“Extremely clean B&B with courteous staff”
Review of Cedars & Beeches

Cedars & Beeches
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Connecticut
“Extremely clean B&B with courteous staff”
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We recently stayed in Room 6. Place was very clean, including room and common areas. Felt very homey.

Our room was at the back of the house facing the garden, so it was extremely quiet. It was partitioned off from the other rooms on the floor by a separate door just outside our regular room door. That "extra" door slams VERY VERY loudly; fixing that would really make the room just perfectly quiet.

The weather was not hot, but our room was stuffy and too warm during our stay, although the rest of the house including the floor outside that "extra" door was cool and comfortable. Our room had a ceiling fan, but we couldn't identify any other climate control because the thermostat on the wall didn't appear to have any effect. In any event, we came and went at odd hours, and the temp certainly was tolerable if not ideal; so we didn't bother to ask the innkeepers about improving it. I mention it only because others staying in the same room may want to ask about this up front.

I like a soft bed, but ours was too soft for either of us and a little saggy in the middle. We believe a new mattress is in order, but everyone has different preferences, so maybe it's just us.

Breakfast ended too early for us late-sleepers, so I can't comment on it.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay; compared with other B&Bs I've experienced, this one was cleaner and quieter. Would definitely stay here again, especially because location is ideal for our purposes.

Room Tip: Room 6 is in the back of the house facing the garden - nearly silent day and night.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rexaford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Towaco, New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The huge dying Beech tree precludes what lies ahead, for this is not the best choice, but the only one in the area, and they know it. Without pointing out the many issues with this property, suffice it to say: "Look elsewhere".
For the $$$$ daily charge for a room, this inn should serve a full breakfast, in season, every day, not just the weekends.
The only positives we found here were good coffee and that the place was clean.
'nuf said!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BandBguy5
elc247, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
As the name of the property and the many many old estate trees on the property may tell you, we deeply care for our trees and gardens. I thank you for your concern for one of our beeches. For your information, we have had a professional arborist look at the tree. According to him, unfortunately many of the beech trees in this area have suffered from a disease which has killed many of them. With this arborist's advice and help, we are treating the trees with a very special fertilizer, actually only available to arborists and nurseries, a mulching application and trimming the over 100 foot tall tree. There is no guarantee that what we are trying will even work, but we are trying.

In response to the comment about our breakfast, as you know, we do not offer a buffett here or family style service. Rather we offer individually seated table service, and as advertised, a deluxe continental complete with freshly baked muffins, cereals, oatmeal,yogurts, fruit and breads is offered during the midweek mornings, at a price below that of our weekend and holiday dates when a multi-choice full American breakfast of eggs, french toast, pancakes, as well as specialities like Dutch Baby Pancakes, Eggs on a Cloud, Banan French toast is offered. Rather than go into the cost of operation, allow me to say that the variance allows us offer a wider variety of customers that ability to visit Cedars & Beeches, Long Branch and the Jersey shore.
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This place was a gem right very close to the beach. We spent one night here when we were doing a road trip exploring the east coast during the fall. wished we would have stayed longer. Our room was a beautiful victorian style, very spacious, quiet and lots of windows. It really brought me back in time.

The town offered lots of restaurants and things to do. Our trip through Long Branch was a highlight!

The owners were very nice and accommodating. Breakfast in the morning was exceptional in such a warm and inviting environment.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ny
Reviewed April 7, 2011

We booked at the very last minute and were pleasantly surprised to find everything organized when we arrived late at night. The morning revealed a stunningly well kept property, a great breakfast and a very warm and welcoming host.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco CA
Reviewed January 12, 2011

