“Can't Trust the TV Commercials - Not even close to a NYC deli !!!”

Irving's Delicatessen
Ranked #43 of 88 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Traveled some 45 minutes to this place as the commercials on TV were taking me back to my days in New York City and the memories of the packed deli’s and exquisite pastrami sandwiches with sour pickles. The anticipation was great and I was frustrated finding the place as my GPS did not pick it up. Finally after arriving I walked into a huge, one room dining area with a deli and cooking counter on the left reminiscent of NYC. Well that's where I stopped making any more comparisons to NYC. There were no counters full of great Jewish meats or deserts, nothing hanging behind the counter. This was about 1:30pm and the place was empty except for about 2 people eating at two different tables. In fact, there were more servers that there were customers yet no one asked me to be seated. Finally went to the counter to order a pastrami sandwich and was asked whether or not it was to go. When I said I would eat it here he told me to take a table. So, maybe that's what you're supposed to do and that's why no one paid attention to me? Even if true, they would be well advised to approach customers milling around with a confused look on their faces. I order the "powerchute..." a pastrami on half a potato knish with sauerkraut, Russian dressing and fries for $16.00! Fries and potato knish?? Ohh well. The knish was over-fried so what usually is a very consumable inside was almost non-existent; the pastrami was fatty and not good quality (to be sure, you can pay extra to get 'lean' meat); the Swiss cheese was overwhelming the entire sandwich - was this a "cover-up"? Overall not a very appetizing meal. Left over half of it there and cashed out quickly. PS: the coke was excellent. Next time I get the urge, it will have to be NYC not Livingston, NJ

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Years ago, going to visit our new granddaughter, my son happned to take Mom and Dad to lunch chosing Irving's. On walking in, I imagined myself 50+ish years earlier at a place on the Lower East side who's interior bore a striking resemblence to Irving's. Indeed the almost giveway is the lack of a hanging Hebrew National Salami with the sign "Send a Salami to your Boy in the Army.
While Irving's looks like Katz's, its lacks the fast paced frenzy that I always remember it had. And I have to agree with other posters that the waitstaff could be a bit more service oriented and that you should stay away from obvious commercially prepared foods, yet when you get to the basics - soups and sandwiches - your dealing with some pretty good deli - so good that sometimes I'm in there 2-3 days in a row. Sandwiches come in 2 sizes - a whole being huge. I stick to the more economical half which after a cup of matzah ball or mushroom barley soup and 4 or 5 half sours pickles.
The food is good deli and after regular visits for years, I can truly say I've nerver had cause to regret Irving's.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

From past experience, I returned to Irving's (at my husband's request) with low expectations. Unfortunately, not much had changed. On the dinner special's menu ("Diner"), two of my husband's favorites were not available, as usual. As a matter of fact only 4 of the 10 specials WERE available. I got a sandwich, on which they forgot the requested mustard. Fortunately (?) an old squeeze bottle was on the table. My husband's turkey platter was the same thinly sliced turkey as on my sandwich. The server seemed inexperienced and forgetful.
There were more customers on this Wednesday night than in the past. Overall, the staff seemed nonchalant and just doing their job. Fortunately for me, my husband said he has had his fill of Irvings for a long time to come!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Group of 3 ordered 3 sandwiches, took about 20 mins for the food to come out. They advertise their sandwiches as stacked, turkey sandwich had about 2 ounces of meat on it if I had to guess, definitely less than 4 oz. the rye bread was like white bread, brown lettuce, the swiss cheese
appeared to be processed cheese; high sheen, no holes. The bill was just under $50 for 3 sandwiches and 3 iced teas. Absolute worst meal I've had in a long time.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We've been here quite a few times and watch as the place continues to slide downhill. The place is filthy; the help needs to clean up their act (and themselves). Yesterday was the last straw. Ordered a side of potato salad, and WOW was it sour!!!! Sent it back obviously, along with my flat fountain soda. Interestlingly, the bulk of the bad potato salad stayed in the case for the next victims.

Tables, floors, menus are filthy!

It's back to Eppes on a regular basis.

1  Thank Aldo V