“What a weekend!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
mt. laurel, nj
“What a weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2009

We stayed at the Westminster the weekend of March 7th, Our daughter got married at the Crystal Plaza in Livingston on Sunday, March 8th. For months before theJ BIG DAY, I had several phone calls with Joannie Cruz, who was just fabulous and very patient with all of my questions and concerns. We booked about 20 rooms (at a special wedding discount rate) and everyone was very pleased with the cleanliness and overall decor of the rooms. The hotel staff gave us a complimentary room for the bridal party to get their hair and make-up done on Sunday morning before the ceremony. We were also offered a shuttle back and forth to the wedding. Everyone we came in contact with at the hotel was courteous and just wonderful to us! Our stay at the Westminster certainly added to the overall excitement and success of the wedding weekend! One last thing...after the wedding, we were so tired. About 8 of us went to the pool , hung out and put our feet in the hot tub ! IT was great !!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

I know I am off the beaten trail here however I was invited to a good friend's daughter's wedding in NJ. The invite contained a discounted stay at the Westminster Hotel in Livingston. I stayed two nights for convenience sake and the hotel was comfortable enough. I found the room adequate to good but the bar was somewhat lacking, particularly in pricing.

All this aside, nothing prepared me for what happened at the the post wedding party which was planned to be held in the hotel bar. The party arrived at 11:30 PM, possibly 50 in all, as expected by the hotel. Instead of a warm greeting by the bar manager and personnel, the staff rudely told the new bride and family that the bar is closed. The conversation then turned heated as expected after booking an entire wing for this event. The bar manager then slammed the bar door shut and promptly called the police. He also called the bride a [-] and I'm not making this up, I wish I was. This was then followed by the arrival of approximately 10 police officers with night sticks who then dispersed the wedding party. Normally one might understand these actions if the crowd were young and rowdy but it wasn't. We are talking about several families of well to do backgrounds with an average age of 45. I am also a frequent traveller with loyality membership levels including 1K miler status with United, Hilton diamond member, Starwood Gold member (on and on) who travelled from California for this event. I have never seen such poor behavior on the behalf of any staff in any hotel in the world. Later complaints to the management resulted in nothing less than superficial and calious responses that were nothing less than poor attempts to cover their rear ends. I cannot not recommend this hotel at this time and would recommend that its senior management evaluate the hotel practices and staffing.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank cyberdaemon
WestminsterMgmt, Hotel Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
At Westminster Hotel, we strive to provide a welcoming and accommodating environment for everyone that stays with us and uses our facilities. It is our right and our responsibility to protect that environment and insure that it is safe and secure for you, other guests and our associates. When we believe that the environment is threatened in any way, we are obligated to act and we empower our team members to take action when they believe it is warranted to maintain the safety and security of the premises for everyone. Our team members made a determination, based on the behavior of your party, that action was necessary. As a policy, we contact the local authorities only as a last resort, and we do not control the behavior of the police. Despite your assertions that your party was orderly, the police felt it necessary to intervene to manage the situation. It is our intent, our obligation and our responsibility to make sure everyone in our building is safe. Our actions were ultimately designed to secure that safety for everyone including you and your party.
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

Spent two nights here recently on business.

What stands out about the Westminster is the luxurious bath towels - without a doubt the best I have encountered in a long time.

The hotel appears somewhat dated in a few areas, but overall this was a pleasant experience.

The room was large and quiet. The king size bed was comfortable, ample pillows.

Bathroom was large, lots of counter space, shower high enough for tall people, good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Easy to use high speed internet.

Downsides to this room included the high tech clock radio that apparently only a rocket scientist can program. I don't like wake-up calls, so my alternative was to use my cell phone. However the cell needed charging and there were no easily accessible electrical outlets near the bed. So my cell was charged on the desk, which meant getting out of bed to turn off the alarm - maybe that is a good thing, but they need to have electrical outlets accessible from the nightstands.

About the only downside in the bathroom was the lack of a fan. The desk chair was somewhat difficult to use. The arms are rigid and do not move - they kept caching the pockets on my pants.

I could not get the room as cool as I would have liked - the thermostat only went to 65, but it never seemed to get that cold. The window air conditioner was also very noisy. Probably needed to move some settings on the unit in the window, but the thermostat gives you the impression that is all you need to do.

The hotel makes no mention at all of the free continental breakfast served in the bar each morning - seems like they don't want you to know about it. not much to the breakfast, but it is start to the day.

Overall I would go back here and would recommend.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

This was our first trip into the Livingston area and we were directed to the Westminster Hotel because my cousin was getting married and this was the hotel they chose. What a great desision. From the time we arrived we were greeted by smiling faces and friendly staff. Our room was beautiful with modern style furniture and plenty of luxurious amenities. The bath towels were so soft but the bed took the cake. I have never slept on a more comfortable mattress. We loved it so much we asked about the bed and towels when we checked out.

