“Roof Top Bar!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Daddy O Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Roof Top Bar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My only experience is at the roof top bar at Daddy O's. This was a really good alternative to the rather pricey restaurant. The atmosphere was sleek and and fun. I loved feeling the summer night's breeze while sipping a mojito! The selection of appetizers we had were pretty decent too. One warning is that the roof top isn't huge so maybe go with a smaller group of friends.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I will start off by saying all the 'bad' reviews I read about Daddy O's were either within the first year or 2 they were open, or just written by miserable people that wouldn't be satisfied staying at a hotel made for royalty. I will call these people 'I hate my life, so everyone else should hate theirs too' and if you're not one of those, then you should disregard their reviews.

We booked this vacation about a week before leaving, so I wasn't expecting much for it being last minute, however the Hotel does boast it's 'uniqueness' and 'boutique' like qualities, so I had really high hopes that it would live up to it. First of all, it's so adorable from the outside, I thought it would look out of place for the shore, but it didn't at all. From the moment we stepped in side, we were greeted by the nicest staff members I have ever dealt with. And better yet, they were young so I was expecting your usual 'i don't need to be here, my daddy is rich but forcing me to get a job'. Quite the contrary, from the receptionist to the bartenders to the room staff, they were all professional, hard working and constantly pleasant.

Everything on the inside of the hotel is tasteful, warm and inviting. There is a large restaurant, an outside lounge/bar/restaurant area and a roofdeck. My only complaint there was that they had to shut the music down early due to the 'i hate my life...' neighbors, but considering I've been staying in Jersey for almost 10 summers, that is to be expected. We ate and drank in each part of the hotel, and each meal was really good and their menu was plentiful.

The rooms (yes on the small side as other reviews mention) were cute, tasteful and perfect for what you need. I mean come on, there is only one reason to stay in a room on vacation, otherwise how much time do you spend there?? My only suggestion about the bathroom was that I prefer to have a shower bench, but that's just me :)

The beach really was only a block from the hotel, and absolutely gorgeous. We never had to wait to get a towel or beach chair, and it was a LOT easier than having to bring beach stuff from home. To paint the picture appropriately, I have been going to the shore for 10 years and have probably only been to the beach 10 times... I was sitting on the beach, almost all day, for 5 straight days on this vacation.

So I would highly recommend Daddy O's, unless of course you're one of 'those' people, but then again if you are, you really should just lock yourself in your house for the rest of your miserable life.

Oh, and we liked it so much we stayed 2 extra nights than originally planned :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Conshy19
northern NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

understand upfront what you are getting. We had stayed at Daddy Os several times a few summers ago when they initially opened and were there recently again.

Pros:
High- end look & feel- not something you normally find in a hotel on the Jersey shore.
The rooms with two queen beds (the only ones we sated in and they have only two of them) are very well designed and work great for a family, the furnishings are done very well and the bathroom is extremely well designed.
Food- just excellent, we had three meals here, all sitting out in their patio as the weather was wonderful and everything was great. Right up my alley.
Roof Bar- this has changed since my last visit and is now more than just the seating area it used to be (although I miss the sofas they had), but the place now has a buzz with a beach scene crowd.
Service- the last few times service was good but not great- this time it was great. Everyone we had contact with, especially the found lady at the front desk was extremely nice. Everything worked and request were handled efficiently and professionally.
Nice outdoor shower facility for using on your last day after checkout.
Beach chairs (no umbrellas) and passes provided.
Cons:
Its not on the beach- the beach is a block away and you have to cross a small road.
The view from the room is of a busy road. No balconies.
No pool.
Very expensive in season- this year around $450 all-in on weekends and $375 on weekends.

