“Great Choice”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
New York City, New York
“Great Choice”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The overall experience was great. From the moment I walked in, through the time I left, the staff was exceptional. Whether the greeters at the door or the team that cleaned the rooms, or the front desk staff, the experience was a pleasureable one.I guess the management at the hotel are a good group to work for. Always a smile on the face of the staff.

Room Tip: If you dont need a room with 2 beds, the king size beds were great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Noting makes the management of the Westminster happier than being able to pass along to our staff the results of their hard work in the form of your very kind words. After all, they are the ones who make it all happen.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel is very attractive and the one bedroom is of good size with nice furniture. However, the lighting was not good, especially by the couch where there was no lamp. The place was clean except for the carpet which needed a good cleaning. The staff, especially David, the door man, was very welcoming.

I would use the hotel again, but I would make sure the carpet was clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear that you found our hotel to be attractive and the staff to be welcoming. I’ll be sure to pass along your kind words to David.
Please accept my apologies for the condition of the carpet not being up to our standards. I’ve shared your comments with our executive Housekeeper. Also, there is a ceiling light located above the couch in every room. I am sorry if you didn’t notice that.
I sure hope that you will visit us again. Please contact me directly so that I can handle your accommodations personally. zbingol@westminsterhotel.net

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at this location for an internal training meeting. I had a room on the "Garden Level", which turned out to be in the basement/lower level. However, the room was well appointed and very clean. There was no noise, which helped with a quiet night of sleep. We did have some drinks and appetizer at the restaurant adjacent to the lobby. Drink and food were very good as well. Overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. The bar at Strip House is a great place to be every night of the week! We have just completed a full renovation of all the guest bathrooms on the Garden Level and they are beautiful! I do hope that you will return and have the chance to enjoy the quiet and relaxing comfort that these special rooms can provide. Please contact me personally should your travels bring you back our way, I would be happy to handle the details of a future stay directly.

Warm regards,

Michael Polese
973.548.0036
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed February 27, 2013

From outside it looks like small hotel, but it is a big hotel with excellent services. The best service is the free shuttle bus service at 30 min to any place within 5 miles of hotel. This service is excellent not because it is free but it is like a boon in a place where is no local taxi service, no pathway to walk.

Room is clean, people are very polite and cooperative.

The demerit of this hotel is food. There are almost no option for breakfast. Everyday same. In dinner also the menu card has very less options. But, this is balanced by shuttle service which took us to nearby restaurants. Detail of restaurants is available with front desk. There are Italian, Malaysian. Thai, Indian, Mexican, Chinese and all food chain kind of restaurants near by hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Westminster Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you were very pleased with our complimentary shuttle service. We also appreciate your kind words about our beautiful rooms and wonderful staff.

The concept of our Striphouse restaurant’s dinner menu is prepared towards the high-end steak and seafood specialties. In fact, our menu is very popular. I am sorry to hear that you found our menu to be limited. Please also note that, in addition to our complimentary continental breakfast offerings, you have the option to use room service for breakfast.

Thank you again for sharing the details of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Front Desk Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel because the Short Hills Hilton was sold out. I travel quite a bit for my job, so hotels are essentially my home away from home. Therefore, I want to find a nice, comfortable and clean place to stay. I saw that the Westminster had four stars and pretty good reviews. However, when I checked in, my room smelled - or rather reeked - of disinfectant. It almost knocked me over as I walked through the doorway into my room. I already wasn't happy that they gave me a room right across from the elevator, but I wasn't going to complain. The air conditioning/fan was turned off so there was no ventilation, and it felt muggy in the room. Then I walked into the bathroom....right there on top of the shower drain was a huge clump of red hair. It looked like it was still damp. I almost threw up right then and there. I called down to the front desk and demanded another room. She was pleasant enough, but I had to wait 15 minutes for someone to show up with a key to a different room. Just sitting inside this room with the big hair ball in the shower made my stomach turn. Anyway, 15 minutes later, they moved me across the hall (right next to the elevator this time). The room didn't smell because the air conditioning was already running, thank goodness. Although I was not particularly hungry (maybe due to the disgust I experienced just before), it was dinner time, so I was ready to order room service. After looking around the room for five minutes and checking in every drawer, I gave up trying to find a menu. I picked up the only phone in the room (which by the way was the old style with the big lit-up buttons on the receiver - you know, the kind that people used to hang on the walls and the kind that nice hotels put next to the toilet) and dialed zero, since there were no buttons for room service, or any other service for that matter, and asked for a room service menu. The receptionist kindly told me the hotel was going green and has the menu on the television. I'm all for going green and conservation, but it would have been nice for the lady who checked me in to tell me that the room service menu could be found on the TV, especially since she asked "are there any amenities you'd like to know about?" and I answered "room service."

So, I've only been here less than an hour and I'm ready to check out already. I'm dreading what nightmare awaits me for dinner and the rest of the evening at the Westminster. I can't get out of here fast enough. Unfortunately, it's late and the Short Hills is still sold out....thank God I'm only here for one night.