We also had a chance on the first night to dine in at the Striphouse restaurant. Great restauarnt for the hotel. It had a great atmosphere where all our family & friends hung out for the evening. There is a spa and pool on site that looked absolutley gorgeous. We didn't have time this trip but would definitly consider for the future.

The entire hotel was immaculate and I would definitly come back with family or friends. I would also recommended to anyone that is looking to get away for a day or two and just relax and unwind. We felt so very welcomed at this hotel and it offers so much to do in one place.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Bao'an
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2008

I am staying at this hotel now. They have great beds and the rooms have good lighting and have many amenities. The staff are very friendly and polite. I don't think they are serious about their breakfast buffet though. Most hotels have eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes etc. in their buffets. They have cereal, Fruit, juices, coffee, pastries. Pretty minor stuff for such a nice hotel.
That was disappointing. The other dissapointment is that they don't offer a shuttle to the airport. I will not assume again that just because it's a nice hotel that they will offer the same service smaller hotels offer.

• Liked — The rooms were very comfortable
  • Disliked — No shuttle to the airport and so so breakfast buffet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

The hotel was beautiful and the room seemed really nice. The only problem was that we had Bed Bugs on the head board of our bed. The head board was leather and velvet. In the crack of the headboard there was about 10 or 12 of the bugs. We informed the manager that there were bugs in the bed. We were told we weren't going to be charged for the room and we left the hotel. The manager even offered us a free night, but we have yet to see the letter inviting us back.
I was not aware at the time that the bugs were bed bugs until I got home and looked up bed bugs and found that the bugs in my bed were indeed bed bugs. I took a few pictures of the bugs. Although they were a bit blurry I had remembered what they looked like.

The hotel was very nice and the manager was very helpful and accommodating. I don't think I would go back bc I would be a little nervous about the bugs. I would check the bed before you go to sleep. I guess even the nicest hotels have these critters.

• Liked — The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very friendly
  • Disliked — BED BUGS!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hotellover205
WestminsterMgmt1, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2008
Westminster Hotel, the four-Diamond luxury hotel located in Livingston New Jersey, deeply regrets the experience this guest had while staying at our property. This was in fact the first-ever incident of this kind in our 6-years of operation.

Upon learning of the situation from our guest, Westminster Hotel responded quickly and efficiently, sealing off that particular room, along with rooms adjacent and below. Each of those rooms were then “bombed” and treated with pesticides. Subsequently, the linens were burned and the headboard was removed from the room in question. These rooms remain closed to guests until we are confident that the problem has been resolved.

Furthermore, our professional exterminator found no additional evidence of bed bugs throughout the rest of our property but indicated this is a “particularly bad season” for these types of occurrences. Regardless, as recent winner of the WORLDHOTELS “Performance in Excellence Award” for the America’s, Westminster Hotel continually prides itself on offering the highest level customer service to its guests and would like to apologize again for any inconvenience this incident has caused. We have mailed to this guest a complimentary stay and look forward to seeing them again in the near future.
Wilmington, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

The Westminster in Livingston, NJ is a slight cut above the normal run of the mill area motels, but when it comes to customer service it outdoes the worst flea bag one could find.

This past weekend my wife and I checked into this motel based largely on its supposed positive reputation. While our room was fairly spacious and well appointed (though the bed was on a par with concrete), our horrors began around 11:00 PM and continued until we left around 6:00 AM without having been able to sleep through that time due to drunks screaming in the corridors, banging on walls, slamming doors, and engulfing corridors with the stench of smoke in what is supposed to be a smoke free environment. Efforts to have the motel staff curtail this conduct brought no result, with their "security" agreeing that the conduct was unacceptable but shrugging that he couldn't or wouldn't do anything.as "they" (referring to managment) wouldn't allow it.

So if your thing is to be surrounded by the stench of smoke filled rooms and hallways when you should be enjoying a smoke free environment, or to be kept awake by drunks to all hours of the morning, then most definitely, the Westminster is the place for you. But, if you need a nights sleep either for your own relaxation, or so that your in a proper frame of mind for the next morning's power point presentation to a corporate meeting, I'd suggest that you stay elsewhere.

The Westrminister is the pits.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — The smoke, the drunks, and the unresponsive staff.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank chap914
WestminsterMgmt1, Director of Front Office at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2008
As a luxury property, we take the serenity and security of our guests with an up-most priority. We try to maintain order as best as we can and have a 24 hour security officer that patrols the property. In rare cases, such as this one, it is a challenge for our employees to curtail some of the noise. In this instance, hotel mgt diligently attempted to quell the noise complaints but were unsuccessful. As a last option the local authorities were called and assisted the hotel. From that time the unruliness of several of our guests had subsided. Subsequently, all guest concerns were appropriately handled by hotel management the following day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
HYATT house Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!