Requests to management:
You need to offer a peak-season "beach turn-down service". For example, 2/4 chairs set-up with an umbrella and a cooler with beverages, with pick-up included. Lugging chairs to the beach, remembering to bring an umbrella or having to go out and purchase one detracts from the high end experience. If this cannot work on an inclusive basis in the room charge, charge separately for it, but have it as an option.
Secondly, a minor nit, as you do not have a balcony, have swimsuit drying device (as they have in Gyms) installed in the bathrooms. Swimsuits don't dry inside the room and taking them outside on your property is not practical.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank AKR1
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My daughter and I were at LBI for 2 days. We love good food and the pics online of Daddy O looked nice so we decided to try. We arrived very early due to afternoon rain and the bar had about 25 guests and we were the first to be seated in the restaurant. Our server was great and the food was very good. So good we actually went back for lunch the next day and eventhough the dish we loved the night before was not on the lunch menu the chef stll made it for us (Spicy grilled shrimp in a mango salsa and a amazing sauce) We will certainly go back there when in the area. ps also the decor of the restaurant is VERY nice. We did not sleep at the Hotel so I can;t write anything about that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

The available hotels on LBI are pretty bad, so when I saw this place, I jumped at it. Yes, it's expensive, but not when you consider that a nice B&B on the island is even more per night, and the flea bag motels run only about 30% less in high season. The hotel is super clean and neatly furnished. I had a small room at the corner of the hotel for one night and it was more than sufficient for my needs. The bed was very comfortable and the room was fairly quiet (but it was a Monday night. I might be concerned staying over the weekend, with the bar above one's head.) The staff was friendly. My one complaint is the bathroom sink. For some reason, they installed these sinks that are 8 inches higher than the counter. While they look funky, they are impractical. I'm a woman of average height and in order to wash my face, I had to stand on my tiptoes. I would have liked a step stool, because I had to bend my arms at such an uncomfortable angle. Strange that no one thought of this, before going with that option. The one amenity that is worth the cost of admission: the ability to use their outdoor showers after you check out. I hate driving home full of salt and sand, but don't want to lose the beach day. Their showers make that drive and the day of check out so much nicer. They'll even give you a clean towel!

Room Tip: I'd suggest rooms 201, or 202 (corner rooms at the back of the hotel) or rooms closer to the fro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank justxlns
Weehawken
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I must say, upon walking into this establishment my expectations were not much. Reading the reviews on this website make this place out to be a mess! I found the staff to be more than courteous as my husband and I were greeted in a timely fashion and brought to our table. You could tell it was a busy night by the amount of people dining in the restaurant. Our server came over to us and introduced himself the first chance he had. Being someone in the restaurant industry, I know how easily one can get flustered! Although there weren't any specials, he answered all of our questions and gave his own recommendations. My husband and I both had the "Tikitini," a fun little island drink to start! We ordered an order of the calamari and it was incredible. My husband got the filet and I decided on the scallops. We both tried each others meals and were impressed. The portions aren't huge but they are enough to fill you up with an appetizer. We were ready for the check and then we heard the desserts. A bananas foster ice cream cake?! How could we say no?! We shared the cake and were ready for bed. Although we didn't stay at the hotel, if it was anything like the dining experience, I would be willing to give it a shot. Its a shame we hadn't tried this place sooner! Overall, one of the better dining experiences I have had in a while.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I have to say that I stayed here with my husband for a weekend getaway this past weekend. It was a wonderful experience. The hotel staff even had beach passes for us to use as well as towels and beach chairs. When you walk up to the bar, you are greeted within seconds and a cold drink in your hand within a minute. Dinner was exceptional! I especially enjoyed the scallops that I had. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and knew about which wine would go great with the scallops I had. The management really knows how to train their staff the right way because from the minute I entered this place to the minute I left, everyone was so kind and accommodating. We will be back as soon as our work schedules allow us!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 215, it's bigger than most and on the corner which gives it some more privacy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The Water Club by Borgata
The Water Club by Borgata
#2 of 50 in Atlantic City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,021 reviews

Been to Daddy O Hotel? Share your experiences!