“Wonderful stay - thank you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Westminster Hotel

Westminster Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Livingston
Oakville, Canada
“Wonderful stay - thank you!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

We (5 sisters, 1 brother and families) had the pleasure of staying at the Westminster a few weeks ago. Our cousin was getting married and this was their hotel of choice and I can now see why. The hotel is lovely, clean and the staffs are most accommodating. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable. My sisters took advantage of the pool daily and found it relaxing. While the wedding reception was at another location, the hotel provided free shuttle service which was an added bonus. The food was good and again (can’t say it enough!) the staff was amazing. Thank you for a memorable stay, I will definitely recommend the Westminster to others and if I’m fortunate enough to find another Westminster in my travels, that’s where I’m booking!
Petrusia

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Petrusia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

This was my third time staying at the Westminster. I look for somewhere that's luxurious yet comfortable when I'm traveling. The Westminster fits those requirements perfectly! From the restaurant to the pool to the spa, everything is what you'd expect from a four diamond hotel. I've stayed in some luxury hotels for business travel and this is by far the best place to stay for the friendly, yet upscale and refined atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Bergenfield, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have to admit I wasn't expecting much from a weekend getaway in Livingston, NJ but boy was I surprised. This was a short getaway for myself and my boyfriend and we had such a wonderful time at this great little hotel. Upon walking in I immediately knew it was going to be special. From the warm greeting at the reception, to the friendly bellman who took us to our room, we were off to a great start. We relaxed for awhile in our room before heading to the Strip House, the restaurant in the hotel, for an amazing dinner. The atmosphere was sleek and sexy and the food was incredible. We then retired back to our room where had an amazing night's sleep in the most comfortabale bed ever. We awoke the next day and headed out to the ShortHills mall for some great shopping. The complimentary shuttle was such a great amenity. After shopping we returned to the hotel and ventured to the spa for a wonderful massage followed by a dip in the pool. Afterwards we ordered a great meal from room service which exceeded our expectations. After another night in that amazing bed we headed back home, relaxed, refreshed and planning our next little escape to the Westminster.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lionsmom
Stateline, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed here on a two night business trip. The hotel appears clean, the room nicely appointed and the linens (bed and bath) very nice. My problem started with a cup of tea made with the in room coffee machine ( one of the pod kind) . When I went to drink it, a horrible stench emanated and I realized the coffee machine was encrusted with MOLD...yuk. The next morning, when taking a shower, the drain backed up and I stood in 8 inches of water... yuk. Additionally the walls are so thin you can hear the conversations of those in the room next to you. Not good. I told the front desk of my issues. Upon my return that evening, no note or VM was provided addressing my concerns. I did get a phone call about 9pm letting me know the coffee machine had been replaced but she could not confirm if the drain had been fixed. The hotel also removed the room charge for one night. The hotel also offers a continental breakfast in the morning, but did not inform me upon check in, and only due to my visit to the front desk was I informed of this.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank BR58
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your kind words - "The hotel appears clean, the room nicely appointed and the linens (bed and bath) very nice" - but we certainly apologize for our failures. We did offer one night on a complimentary basis to compensate you for your inconvenience and feel sure that you will agree that this was more than fair.

Still, our goal is to have our guests leave with the intention of returning and your review suggests that you are unsure about coming back. I hope you will accept my personal invitation to return. I have reached out to you by telephone and email and hope to hear back from you soon. I'm eager to find a way to improve your impression of our hotel. Please contact me on 973.548.0036 at your earliest convenience. I look forward to speaking with you.

Warm regards,

Michael Polese
973.548.0036
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I live locally and love to stay at the Westminster for little weekend getaways. The rooms are very well appointed and comfortable and the pool area is spotless and relaxing. The service is excellent and unobtrusive. We also have visiting family members stay at the Westminster when they're in town and they rave about the experience. I would highly recommend this little gem!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed 3 nights at the Westminster for a family wedding. Hotel website looked promising listing in-room "mini refrigerators" & "plush bathrobes" among the amenities. Upon check-in, we placed our cold items in the fridge, but soon noticed that our unit wasn't cooling at all. A call to the front desk produced the unbelievable response that the unit was not really a refrigerator, but only "a cooler" - that it would not actively cool, but only help "keep items cool." He said that refrigerators were available for an extra charge. I immediately verified that the unit was an electric appliance, plugged in, but not working, then went to the front desk to challenge the ridiculous false claim we had received. Initially, the desk clerk tried to maintain his farce, but when our interaction began to escalate & raise a commotion in the lobby, the on-duty manager took over. I complained to him about the malfunctioning refrigerator, but that his staff lying to me about it was wehat relly angered me.

In the end, the manager never explained his desk clerk's outrageous behavior, but he apologized, replaced our fridge with a working unit & comped our first night's stay. But, to be sure, what I will remember about the Westminster is the bald-face lying staff, not the attemt to make up for it.

Oh, & the bathrobes? Forget it - there were no bathrobes the entire stay.

Room Tip: Don't assume advertized amenities actually are provided
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank wboehmer
WestminsterMgmt, General Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear Mr. Boehmer,

I am genuinely sorry for your experience at the Westminster Hotel.

I was made aware of your complaint during your stay which is why your room was offered on a complimentary basis for the first night. I had hoped that this, along with solving the issue with your refrigerator, would make up for our failure to provide the excellent service for which we are well known.

You should know that we are transitioning some new team members into full service. We work diligently to train our staff to the highest standards in hospitality, but as new people learn their jobs, mistakes may be made.

You are correct. Our guestrooms feature mini-fridges. Once we learned that your refrigerator was not working, we simply should have replaced the unit and solved the problem. As a standard, we do not argue with guests or make excuses as we did in this circumstance. As a standard, we accommodate guests. I can promise you that we will use your example as a training tool for our team to better serve future guests. I hope this gives you some comfort that however hard it may be to hear about our failures, we are committed to listening to and learning from the people we serve.

I would be grateful for the chance to serve you again. Given that opportunity, please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to return. My direct line is 973.548.0036.

Michael Polese
Woodbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

The highlight of my stay here was the Indian wedding that occured during my stay. From the outfits, to the hemma painted hands, the musicians and dancing and the dazzling- jeweled horse that strutted around the parking- from that alone I will say the Westminster hotel will accomodate your needs. That was one of several wedding parties (including the one I was a part of) that stayed at this hotel... Were the rooms great? they were ok (the highlight is that you can open and close your windows yourself). Does everyroom come with a microwave? No... and i was starving and couldnt warm up my food from the reception. The pool closed early so my daughter didn't have a chance to swim. The adults congregated at the bar off of the lobby and and enjoyed our one night stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
HYATT house Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown

Been to Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!