“Top Notch Deli”

Irving's Delicatessen
Ranked #35 of 83 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Love Irving's. Matzo Ball soup is delicious as is the Pastrami on rye. Other favorites include the Jewish salami and Liverwurst sandwiches, both on rye, and the hot dog with kraut.

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

You can't go wrong with a Jewish deli! The square knishes are very tasty and pastrami & corned beef sandwiches are fabulous! Definitely try it!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am not Jewish but I can compare one good meal to another. When I was in Newark on assignment the manager at that office said to me 15 years ago I,m going to take you to a real deli his name was Irving Cohen and he was Jewish. The deli he took me to was Hobbie's be around for 75 years. So he open my taste to good deli and every time I get a chance and when I'm in Newark thats where I go.
A few weeks ago I passed Irvings and decided to give it a try. It was lunch time and I was by myself I entered the restaurant was about 10% full. I sat for about
10 minutes before the waitress wanted to take my order, I told her I need a menu,she seemed bothered another 3 minutes and got my menu order a drink she
came back and brought me a bowl of pickles and I ordered a Hot Pastrami sandwich and a side of fries. Well I picked up a semi-sour pickle unfornately someone did not like it a took a bite from it and a green tomatoe had a slice cut out.
Now the pastrami sandwich came.I know Hobbie Pastrami Sandwich and your not A Hobbie. the pastrami must have been purchased and was not smoked there as well as the fries they where dropped in the fryer frozen and taken out to fast .They where still cold in the middle. The waitress never came back to ask me if I wanted
another drink she asked me if I wanted to have my plate wrapped. 1/3 of a sandwich and 2 fries where eaten . I said no,would you like desert,No paid the check and she got a tip. I felt sorry for her. If mangement does,t not set the guidelines the employees follow mangement. I look at yelp and I looked at trip advisor and I don"t understand the major discrapacy. There where alot more reviews on yelp and I wish I had read them first .(they represented more of the expience that I had )I would not have wasted $20 for lunch.
I guess the rest of the week Costco $1.59 hot dog with refillable drink will balance it out.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Whether for take-out of eat in, the pastrami at Irvings is tender and tasty and I could, I'm sure, get addicted to their wildly discounted hot pastrami sandwiches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays...My only complaint was that they don't stock bottles of sparkling water.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

If your craving real Kosher Deli this is a knock off on the old fashsion delis of New York. They try to look like Katz's. No self respecting deli would use frozen french fries. Now there are not alot of real Kosher or Kosher Style delis left in New York but you know that who ever is the owner is not jewish. So if you are want better quality you got to go to Harolds in Edison if you got the cravings for some one who knows what he is doing or go to the shop rite in parsippany.

1  Thank marc s