“Never Again”
Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed August 5, 2007

At first glance this looks like a great hotel. But from reservations to check out there were issues, and although I brought them to their attention - they were not resolved with any degree of professionalism.

I was traveling with twin 1 year olds to see family. I requested 2 cribs in the room - specifically mentioning we would need them on our arrival to put them in for naps. I specifically also asked if two cribs would fit in the room and after being put on hold then assured me it would not be a problem.

I got there and the cribs were not in the room. After an hour of two toddlers running around exhausted I called down to inquire when they would be delivered. They called back and said they only had one crib available and that I only reserved one crib. After me insisiting and using a name of someone I spoke with making the reservation they said they would do their best to resolve the situation. Finally one crib arrived and they said teh other would be on the way. It's now 9pm at this point - way past bed time for these little ones. I call again - and they say one is on the way - it was a pack and play - I said ok good enough. I'm flexible I can deal.

Then the bed was like sleeping on the floor. Homeless people have better nights sleep outside. It was horrible.

To compound the problem - I used my debit card to reserve the room. They ended up charging me 3 times and screwing up my checking account. For a 2 night stay they charged almost a total of $1,300. Certainly a far cry from the $403 that was actual charge. A day later and after not being able to withdrawl any cash from my checking account, I called to clear it up. I was never apologized to - and they credited my accout which will take up to 3 days. Great!! I ask to speak to the General Manager and have yet to get a return call.

The moral of the story - all is not what it appears at the Westminster Hotel. Horrible.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Twobeans

Reviewed May 29, 2007

Quick Take: This is a beautiful hotel with excellent rooms. BUT, the service from the staff is the worst I've ever experienced. I cannot recommend this property.

Pros: Luxurious rooms, nice restaurant, workout facility

Cons: Service

We stayed at the Westminster for a wedding over Memorial Day weekend, 2007. Upon arrival, we found the television remote and the telephone did not work. Within ten minutes, someone came and fixed both problems.

After our first night, we vacated the room about 9am, returning to prepare for dinner at 3:30 -- the room had NOT been cleaned. Finally, a maid arrived at 4:45pm and cleaned the room. She did not leave clean wash cloths. After the second night, we again vacated our room early. Upon return at 4pm, the room had not been cleaned. I asked a maid in the hall to do it since we needed to prepare for the wedding. She said she would contact someone to do it. No one arrived and even after the wedding the room had not been touched. Also, several people in the wedding party had similar experiences.

We found the staff, in general, to be unwilling to help and unresponsive to requests. This was the worst I've ever experienced when it comes to service.

The rooms are very well appointed. The beds are comfortable, but a little hard. There is a nice work station. The TV was old and didn't give a great picture. The bathrooms were very nice with marble.

This may list as a four-diamond hotel, but only by sight, not service.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bobbarrenger
Reviewed January 23, 2007

We stayed here for a romantic weekend getaway in December. We selected the hotel for its proximity to NYC as well as price. We arrived too early to check in but the staff held our bags for us and put them in the room once it was ready. They also put us in a room away from other guests so we were not disturbed at all. The room was quite comfortable,clean and a treat to come to after being in the city all day.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCMrsg
Reviewed January 1, 2007

My husband and I decided to try something a little different for New Years Eve this year. We booked a room at the Westminster only one night in advance. We chose this hotel because of it's close location, the pictures we saw, and for the fact that there was a bar and restaurant in the hotel. My only complaint is that because we neglected to make reservations for the Strip House early enough, we were told to check at 10pm to see if there were any cancellations. Unfortunatley, we were not informed that we could eat at the bar. We stopped on the way to the hotel for a quick bite to eat. Once we got there we saw many other couples eating at the bar. So if your heading there, wait to eat there. The food looked and smelled sensational!! At check in I was given the key card to a room with two double beds, I informed the woman that I had booked a king sized bed and she proceeded to ignore me. I'm not one for putting up a fight, so we took the room.

The room itself was very nice. The beds were very comfortable, the room spotless, the bathroom spacious and clean, and as advertised, the pillows were extremely comfortable. The room came with 1 complimentary robe for the night -- I had booked for 2 people. Not an issue for us, no one planned on wearing it. If you want the extra robe for the extra person -- be sure to ask for it at Check-in. We explored the hotel for a while and saw the pool first. It was large enough and had a small hot tub. The hours were the best part. I have been to several hotels and have never heard of an indoor pool open from 6am-10pm. The hotel even has a lounge with chairs, books, a small kitchenette, computers and internet access, a printer and some other odds and ends. This place would be a working professionals dream hotel. The bar was great, the bartender friendly. The drinks were a little pricey, but our bartender had a heavy hand. It was an all around great experience. I plan on doing it again for next New Years Eve.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bailsmom698
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Stayed here for business one weeknight at $159. Free parking. Nice small free gym with treadmills, bikes, free weights and stepper - bottled water and personal TV's. Very clean room; decent amenities in bathroom; furnished in a modern style. Coffee-maker was a 2-cupper. Free wired internet connection. AC worked great /quiet and you could open the windows slightly for fresh air ( becoming less and less common).Bed was very comfortable except the hard wooden corners about 1 foot off othe floor stuck out 6-8 inches from the mattress. Why is this important? Ask the bruises on your legs ! Suggest maybe putting your suitcase near the corner of the bed that you're most likely to run into.
Front desk was quick but neglected to tell me at check-in (and another lost guest I bumped into in the elevator) that my room was in another bulding via a different set of elevators. Also no bill under the door in the AM. Near a Houlihan's and an Olive Garden and about 1/2 mile form the Prudential Insurance Offices.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Royzee
Reviewed July 5, 2005

The rooms looked nice but the walls are thin like paper. I stayed accross one of those rooms you can rent for events. One night there was a party and the people walked and talked along the floor. It was terrible loud. I recommend earplugs for free at the reception. Never ask for a room in groundfloor and never accross any event. The people are nice.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank TheWorldIsDelicious
A TripAdvisor Member
West Orange, NJ
Reviewed May 21, 2005

This hotel is not that great! yes the furniture is nice/new and the lobby has an upscale look, but the rooms are small (smaller than several Holiday Inn's I've stayed at accross the country). Furniture is placed in wierd locations like a small sofa behind a mini bar is 1 foot away from the bed??? they should just do without the sofa. And talk about an over priced mini bar....small bottel of EVIAN water for $5.00???!!!!! Also the blankets did not appear to look clean...they had stains on them. Bathtub is also quite small with a support bar taking up most of your washing space.

i wouldn't stay here again for the price my BF paid. It was $139 for 1 night...insane. I think its worth between 80 - 90 per night.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
Garden Plaza Hotel
Garden Plaza Hotel
#4 of 4 in West Orange

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!