“Great food”
Review of Acacia

Acacia
Reserve with OpenTable
Acacia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: "Inventive American Cuisine"- We are a BYOB restaurant.- We are closed Mondays.- We are less than a mile from Rt 95 and just a few miles south of Princeton. - We have free parking.- We are street level and easily accessible for wheelchairs.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is one of our favorite restaurants in the area, mostly for dinner and once for lunch. The menu changes periodically and is very creative. Five of us in the family and always order different appetizers and entrees. Whether it is a veg- or non-veg dish (both appetizer or entre), the food is visually appealing and very tasteful. The service is great (be aware it can be a bit slow when the restaurant gets full). The ambience is great and you can also be seated outside. It is BYOB which works great for our budget. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Very good food and excellent service. The menu is very creative. We had the duck, tuna, lamb shank and eggplant. All were delicious and well presented. I let the chef decide how to prepare the tuna. It was cooked perfectly. The prices are about right but the real savings comes from the fact that Acacia is a BYOB. I have been going to Acacia for several years and it is consistently very good.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a quaint BYOB restaurant in Lawrenceville. Our dinner was excellent. We had the salmon and crabcakes and both came with vegetables and potatoes. It's very small so you don't have much privacy. Luckily it wasn't very busy when we were there but if it was full, it might be a little loud. But the dinner was definitely worth it!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

A friend and I had been to Acacia once before and enjoyed it. On this particular summer Sunday evening, we were looking for an early dinner and were pleasantly surprised to find that Acacia was open.

We got there a few minutes after opening (5pm) and were the only guests; the restaurant started to fill up about a half hour later.

We split two first courses:

Sweet 'n' Sour Calamari - absolutely fabulous! Could have made an entire meal on this alone. The sweet-sour glaze has a definite jalapeno zing to it which I loved.

Asian Pear Salad - terrific! The goat cheese buttons, warm cashews, pears and incredible salad dressing was a wonderful first course. The goat cheese buttons were breaded (in panko maybe?) and were delicately crisp and gave the right amount of tartness to the salad. The dressing was subdued enough to let that goat cheese shine.

Entrees:

I went for the special Corbi fish which is unfamiliar to me - server explained that it is like grouper, which I do like, and the dish was wonderful. Corbi was set on a bed of lightly wilted and dressed spinach and accompanied by a mouth-watering mashed potato with goat cheese and something else I couldn't identify and forgot what waitress told us it was.

Other entree was crab cakes with garlic mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus which looked so gorgeous, corn salad, and tomato remoulade. The crab cakes were a very good size, one was enough and we took the other to go. Delicious.

While waiting for our entree my friend tipped back in her chair, her knee knocked our table into my lap and I was doused with ice-cold water and lemon - drenched from the waist down as our water glasses had just been re-filled, lol. Two servers immediately rushed over with napkins and moved us to another table. I'm just grateful we weren't drinking any red wine :)

The leisurely pace between courses was very enjoyable - I do recall this from our previous visit and this makes for a relaxing evening. Also, tables are spacious and set apart enough so as to not feel cramped.

As for the title of my review:

- We parked at the rear of the restaurant and had to walk by a very malodorous dumpster - not pleasant, glad it wasn't worse.

- Right by the side entrance there was trash on a bench, not a nice thing to see.

Except for those two things, this is a lovely restaurant with superb food quality and service.

We'll be back!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Acacia is a nice small restaurant right in Rt 206 in Lawrenceville, NJ just off of 295/95. My wife and I had heard thru the grapevine that Acacia was worth a visit, so finally, on a very rainy night, we made a reservation and drove thru the drops. There is ample free parking in an off street lot behind Acacia, allowing you to walk right up to the door without having to deal with the sometimes busy Rt 206.
Acacia is 1 semi-large dining room with a darker, average atmosphere (it was a bit hard to read the menu). We were seated at a table for 2 that was a bit tight to hold drinks, condiments, appetizers, etc., but we made it work.
We split an appetizer of the sweet and sour calamari which was an enormous plate of perfectly done calamari lightly covered in a sweet sauce that enhanced the crispiness and flavor of each piece. Highly recommended!!!!!!
For our meals, I opted for the flank steak and my wife chose a nightly special of grilled cobia with a mango salsa.
My steak was perfectly done with a nice sauce and lightly covered with chimichurri. I would have preferred a heavier covering and spicier chimichurri, but I am knit-picking.
My wife's cobia was grilled just right but the mango salsa was way overkill. If you aren't sure what cobia is, it is a fish common in the Florida waters with a simple, non-fishy white meat. It doesn't require a lot of garnish to enhance it, which is what the chef unfortunately did. However, being that it wasn't my meal, my wife was pleased with the selection but I know she wouldn't get it in the future.
Personally, I like to take the approach, when in the country order country food.....not seafood.
Acacia is BYOB, so feel free to indulge in whatever spirits you desire.
Our bill was $90. It was a bit steep, but I knew this going in (their menu is on-line). I would definitely go back, but with the plethora of fine dining in the Mercer County area to try, it won't be for a while.