“Classy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westminster Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Westminster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Detroit, Michigan
“Classy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

This is a classy, stylish hotel that costs less than the surrounding boring corporate ones. The location is convenient to highways. We loved the room - trendy style, spacious, with lots of extras and frills like plush robe and lollipops. Breakfast had a wonderful variety of tasty options - it doesn't make sense to me why they don't offer it for Saturday & Sunday. Staff were super professional, friendly, and responsive. I had one problem with my room and a few minutes after I told the front desk, a manager called to apologize and offer me free miles. I liked seeing the excitement of weddings, and was surprised that the hotel wasn't noisy because of it. We would surely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Redwood City, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

I was going to northern NJ on business and needed a central location. I actually booked through Hotwire. I hadn't even looked at or even knew about the Westminster, but I'm glad Hotwire put me there. The other options I was looking at were Courtyards or Hampton Inns and this was a very big step up for a lot less money. The room was very nice, good TV, nice set up and the bed was very comfortable. I had read other reviews and was wondering about these towels. But everyone's right - they do have REALLY nice towels. The room service, while limited, was very good and delivered on time. I was given an 'upgrade' to a Club room. I visited the lounge and there wasn't really much there for me. If I'm in the area again, I'd come back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Jersey city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2009

I stayed here previously on business, so I decided to surprise my boyfriend for a "weekend getaway" for Valentine's Day. We only live 30 minutes away but this hotel has a great restaurant and a great spa. I reserved our massages weeks in advance & I couldn't be happier. The spa area is clean and very soothing. The massage was spectacular and it wasn't expensive-I couldn't be happier! I wanted us to have dinner in the restaurant but it was completely booked on Valentine's night, but the best part was when I told the front desk as to how bummed we were about the restaurant they offered to take us to a restaurant nearby & the food was great! They drove us there and back! The room was comfortable and very "new york" design and the bed was better than the chain hotel beds! Which really impressed me! Looking forward to my next visit, hopefully sometime soon.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
mt. laurel, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed at the Westminster the weekend of March 7th, Our daughter got married at the Crystal Plaza in Livingston on Sunday, March 8th. For months before theJ BIG DAY, I had several phone calls with Joannie Cruz, who was just fabulous and very patient with all of my questions and concerns. We booked about 20 rooms (at a special wedding discount rate) and everyone was very pleased with the cleanliness and overall decor of the rooms. The hotel staff gave us a complimentary room for the bridal party to get their hair and make-up done on Sunday morning before the ceremony. We were also offered a shuttle back and forth to the wedding. Everyone we came in contact with at the hotel was courteous and just wonderful to us! Our stay at the Westminster certainly added to the overall excitement and success of the wedding weekend! One last thing...after the wedding, we were so tired. About 8 of us went to the pool , hung out and put our feet in the hot tub ! IT was great !!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

I know I am off the beaten trail here however I was invited to a good friend's daughter's wedding in NJ. The invite contained a discounted stay at the Westminster Hotel in Livingston. I stayed two nights for convenience sake and the hotel was comfortable enough. I found the room adequate to good but the bar was somewhat lacking, particularly in pricing.

All this aside, nothing prepared me for what happened at the the post wedding party which was planned to be held in the hotel bar. The party arrived at 11:30 PM, possibly 50 in all, as expected by the hotel. Instead of a warm greeting by the bar manager and personnel, the staff rudely told the new bride and family that the bar is closed. The conversation then turned heated as expected after booking an entire wing for this event. The bar manager then slammed the bar door shut and promptly called the police. He also called the bride a [-] and I'm not making this up, I wish I was. This was then followed by the arrival of approximately 10 police officers with night sticks who then dispersed the wedding party. Normally one might understand these actions if the crowd were young and rowdy but it wasn't. We are talking about several families of well to do backgrounds with an average age of 45. I am also a frequent traveller with loyality membership levels including 1K miler status with United, Hilton diamond member, Starwood Gold member (on and on) who travelled from California for this event. I have never seen such poor behavior on the behalf of any staff in any hotel in the world. Later complaints to the management resulted in nothing less than superficial and calious responses that were nothing less than poor attempts to cover their rear ends. I cannot not recommend this hotel at this time and would recommend that its senior management evaluate the hotel practices and staffing.

• Stayed February 2009
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cyberdaemon
WestminsterMgmt, Hotel Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
At Westminster Hotel, we strive to provide a welcoming and accommodating environment for everyone that stays with us and uses our facilities. It is our right and our responsibility to protect that environment and insure that it is safe and secure for you, other guests and our associates. When we believe that the environment is threatened in any way, we are obligated to act and we empower our team members to take action when they believe it is warranted to maintain the safety and security of the premises for everyone. Our team members made a determination, based on the behavior of your party, that action was necessary. As a policy, we contact the local authorities only as a last resort, and we do not control the behavior of the police. Despite your assertions that your party was orderly, the police felt it necessary to intervene to manage the situation. It is our intent, our obligation and our responsibility to make sure everyone in our building is safe. Our actions were ultimately designed to secure that safety for everyone including you and your party.
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

Spent two nights here recently on business.

What stands out about the Westminster is the luxurious bath towels - without a doubt the best I have encountered in a long time.

The hotel appears somewhat dated in a few areas, but overall this was a pleasant experience.

The room was large and quiet. The king size bed was comfortable, ample pillows.

Bathroom was large, lots of counter space, shower high enough for tall people, good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Easy to use high speed internet.

Downsides to this room included the high tech clock radio that apparently only a rocket scientist can program. I don't like wake-up calls, so my alternative was to use my cell phone. However the cell needed charging and there were no easily accessible electrical outlets near the bed. So my cell was charged on the desk, which meant getting out of bed to turn off the alarm - maybe that is a good thing, but they need to have electrical outlets accessible from the nightstands.

About the only downside in the bathroom was the lack of a fan. The desk chair was somewhat difficult to use. The arms are rigid and do not move - they kept caching the pockets on my pants.

I could not get the room as cool as I would have liked - the thermostat only went to 65, but it never seemed to get that cold. The window air conditioner was also very noisy. Probably needed to move some settings on the unit in the window, but the thermostat gives you the impression that is all you need to do.

The hotel makes no mention at all of the free continental breakfast served in the bar each morning - seems like they don't want you to know about it. not much to the breakfast, but it is start to the day.

Overall I would go back here and would recommend.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

This was our first trip into the Livingston area and we were directed to the Westminster Hotel because my cousin was getting married and this was the hotel they chose. What a great desision. From the time we arrived we were greeted by smiling faces and friendly staff. Our room was beautiful with modern style furniture and plenty of luxurious amenities. The bath towels were so soft but the bed took the cake. I have never slept on a more comfortable mattress. We loved it so much we asked about the bed and towels when we checked out.

We also had a chance on the first night to dine in at the Striphouse restaurant. Great restauarnt for the hotel. It had a great atmosphere where all our family & friends hung out for the evening. There is a spa and pool on site that looked absolutley gorgeous. We didn't have time this trip but would definitly consider for the future.

The entire hotel was immaculate and I would definitly come back with family or friends. I would also recommended to anyone that is looking to get away for a day or two and just relax and unwind. We felt so very welcomed at this hotel and it offers so much to do in one place.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Jersey City Newport
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!