“Food is Meh”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Assado Portugese Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Assado Portugese Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 96 Restaurants in Livingston
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has to decide what it wants to be. It's billed as a Brazilian Steakhouse but serves numerous pastas and BBQ. There are many better options in the area no matter what type of cuisine you're hankering for. That's a shame because we were really rooting for Assado to succeed. They may succeed yet, but the group of six we were a part of will not be returning. The waiter was rude, to boot.

At these prices, we'll dine elsewhere locally. For more authentic Brazilian/Portuguese fare, we'll drive the extra 15-20 minutes to the downneck area of Newark, where many more authentic and delicious options await.

Reviewed February 28, 2018

My husband and I went there with a group of friends. The menu is long, and we recognized many dishes from our Brazilian cuisine, as well as many Portuguese dishes too.

Our Brazilian server took a long time to come to us, and I thought he was very indelicate, almost rude when making suggestions to some of our friends.

The dishes are huge, but the presentation needs a lot of improvement. I had a grilled octopus and each one of us ordered a different type of meat, but the side dishes were all the same for everyone.

1  Thank B4019TFdaniellem
Reviewed February 25, 2018

Every restaurant I've been to had bread and butter or some sort of olives and bread on the table once you were seated. Not here. I ordered clams casino which were clams orreganato with a piece of fatty bacon on top! My beef ribs were that, actual ribs of beef, well done to boot, that came with rice and French fries! Talk about starch! Salads, yes they had them but none were included with the meal. We weren't even finished with our appetizers when our dinner was being placed in front of us. I tried it and won't return.

1  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed February 1, 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is new and the staff clearly need to get a more structured approach to customer service. Waiters struggled to attend to all tables and bus boys had to step in frequently. Small touches were missed like not having enough buckets to chill our wine. Our food was ok, but could be more adventurous, such as only Spanish rice and steamed broccoli on dishes. I want this place to step it up and be successful bc they can be. Just get with it quickly!!

1  Thank DianaNinja
Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful new restaurant but the food and service do not match the decor. Menu is varied and many items are not Portuguese. Appetizers were good, main courses left much to be desired. Mashed potatoes tasted pasty and over salted (perhaps boxed?). Shrimp are small (think popcorn shrimp size) although garlic sauce was tasty. Rice and fried potatoes as sides on the same plate? Too starchy. Paella chicken was tough with no taste, mini shrimp again and scallops were squishy. Food took a long time to come out of the kitchen, but waiter was very nice and friendly. Prices expensive for quality of food. I won't be back.

2  Thank Bricksmom