4 Thank BizTravelerfromATL
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I have read and re-read your review many times. I have waited to respond to be sure I had enough distance to respond thoughtfully. I am genuinely sorry for the difficulty you had at our hotel. We made some mistakes for sure. In the end, I am very grateful that I was able to speak with you personally and I appreciate your willingness to talk to me, albeit after you posted your review. The housekeeping issue you found, by far your most egregious problem, is not acceptable in any way, and it has been strongly addressed with our Executive Housekeeper. Still, there is no doubt in my mind that your experience is an anomaly as our hotel is routinely very highly rated especially for cleanliness.

I sometimes wonder if people realize as they are writing these permanent records of their experience, that there are hard working, decent, people on the receiving end of their criticisms. Your review, while clearly “in the moment”, is, for me, diminished by your tone which goes beyond criticism and borders on attack. It makes me suspicious of your intention. Had I not spoken to you personally, I would be left to believe that your intention was to hurt our hotel and the dedicated people who work tirelessly in it every day. It’s too bad that forums like TripAdvisor, which are designed to educate and inform the public, can be used in this way. We are not perfect, far from it, but mistakes, however bad, happen everywhere, every day.

So while your review was written after being in our hotel for less than one hour, I have spent the last 10 years at Westminster Hotel, and I know that your opinion does not reflect who we are and what we offer. I am genuinely sorry about what happened, but it should also be put into proper perspective. Your comments are a reaction and not a review. I hope one day you will give us another try, and I ask that you reach out to me personally if the occasion should present itself. I’d be grateful for another chance to change your perception of our hotel. You can reach me on 973.548.0036.

Michael Polese
Hainesport, New Jersey
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Hotel itself was nice. The room had nice extras such as sewing kit, bath products, shoe shine, toothbrush, etc. Comfy bed and free water in the room. I had a confirmed reservation through my company travel agency for a king bed. Upon arrival I was told they were sold out of kings and two doubles were available. They did this to others in our party. They said they both were considered standard rooms. I was finally upgraded after another of my party came in and was graciously automatically upgraded to a club room. Upon check out, they charged for the upgraded which they then credited. Gym facilites were open 24/7. Definately more towards a three star property vs a four star.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are either a king bed or two doubles.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. While we are pleased to hear your positive remarks about your experience, we regret to learn the challenges you experienced with your reservation. It is by listening to our guests that we are able to maintain our four diamond service for the last 8 consecutive years. I am very sorry to learn that we were unable to honor your room type “request” initially. I hope you enjoyed the upgrade.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we welcome the opportunity to host you again and leave you with a better impression. Please contact me directly at zbingol@westminsterhotel.net for your next visit and I will be happy to handle the details of your reservations personally.

Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Three years ago my fiance and I got the romance package during Valentines Day and were very impressed and blown away by this hotel and the package if offered. (early check in, rose petals leading into the room to the bed, chocolate covered strawberries & champagne, couples massage, $100 gift certificate to the strip house, 1 free movie, and late checkout. The room was modern and clean! This year we decided to do the same thing and we were extremely disappointed! The package only offered early check in and late check out, $100 towards the strip house or room service, and $25 towards breakfast. We ordered room service because they didn't have our reservation booked and the food was HIGHLY overpriced. Not only did we have to pay a $3.00 room service fee and an 18% gratuity charge, but the food was terrible! Our steak was cold and over cooked and the vegetables were hard. When we first walked in the room it smelled like smoke and the rooms looked like they needed a little upgrading. We were even in a suite and I'm not sure if it was the room we were in that was old, or if all the rooms were like that. The couches were stained and worn out. On a more positive note, the beds were top of the line and the staff was very friendly. I did want to complain the next morning because we spent almost $400 on this particular package, but when I went to the front desk, there was 1 girl checking in six guests. The Westminster seemed like it was the hot spot in 2008 but they need some major upgrading! Also, both dinner and breakfast were extremely overpriced for what it was.

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money on their suite. The only thing a suite offers is a dining table, a e...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JillNort55
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were
disappointed about your Valentine’s Day Package. I would like to
clarify some important points for the Tripadvisor readers. The
components of the package you booked in 2008 were different than the
package you booked this past Valentine’s Day. I am sorry that you may have
not realized what the offerings were for your package this year, but
you did receive everything that the package included. Please also
note that the price was $100 cheaper then the package you had in 2008.
It is not a fair comparison by any means.

I am also very sorry to hear about your experience with the
Striphouse. Our records do indicate that you had a table reserved for
two at the Striphouse on Friday evening, but you did not show up.

Please accept my apologies about your food. This is not a typical
experience with our award winning Striphouse restaurant. I have shared
your comments with our Executive Chef. Please also note that the
$3.00 Room Service Delivery charge is an industry standard.

While I very much appreciate your kind words about our wonderful staff
and the beds, I am disappointed to learn your thoughts about your room
which was the exact same room you stayed and enjoyed in 2008.

I will be reaching out to you separately since I didn’t have the
opportunity to meet with you prior to your departure. I hope that I can find
a way to change your recent impressions about the Westminster
Hotel.

Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
HYATT house Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!