Westminster Hotel
Garden Plaza Hotel(West Orange)
$139
$237
$219
Official Website
Courtyard West Orange(West Orange)
$159
$268
$263
$229
$169
All reviewsstrip housenice hotelgarden levelshuttle servicewedding partybusiness tripbed was very comfortablenew jerseyfront desk staffenjoyed my stayindoor poolfitness centerbagelspopsrobehallwaytoiletries
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I were in town for three days for a family wedding and stayed at the hotel. All in all, I think it was a fine hotel with good customer service and comfortable beds and clean rooms. My only major drawback was that the walls between the rooms are a little thin so you could hear folks--especially if you have noisy neighbors or a party going on in the hallway. We ended up switching rooms and things were generally fine.
I liked how they had a free van/shuttle back and forth to the mall at Shot Hills. And free shuttle service to some of the wedding events we had to attend. This shuttle is key, especially if you came to the hotel without a car (there really is not much within walking distance of the hotel).
I used the swimming pool a couple of times and it seemed clean enough to me. It was heated.
About the food availability within the hotel: it's a little limited. There is one restaurant (a steak house) in the hotel. There is complimentary breakfast in the bar area of the restaurant--but only during the week. On the weekend, you have to pay for breakfast--and, at least on Saturday, lunch is not available. Thus, if you want something for lunch on Saturday (and you do not have a car to drive somewhere), you are limited to the vending machines in the hotel. And no, there is no gift shop in the hotel. Seems like this is something the hotel could work on for guests that are stuck at the hotel on Saturday day. I cannot speak to the availability of food on Sunday.
As I said, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The hotel is clean, the customer service (i.e., front desk) is helpful and friendly. The price of the hotel was decent (though I know we received a "wedding rate.") I would recommend this hotel--but be aware of potentially thin walls in the room.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I traveled east to visit with my dad, a patient at nearby St. Barnabas Medical Center. Our original plans to stay with family didn't work out as planned, so we asked St. Barnabas if any nearby hotels gave hospital discounts. They mentioned the Westminster and are we ever glad they did! The hotel was a mere 3.5 miles from the hospital, which was especially important when NJ was hit with a 100-year blizzard on December 26th, 2010 and traveling even a few blocks was nothing short of treacherous. Overall, the hotel was very quiet, offered tons of parking (mostly in back by the ballroom entrance), "Striphouse", an upscale in-house restaurant, and on M-F, a delicious complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel's restaurant (i.e. scrambled eggs, breakfast meats, roasted potatoes, several types of fruit juice, cold cereals, fresh fruit, bread/muffins, etc.). The hotel was also located close to Starbucks, restaurants (you must try the Livingston Deli and Livingston Pizza), drug and other retail stores, a grocery store, various houses of worship, etc. Our king, non-smoking room was very clean, well-appointed (included luxurious towels and a down comforter) and had no bed bugs (yes, we checked!). The front desk staff was friendly and willing to please, particularly when many guests were unexpectedly stranded at the hotel by the above-named blizzard. But the hotel grounds crew worked quickly and efficiently to clear the 3'-4'' of snow surrounding the hotel, so activity began to get back to normal within just 24 hours. And the best part was the nightly rate... just $109/night, thanks to the hospital discount. Most comparable hotels in the area are in the $139-$169 range. When we finally left the hotel after 7 nights, we knew it would be our "go to" place for lodging in the future..... Little did we know that we would need to stay at the Westminster again so soon. Unfortunately, my dad died shortly after we left NJ, so we are going back in late February (2011) for a memorial service. When I called the hotel to make reservations, I was astounded when they offered to honor the same discounted room rate we paid before. And, they agreed to extend that rate to any other family member who also planned to come into town for the service. Now that's what I call service!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I held my 40th Class Reunion at the Westminster over the Thanksgiving weekend. I found that every Hotel staff member has a smile to greet you & always very accommodating. The food service was excellent, and the food was incredible for my banquet.
I had a suite which was beautiful, immaculate and had all the amenities anyone could possibly need. Everyone of my guests had nothing but high compliments for the quality of the service, comfort and beauty of the Hotel. It is very obvious that The Westminster Hotel prides itself on giving their guests the highest quality experience available. This is the only place to stay when you are in Livingston & surrounding area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I really don’t see how this hotel has a four star rating.
First the pluses, the exterior and the reception area look nice. The price isn’t too bad either.
But, that being said, I was very disappointed with everything else. Our room was so small. The furniture didn’t actually work with the size of the room. The bathroom was really small too. And the oddest thing, they had 2 tootsie rolls in there. Why would anyone put candy in a bathroom? Not very well thought out.
The staff were not great. I was very happy that they checked us in early, but that was the only time they went ‘above and beyond’.
The worst thing though is that along with the odd room set up, the coffee maker was in a very unsuitable place – and there was no milk or creamer, just a dairy free powder, which tasted awful! I’m very serious about having a cup of coffee in the morning and was really disappointed that this four star hotel didn’t provide the guests with a decent creamer. I called the front desk and they transferred me to the kitchen where I was told that if they send me some creamer it will cost me $3!

Overall, not entirely pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drl1983
WestminsterMgmt, Front Office Manager at Westminster Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Westminster Hotel. We appreciate your kind words.
We are dismayed to learn that your stay was less than pleasant. Our luxurious and beautifully appointed rooms are designed in a classic contemporary style. We are truly disappointed that your guest room and its décor didn’t meet your expectations. We would also like to point out that we serve complimentary breakfast with fresh coffee at our award winning Striphouse Restaurant during weekday mornings. We are sorry that you didn’t take advantage of this amenity. Our goal is to have all guests leave with the intent to return and be completely satisfied with their stay. We do hope that you will give us another try. Thank you again for your feedback. Zohre Bingol

Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed one night at the Westminster for a wedding. The staff was friendly, the rooms were very ample and clean and there's lots of parking. Ask for a room away from the elevators as you'll hear all the happy/drunken wedding participants coming back from the festivities if you are near the elevators. The doors/walls aren't exactly thick. Overall though a very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family