“Horrible”

Applebee's
Ranked #31 of 89 Restaurants in Linden
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Normally we try to avoid chain restaurants but we were hungry and had limited options nearby so we ended up here. Service was wretched -- the waiter was paying so little attention that he came to take our food order while we were still taking off our coats and hadn't even touched the menus that the hostess had just put on the table 30 seconds earlier. Things only got worse from there.

It seemed there were several teenage employees working that night who had a table of friends "visiting" them while they were at work. Despite the restaurant being more than half empty (it was a slow Monday night with bad weather), they seated us at the table immediately next to their "friends." We spent our evening barely able to have a conversation as they shouted back and forth across the restaurant to one another or stood around by their table and in the surrounding walkway. Despite the many staff huddled by the table of friends, they seemed not to notice that we weren't being served and pretty obviously didn't care. When we asked one girl if we could get drinks, she simply replied, "Oh, I'm not your server." She didn't offer to take the order anyways or go get our server for us. We weren't assigned to her, and "OMG!" couldn't we see that she was with her friends?!? And yes, she had the gall to repeat this all to her friends at their table...2 feet away from us at the backside of our booth. Not a great sign when staff openly mock customers within earshot to impress their friends and act shocked when they're expected to do work.

Besides that, the food that eventually made it to the table was terrible -- cold to lukewarm at best, much of which tasted re-heated. I don't come to a place like this expecting haute cuisine from a master chef, but a 10 year old would have done a better job with chicken fingers and fries from the frozen aisle of the grocery store. On top of that, it wasn't as cheap as it used to be. If I'm getting McDonald's level food, I might as well head there for half the price.

I doubt we'll ever come to this location again, and this experience has pretty much turned us off from Applebee's altogether.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

close food was ok nothing special chain restaurant food drive up service was very good staff was very friendly and nice

Reviewed December 23, 2012

The quality and portions of food provided at Applebee's needs no introduction; it is always good. I must say, however, that our waiter at this particular restaurant was one of the friendliest and personable people we have met in a long long time. Kudos, Rich! You were great. Thanks for a wonderful meal and stimulating conversation.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I ate in Applebee's on my own but took advantage of the many large screen TVs to watch some American Football. Food was average but service was good and I felt like I ahd picked a good spot after my meal

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have been here many times and have had big problems with service such waitress quit during our service with no replacement till we complained. Another time seated by the hostess and no waitress came by to take drink or food order. Another time otder was messed up asked for baked potatoe got mashed.,steak was returned and got baked potatoe and by the time the new steak returned potatoe was cold. Asked for soup said they didn't have what I wanted it was still frozen. YIKES I try to avoid this Linden Applebee's