“Amazing place for a wedding party!!”
Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed September 27, 2009

After looking at a few hotels in the area of our wedding venue, my wife and I decided on the Westminster. Although we didn't schedule an appointment, Joannie, the Banquet Manager, was gracious and courteous and spent a lot of time working with us. We had all the guests from our wedding stay in the hotel the entire weekend. The rooms are immaculate, clean, stylish and amazing. The entire hotel is modern and amazing. The staff are courteous and caring. We truly had an amazing wedding due largely to the Westminster Hotel. We enjoyed it and our experience so much, we recommended it to a friend who is using it for her wedding next year. We strongly recommend this Hotel and Joannie Cruz to anyone who is looking for an amazing experience filled with courteous, caring and accommodating people in an amazingly beautiful and luxurious hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009

Reviewed July 19, 2009

Great hotel for business...but not a romantic night. What attracted me to this hotel was the anniversary & romance packages they offered, due to them offering these type's of packages I assumed this would be a great night away for my spouse & I to celebrate our 8 yr anniversary.Booked a in room couples massage to have massage therapist tell us at time of massage that our room was to small to perform massage in!! Why was this allowed to be booked then?! Masssage therapist, Maria was very good and knowledgeable,but we had to have our massages done in the spa, not our room as planned.Was awoken at 8:18 am Saturday morning,by a maid trying to enter our room!Please, a print out of whom has or hasn't checked out should be provided to the maids & updated throughout the morning for them,at least before the 11 am checkout. A/C either ran to cold or the room would get very stuffy before it would kick back on in auto mode. Garden level, is the basement! And you feel like you are in the basement!Room was cluttered w/to much furniture for size of room..Would rather not have chaise,so mini fridge could be against the wall, not sticking out like it was...Bed was hard, but then again I prefer a more plush mattress...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is a classy, stylish hotel that costs less than the surrounding boring corporate ones. The location is convenient to highways. We loved the room - trendy style, spacious, with lots of extras and frills like plush robe and lollipops. Breakfast had a wonderful variety of tasty options - it doesn't make sense to me why they don't offer it for Saturday & Sunday. Staff were super professional, friendly, and responsive. I had one problem with my room and a few minutes after I told the front desk, a manager called to apologize and offer me free miles. I liked seeing the excitement of weddings, and was surprised that the hotel wasn't noisy because of it. We would surely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I was going to northern NJ on business and needed a central location. I actually booked through Hotwire. I hadn't even looked at or even knew about the Westminster, but I'm glad Hotwire put me there. The other options I was looking at were Courtyards or Hampton Inns and this was a very big step up for a lot less money. The room was very nice, good TV, nice set up and the bed was very comfortable. I had read other reviews and was wondering about these towels. But everyone's right - they do have REALLY nice towels. The room service, while limited, was very good and delivered on time. I was given an 'upgrade' to a Club room. I visited the lounge and there wasn't really much there for me. If I'm in the area again, I'd come back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I stayed here previously on business, so I decided to surprise my boyfriend for a "weekend getaway" for Valentine's Day. We only live 30 minutes away but this hotel has a great restaurant and a great spa. I reserved our massages weeks in advance & I couldn't be happier. The spa area is clean and very soothing. The massage was spectacular and it wasn't expensive-I couldn't be happier! I wanted us to have dinner in the restaurant but it was completely booked on Valentine's night, but the best part was when I told the front desk as to how bummed we were about the restaurant they offered to take us to a restaurant nearby & the food was great! They drove us there and back! The room was comfortable and very "new york" design and the bed was better than the chain hotel beds! Which really impressed me! Looking forward to my next visit, hopefully sometime soon.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed at the Westminster the weekend of March 7th, Our daughter got married at the Crystal Plaza in Livingston on Sunday, March 8th. For months before theJ BIG DAY, I had several phone calls with Joannie Cruz, who was just fabulous and very patient with all of my questions and concerns. We booked about 20 rooms (at a special wedding discount rate) and everyone was very pleased with the cleanliness and overall decor of the rooms. The hotel staff gave us a complimentary room for the bridal party to get their hair and make-up done on Sunday morning before the ceremony. We were also offered a shuttle back and forth to the wedding. Everyone we came in contact with at the hotel was courteous and just wonderful to us! Our stay at the Westminster certainly added to the overall excitement and success of the wedding weekend! One last thing...after the wedding, we were so tired. About 8 of us went to the pool , hung out and put our feet in the hot tub ! IT was great !!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I know I am off the beaten trail here however I was invited to a good friend's daughter's wedding in NJ. The invite contained a discounted stay at the Westminster Hotel in Livingston. I stayed two nights for convenience sake and the hotel was comfortable enough. I found the room adequate to good but the bar was somewhat lacking, particularly in pricing.

All this aside, nothing prepared me for what happened at the the post wedding party which was planned to be held in the hotel bar. The party arrived at 11:30 PM, possibly 50 in all, as expected by the hotel. Instead of a warm greeting by the bar manager and personnel, the staff rudely told the new bride and family that the bar is closed. The conversation then turned heated as expected after booking an entire wing for this event. The bar manager then slammed the bar door shut and promptly called the police. He also called the bride a [-] and I'm not making this up, I wish I was. This was then followed by the arrival of approximately 10 police officers with night sticks who then dispersed the wedding party. Normally one might understand these actions if the crowd were young and rowdy but it wasn't. We are talking about several families of well to do backgrounds with an average age of 45. I am also a frequent traveller with loyality membership levels including 1K miler status with United, Hilton diamond member, Starwood Gold member (on and on) who travelled from California for this event. I have never seen such poor behavior on the behalf of any staff in any hotel in the world. Later complaints to the management resulted in nothing less than superficial and calious responses that were nothing less than poor attempts to cover their rear ends. I cannot not recommend this hotel at this time and would recommend that its senior management evaluate the hotel practices and staffing.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank cyberdaemon
WestminsterMgmt, Hotel Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2009

At Westminster Hotel, we strive to provide a welcoming and accommodating environment for everyone that stays with us and uses our facilities. It is our right and our responsibility to protect that environment and insure that it is safe and secure for you, other guests and our associates. When we believe that the environment is threatened in any way, we are obligated to act and we empower our team members to take action when they believe it is warranted to maintain the safety and security of the premises for everyone. Our team members made a determination, based on the behavior of your party, that action was necessary. As a policy, we contact the local authorities only as a last resort, and we do not control the behavior of the police. Despite your assertions that your party was orderly, the police felt it necessary to intervene to manage the situation. It is our intent, our obligation and our responsibility to make sure everyone in our building is safe. Our actions were ultimately designed to secure that safety for everyone including you and your party.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 1 in Short Hills
Residence Inn West Orange
Residence Inn West Orange
#2 of 4 in West Orange

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!