which got pretty pricey. I guess most B&B's don't have a fridge in mirco in the room, but some places have a general fridge and microwave that everyone can use. I paid a total of $850.00 for 4 nights in one of their least expensive rooms. The location of the B&B is safe and quite. It's near the mall; hour drive from Siz Flags Theme Park; places within a few miles to dine out. Overall, it was very relaxing and comforting. Just wish they had a fridge and microwave. =)

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Homewood Suites by Hilton Eatontown
Empress Hotel
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Cedars & Beeches? Share your experiences!