“Regional Treasure”

Edie's Luncheonette
Reviewed May 18, 2016

Edie's is a diner set in a house. It had a counter, three or four booths and a handful of tables. It's local. And only open for breakfast and lunch. I've only been for breakfast. I love it early. I read my paper. My coffee cup is always full. I can order small portions. The waitresses are friendly and warm. And they have patty sausage. As the day progresses it gets crowded, so go early for a relaxing start to your day.

Date of visit: April 2016

Reviewed April 26, 2016

Best breakfast in New Jersey. Forget IHOP or the like. Edie's makes the best omelettes.
It's such an unusual and small location it's very easy to pass without noticing it. It's a tiny little storefront and unless you're looking for it you wouldn't find it.
Don't be fooled by it's diminutive stature. The food is great.
The downside is that it's a very small place so there's a good chance you'll have to wait to be seated.
The service has always been very good but because they are always busy you may to wait a bit to be served.
A must go if you're in the area. All the "locals" dine there often.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed April 10, 2016

The place is homey. Heimisch, in German. Nothing fancy about these booths and tables or the paper place mats or the food or the down-home atmosphere.

The menu is all breakfast or lunch. Any time of day. Eggs - in all permutations - seem to be their specialty, though they also offered a few salads (e.g., tuna, egg, chicken). We had omelettes (egg whites), and didn't appreciate the canned mushrooms in them, though the rest was passable.

Service was fast and friendly. Price was inexpensive.

A decent breakfast place, though go to a diner for a broader selection.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed October 26, 2015

This is a small local breakfast and lunch place, with good food and service. There are many omelette choices for anytime, and good sandwiches and soups. Its a small place, so service is very good.

Date of visit: June 2015
Reviewed August 13, 2015

I have lived in the area all my life and worked, for 25 years, less than a mile from Edie's. We even have the namesake of this place as our client but I had never gone to eat there. Well, today was the day that our office decided to check out this little, well-known eatery that everyone's been talking about. Usually you can't get into the place but today we visited after lunchtime and was able get right in. There are only two parking spaces and a handicap in the front but there is parking behind the building and people park on the street next to the cemetery. The building is from 1849 and has been a Mechanic's Hall, general store and post office over the years. It's been known as Edie's for over 40 years. The building is a typical colonial with brick red paint and small porch. When you walk inside there are a few tables and a counter that you can sit at and spin on the stools(great for kids or adults with kid still in their heart). There is some dirt around the floorboards that I saw but as long as the tables, chairs, dishes and silverware were clean I let it go. The breakfast/lunch menu is quite large and I found it hard to decide what I wanted. I finally settled on a roast beef dip which is different from your typical French dip. This comes with gravy. It was excellent. It came on a soft roll with shredded beef. Pickle, gravy, cold slaw and potato chips were on the side. I have to say, it was very good and the gravy was excellent; not your typical canned gravy that you would get in some diners. I also tried their iced tea to see how it was(I try the tea in many places and am very picky). I have to say, their iced tea was fresh, no mold taste and, more importantly, NO coffee taste! Very nice!!! The other person I was with had a caesar salad which was large and another person had an egg, cheese and hash brown sandwich on the soft roll. They both were very satisfied with their meals. The service was fast, the people friendly, good ol' fashioned home cookin', nothing fancy, great price. I'd go again!

Date of visit: August 2015