We have stayed in many bed and breakfasts over the years and this one is top notch. The place is immaculate. Every modern feature-free wi-fi, tv, telephone is available. The staff is super accommodating. We had an opportunity to chat with Esther, the owner, and her background in the hotel business really comes through. And does she serve a great breakfast. We were served tableside, given a menu with multiple choices (if you like sweets go for the banana French toast) and pushed away from the table stuffed and licking our lips. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TerrayMar
Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I decided to stay here while visiting family for Christmas. Being that it is so close to my relatives as well as great restaurants, I decided to give it a shot. I booked a king size room and was pleasantly surprised with the size. What struck me as I entered was the expansive staircase and how clean and immaculate this place was! This B&B has the character and service to match. Thanks to Esther and her staff for making my short getaway a pleasant one. PS- don’t miss the breakfast!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Jeff-Trader
Asbury Park
Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed at this B&B last weekend with all the hopes that my sister's wedding would be smooth, hassle-free, and fairy tale-like. There were 6 f us who stayed here, including the Bride, Groom, Best Man, Maid of Honor, the Minister and his wife. Several of our guests were uncomfortable upon their arrival as the owner welcomed them by introducing the Inn as her "house." We were very quiet and respectful the entire time, as we are not the loud partying type, especially since we all had to be up early the next day.
The photographer showed up around 8:30am as planned, and the place was practically vacant, except for us. The owner gave the Bride a hard time about having her photo taken as she walked slowly down the side of the staircase. It's not like she was in the middle of a busy stairway, standing still and blocking traffic. The photographer immediately wanted to take it outside as he said that he was not going to get into an argument with this woman over a single photo. So, outside we went where she (the owner) proceeded to tell them that any photos on the porch were forbidden. Again, the photog was only trying to get a photo of my sister and the Groom, not an entire wedding party. We were all very uncomfortable and didn't really know where else to go besides the driveway, which is where we wound up taking the majority of the photos.
My sister was upset at the fact that she picked this place solely because it would have been beautiful for her wedding photos. Now, she will have photos that were taken in a driveway, opposed to having had a nicer background of the house itself.
Sherry was an employee there who was more than sweet and I actually felt bad for her. She seemed afraid to talk for too long in fear that she would get in trouble for being too friendly to us.
The bottom line of my review and complaint is...if you don't want people in your "HOUSE," than don't run a B&B. I have stayed in many Bed & Breakfast's over the years and none of them have ever made me feel like such an unwanted guest. Hospitality is key in this business and unfortunately I didn't find that at Cedars & Beaches. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank AsburyParkGirl
elc247, Owner at Cedars & Beeches, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
I would have simply dismissed the actions of your wedding party as a failure to communicate among yourselves in the excitement of planning a wedding except for this review. Given the personalization, there are some facts that need to be brought to light.
When your mother first visted to the inn and was shown through the house by Sherry, Sherry advised her that between 8am & 11am the staircase, porch and front doors could not be used for photography as the guests in the house would need access to the stairs to first come to breakfast between 8-10am, would be sitting on the porch for the breakfast, and given that we serve a menu driven breakfast, the staff would need access to the passageways, the doors and the porch to serve.
The next time your mother visited with the bride, your sister, they decided to secure a room. At that time they knew we had but one room left to sell, so while I did endeavor to accommodate her in a room with larger bathroom, there was no question that we were sold out of all 14 rooms, so at no time could the inn be "practically vacant."
Your mother again came by early on that Friday to drop off the dress, again mentioning the photography. Again I explained that unfortunately the timing of the wedding and the planned photography would not make it feasible to use the stairs, the front door or the porch due to the breakfast service and then the need for the other guests to either check-out (with luggage)or leave the inn for their plans for the day. We discussed the fact that the photographers were more than welcome to the sleeping room and to any photography that was wanted anywhere on the grounds and in the garden. But that with 11 other rooms and 26 other people to accommodate, the timing was not good for the stairwell or the porch.
When your photgrapher arrived, I asked them to wait in the living room while I announced they were here to you. Three times while they were waiting for you they wandered and block the passageways and the front doors. I explained to them the need to leave the stairs, passages and front door unobstructed.
After all of this, I was surprised when a guest called down to say they could not leave for their conference because the stairwell was blocked with someone taking pictures. When I left the kitchen I was further surprised to see 5 other guests waiting at the top of the stairs, also unable to pass. Surely this could not be an indication of a "practically vacant" inn. They, at least, did not want to be disrespectful and pass behind your wedding party and ruin your picture. They did however mention to me that they thought the timing was inappropriate but thanked me - both verbally and in writing - for the hospitality and handling the situation.
One more item- As I welcome guests to the inn, I do greet them both with my first name as well as to "my house" in order to give them a welcome that also gives them a connection with the person responsible. The thousands of guests we have hosted over the years have often remarked that it is more personal than a nameless desk clerk welcome you to a building named Holiday Inn or Ritz Carlton. As the owner, it is my responsibility to insure that all of my guests can come go and as they please and can dine when they wish. It is also a responsibility to insure that the employees here are working in a safe enviroment, including not standing with heavily laden trays while the front door is blocked or walking around people congregating in front of those doors.
Perhaps you were not aware of the many conversations that took place prior to that morning regarding the photography. Had we not had these experiences prior and had not imparted that information to your family and the photographers in advance, your point would be well taken. Hospitality is the trademark of our business- one which we offer to ALL our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
3.0 of 5 bubbles 2,139 reviews
The Asbury Hotel
The Asbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Cedars & Beeches? Share your experiences!