“Outstanding Management and Facilities”
Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Outstanding Management and Facilities”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Before I describe the physical part of our stay, I want to make clear that what makes a great hotel is not just the rooms and public areas, but whether there is a great service team in place and that the management/owners know what is going on and truly care about their guests.

We were vagabonds of hurricane Sandy last week. With no power and a failing generator, we had to go from hotel to hotel with our 2 small children and adult son. After being displaced at our local hotel, Somerset Hills so a wedding party guest could have our room, I found the Westminster. I knew of it because I am formerly from Livingston and they have a world-class steak house on site. They offer free hot breakfast each morning and there are other amenities.

I caught the hotel just as they were regaining their own power so I was able to get a room for Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, but not Monday because they were full.
When we arrived to check in, they informed us that the restaurant was closed for days. That there would be no breakfast, and that there was literally no food in the hotel at all. During normal times I would have turned and walked out; how your perspective changes when a hot shower, heat, a bed to sleep in, the internet and TV become more important than whether they have a restaurant open.

We asked several times if they could accomodate us on Monday night, but they could only put us on a "wait list". We had heard that before, and knew it basically meant "forget it". How pleased we were when the manager called personally Saturday night to tell us he would hold a room for us knowing our situation and honor the low price of our original room. Thaty may seem like no big deal, but to me, a 30 year business owner myself, I realized that they could have sold this room 1000 times over at rack rate to many people. This was a true act of customer service.

Concerning the hotel itself: The rooms are modern with a kind of boutique hotel vibe. Nice beds and toiletries. Free, fast internet and great TV. There was even a couch in the regular double room. Considering the dire situation here in NJ, the service was great and the rooms very clean.
Not a For Seasons, but the nicest hotel of this type I have stayed in. Those that complained of the price for what they got obviously never stay at nicer hotels in NY/NJ area, becuse there is no such thing as a $99.00 room unless you stay at a Motel 6.

We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor for more privacy. There is no view anyway because it is on a highwa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
We loved reading your kind review. How wonderfully you have captured the essence of Westminster Hotel. We certainly strive to deliver the best experience and value possible even under difficult circumstances, such as during the “Hurricane Sandy” and it’s aftermath. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here right after they got power back from Frankenstorm. They could of had a zillion reasons why rooms weren't clean or the service wasn't friendly. They didn't need them because both were impeccable at an extremely reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. Even under the most challenging times, such as “Hurricane Sandy”, our team works tirelessly to maintain our service levels. Thank you and we are very appreciative of your recognition.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

St. George, Bermuda
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We spent 4 nights at this hotel and it was overall a good stay. The front desk staff was very helpful and polite. They explained all the amentites and gave us clear directions to our room. When we arrived at our room, it was very spacious and clean. The bathroom was clean as well minus a bit of grunge around the handrail in the tub that might have been overlooked by the housekeeping staff. After our busy day of travelling, we managed to get a good sleep thanks to the comfy bed. We tried the free breakfast the next morning and it was O.K although the staff in there seemed a bit unwelcoming. Spent most days out and returned evenings to the room cleaned to perfection. The only mishap was that there were two of us staying in the room but the housekeeping kept leaving us only one clean washcloth. Outside of that, the housekeeping staff was friendly. Went to check out the gym which was so far down and tucked away in the basement that we decided not to use it especially since there was no security in sight. One thing we found was that the elevators and hallways to the rooms were always warm (no ventilation?) For the most part, this was a lovely hotel for our short stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Virgomom79
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Westminster Hotel. We appreciate your kind remarks about our staff and the room. We are happy to hear that you got a good night sleep on our amazingly comfortable Hollandia International bed.
Thank you for staying at the Westminster Hotel. Should your travelers take you back to the area, please visit us again.

Wallkill
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the recomended place to stay for an organized event. The hotel is clean, modern and well kept. Our room was above average in square footage and well appointed. All amminties were included. The refigerator was a plus and the Wi-Fi worked well. Only down side was the lighting in the bathroom was poor, even with the seperate shaving mirror I had some difficulty shaving. The drinks at the cocktail lounge were a bit pricey. There were to mixologist, the lady was very good but the man seemed more interested in the younger women and made a comment to us that was a bit out of line. We had the Sunday morning breakfast buffet, the food was acceptable but not worth the price. Overall performance was upheld by the hotel and it's staff, the dining facility was less than stellar.

Room Tip: We found that the indoor pool and exersise area were quite nice. The rooms were quieter than most la...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank harold66
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, in particular your room and our health and wellnes facilities. We appreciate the high marks you give us for our rooms, service, cleanliness and location! I do hope you will return and it would be my pleasure to handle the details of a future stay personally. Please feel free to contact me on 973.548.0036 if i can assist you further.

Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a reunion and found our room to be very elegantly appointed and comfortable. The front desk personnel were courteous and helpful. Parking is free and plentiful. The bar is pricey, but convenient. There seems to be a lot of wedding parties here. The hotel food is....hotel food. Satisfactory, but not great. Bottom line: I would visit again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would return. If i can assist you in the future, please call on me personally. You can reach directly on 973.548.0036.

Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I had my wedding reception at this location and was looking forward to a wonderful meal and evening. The planning went smoothly with one glitch that my coordinator left the company mid-planning and no one told me until I questioned around after unanswered emails. This was early on though, so no harm done.
Our tasting was phenomenal - the chef came out and spoke with us, we tried a variety of foods and they took great care of us. However, the night of the event the food was well below par. The steak and salmon were placed on cutting boards with no attendants or heat lamps. By the time the 5th person got to the salmon to cut a piece it looked like a mess. All the food was cold by the time the second half of the tables were called up.
I had cupcakes at the event and a few dozen left over but was told they could not wrap them up for us to take home because they threw away the container.
They were very understaffed - always a long line at the bar (note - my event had only 60 people) and I had to ask 5-6 times to get the lights turned down. We were dancing in bright lights for most of the night.
When they packed up my decorations that I carefully delivered all wrapped up in bubble wrap and paper, everything was thrown in boxes - a glass piece was broken and a few small items were missing.
To top it off, I left my after party dress at the hotel in the bathroom and called back the day I left to see if they could retrieve it for me and they said they hadn't found it.
I was very pleased with our suite which was complimentary with our room block. However, our room block was spread throughout the entire hotel on all 3 floors - not in a block as I'd imagined.
Overall I was very disappointed as our expectations were not at all met. While we didn't let these small things bother us the night of, many guests had complaints about one thing or the other. Unfortunately, I would not recommend this venue for a large event.

Room Tip: The suites have adjustable and massage beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elizabeth M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that some components of your wedding did not live up to expectations. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your suite and that you give us high marks for cleanliness, sleep quality and rooms. I am sorry that some rooms in your group were located in different areas of the hotel. It can be hard to keep everyone together during high demand weekends.

Our food service is provided by The Glazier Group and I understand that you are in contact with them regarding your event. i am sure they will be able to address your concerns. Congratulations again on your wedding. I wish you a lifetime of happiness. if i can assist you further, please contact me directly on 973.548.0036

NJ
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed this past weekend for 1 night to attend a wedding that was being held at the hotel, we were left very unimpressed. The room/wedding/breakfast buffet all left a lot to be desired.

The room: The room rate we paid was pretty standard, about $135 for a king room (booked as part of a wedding party). We were kind of surprised to find out though that the block of rooms were nowhere near each other, the 15 rooms booked were scattered all over the hotel which made things quite difficult. The room itself was looked clean on first inspection but after a closer examination it was obvious that work needs to be done. Though the furniture doesn't look old it is quite scratched/scuffed up and was considerably dusty. Large chair in the corner was covered in stains and not pleasant. Lots of dust around the entire perimeter of the room...seems housekeeping cleans the heavily used parts of the room and that's it. Additionally, rooms belonging to others staying in the block in the back of the hotel seemed to be much nicer/updated (large shower/larger bathroom/couch).

Wedding: While we had a good time but t was clear the hotel was not properly staffed...and there were only about 60 attendees. Food at the cocktail hour wasn't bad, but there was 1 bartender for 60 people. It was not the bartender's fault...the manager walking around did nothing but set him up to fail. He was constantly running out of items like champagne glasses and when runners came with more they would bring 6-8 glasses....clearly not enough. This situation persisted throughout the wedding. There were several other issues a well, manager either didn't care/didn't want to turn the lights down (who wants to dance in a brightly lit room). Apparently the bride and groom paid for a carving station, the hotel instead placed meat/fish on wood cutting boards without someone to carve them...no heat lamp....and the fish wasn't precut. One last note, the female manager who was running the show was not friendly and gave an attitude that was completely unnecessary...staff actually seemed afraid of her and I can understand why with her gruff Russian accent. Though the bride and groom didn't let these things ruin their night it was clear that they were not happy about some of the issues, hopefully they get some sort of financial resolution to this.

Breakfast Buffet: This pretty much sealed the deal the next morning. Literally 1 waiter working the entire restaurant, had to ask for water...coffee took 10 minutes to come out. Items on the buffet were either overcooked...undercooked....or had been eaten and weren't replaced. It took until the end of the meal for them to refresh the eggs and french toast. How do you run a restaurant like this?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank knast
Dear Guest,
Thank youf or your post and feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the major components of your wedding weekend. We do our very best to keep groups together, but, on sold out nights it can become difficult to accomplish this. I am sorry your party was scattered throughout the hotel. You should know that we are embarking on a major renovation of our guest rooms in 2013 just in time for our 10th anniversary in this market!

As for our food offerings, our hotel utilizes the services of The Glazier Group. I understand that your group is in contact with them now and I am sure they will be able to fully address your concerns. Thank you again for your feedback.

Michael Polese
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Hilton Short Hills
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Jersey City Newport
BEST WESTERN Turtle Brook Inn

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!