“Decent Rooms, Horrible staff and service. Theft on top of it all.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bungalow Hotel

Bungalow Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Long Branch
Newark, Delaware
“Decent Rooms, Horrible staff and service. Theft on top of it all.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here for one night in August for a much needed girls (moms) weekend. We paid $1200 for a suite for one night. Upon check in we were told that it would cost an additional $35 per car to park (there were 6 of us) because the hotel only gets one spot per room in the garage.
The very young and inexperienced girls running the front desk acted as if they had no clue what was going on and it took us over a half hour to get parking straightened out (and an additional $140 more later just to park).

The hotel does a horrible job describing it's location and amenities. The hotel itself sits on a busy street corner and you have to walk to the Avenue restaurant at the beach to enjoy the pool or beach club. It is NOT part of the physical hotel. And it is an additional $25 per person to access their pool and private beach club. Oh yeah, and the "Pool" is three feet deep and about 10 feet long. This is not an exageration.

Upon check out the next day I forgot my very expensive camera in the closet of the hotel.
I called the hotel within 6 hours of checking out to let them know that I would be right back (from delaware) to get it. They told me they do not have it. With no apology, no remorse, or no consideration they told me they would look into it with housekeeping and get back to me. They never called me back that day so I called and asked for the manager stating that I would be back in the morning to either retrieve the camera or file a report with the police. The next day the manager "Victoria" hid in the back office and never came out to address the situation until I called the police to come file a report and watch tapes. She then came out and the first thing she said to me was "you can't watch the tapes, only he can". My thoughts were, OK, nice to meet you too, and thanks for your concern on my major hit here. I'm sorry, how old are you again? So long story short, the camera is gone. Thanks guys. Hope you are enjoying looking at pictures of my son, if you can even turn it on with a dead battery.

The hotel could care less about those that stay there and I would never ever stay there again or recommend it to anyone. For a "boutique" hotel, they are CLASSLESS. Spend your money elsewhere. Because I was ROBBED in more ways than one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank B B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a wedding the weekend after labor day and found out upon arrival that "le club" is closed. The beach is still charging in september although its not strictly enforced-we walked on.

The nicest person was their cleaning staff, girls at the front desk could care less about service. Rooms are big but couch was uncomfortable with an equally uncomfortable table and chairs. Fireplace is cool-

If you need to be in long branch then its a good location however ocean place (even though its more expensive) seems like the better hotel option (nice private beach, lounge chairs, tiki bar & pool).

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Cardonla
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Bungalow. We stay two nights, and it was the perfect romantic getaway. The room was really nice..super comfortable bed, cute decor, upscale amenities. Flat screen TV above the fireplace, double sinks, rain shower. I liked the modern style of the hotel, and the small touches to the room like the chalkboard on the other side of the mirrors above the sink. I found my room to be very clean. We had a view of the parking lot and garage, oh well, but to be honest, the ocean is a five minute walk outside, so I didn't need a view, I could walk to it! I think this is the perfect stay for couples. If you're staying as a family note that the bathroom area is open to the room, meaning you step out of the shower, and you can be seen in the other room. The toilet was private though. I loved the vicinity to the shops in Pier Village. I especially loved the Beach Club access. For $25/person, you get to use the private beach and rooftop pool. Excellent waiter service. If you want to feel like a VIP, definitely take advantage of that. The pool was 3 ft deep, open 12-5, but we enjoyed it, took in the sun and the amazing view. I also enjoyed drinking a frozen drink on one of the beds on the private beach. Exactly what I wanted on my getaway. I found the staff at the hotel to be very laid back and unattentive. There was no room service, but you're close to restaurants, etc., so I'd recommend bringing water bottles, snacks for the room since the mini bar is empty. I really liked the pool table and foosball table, made for a fun little break in the day. The bar was nice, as well as comfy outdoor couches and fireplace. We made use of the hotel amenities and really enjoyed ourselves. Definitely a laid-back romantic getaway for couples in a beautiful beach area. I would recommend it!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa A
Tinton Falls, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've stayed here a few times with my friends and haven't been disappointed once!
We've had the opportunity to stay in the Aloha, Hangloose and Kahuna.

This August before a concert myself as well as 2 of my friends booked a Hangloose, a HUGE studio style room. Didn't want to get out of bed in the morning but unfortunately we had to.

Housekeeping staff is amazing! Chantal brought us extra towels and was more than accommodating. Always energetic!!

During the summer everyone has the opportunity to go to Le Club for an additional fee. If you do decide to go to Le Club, you don't need to bring anything- not sure why I see people complaining?! They have chairs, towels, locker rooms, showers, and a friendly wait staff. You can either sit near the pool which is totally awesome because it's on the roof, or down on the beach steps from the ocean. We also saw dolphins this summer, how cool?!

Victoria, the new General Manager, gave us directions to the beach club and also recommended we make reservations at the Avenue for dinner. Dinner was delish!

The front desk staff, Lacey and Anne Marie greeted us every time we came out of the elevator and always had a warm smile on their face. What great girls!!

Can't wait to come back next year! Already made my reservations!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lacey C
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

this hotel is located about two blocks from the beach. the rooms are spacious and very modern and fun. bed is comfortable and the room is clean. had a nice kitchen-type area but cabinets completely empty, no coffee maker and only an empty mini-frig. There is a fun lobby with a pool table and foosball and a bar. adjacent is a bakery/cafe which was nice for a snack or breakfast. staying at the hotel allows you to get into the beach club, LeClub. $27/adult before food or drink but worth it if you don't want to pack towels, chairs etc. this is our second stay at the Bungalow and we would definitely go back. one wish would be for them to have connecting rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EHS216
mendham, new jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Superficially pretty, cool design but not maintained (see photos.) Unenthusiastic staff, view of parking lot. Very deceptive website shows photos of pool and beach club which might be "affiliated" with hotel but unlike the website photos...are not connected to hotel. For $25 per person (per day) you can use Le Club's facilities. Hey wait..so, we arrive at 3:00 pm, and can pay $50 to go to beach club for 2 hours, it closes at 5? Due to this confusing website, we were not prepared to go to public beach (did not want to, did not bring chairs, towels.) When we arrived, maid was in our room vacuuming and mopped floors were wet. No room service, no coffee makers in room. Rooms have stunning kitchen with empty cabinets and nothing in mini bar --- so why bother? Hotel is NOT on beach. short walk but again, misleading website. A/C did not work!! Hoping for some compensation on that disaster. Plusses? Cool rooms and lobby. Very nice dinner, lovely staff, food and beautiful outdoor seating at The Avenue restaurant, also not attached to hotel, but right on the ocean (misleading on website.)The Bungalow is not worth it, we did not like this town and are happy we are only here for one night - on way to Cape May!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank emilyzh
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I just came back from a very relaxing stay at the Bungalow. We stayed in the Aloha room and found the furnishings terrific. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and we loved the modern/chic décor.

The lobby of the hotel is likewise terrific. Great bar/lounge area. The location is one block away from the Beach Club and lots of great restaurants. Very convenient and easy to get to from Northern NJ.

The only upgrade I can think of would be complementary passes to the Beach Club, which was lovely. But it's an extra $27 per person per day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Urbane_Biz_Traveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Empress Hotel
#2 of 6 in Asbury Park
4.0 of 5 stars 256 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Eatontown

Been to Bungalow Hotel? Share your experiences!