“excellent flavors of food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shahi Palace - CLOSED

Shahi Palace
Ewing, New Jersey
“excellent flavors of food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

If you're looking for great dining , an assortment of choices and tastes , look no further . This restaurant has a family atmosphere , with fresh food. My wife and I ate there three times, and will be returning soon .There's so many choices .The staff are very friendly as well.

• Visited March 2014

“Good food, however...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

The waiter was rather snooty and my partner feels it was because we are not indian. We were not asked the degree of spicyness we would like. When we asked for chia tea it was not explained there are two types. When we mentioned this the waiter implied "better luck next time". There are too many good indian restaurants in the area to return to this one.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Edison
“Great Food With Not So Spicy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Good Buffet all the time during weekdays. Different Menu all the time rather same boring dishes. Food is fresh most of the time and fresh Nan's are awesome. Seating arrangements could be better but i guess the majority of folks don't mind.Tons of Parking. Just beware of red light camera on baker basin road.

Visited October 2013
Princeton, New Jersey
“The Spice of Life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Although I eat a variety of ethnic cuisines, Indian food is still somewhat new to me. The server was very indulgent answering all of my questions with enthusiasm and asked what level of spice we would like our food. My guest requested very spicy and got exactly what she asked for! I asked for mild spice on my chana masala and was very pleased. The food was served quickly and was very tasty. I had such a good experience, I returned for the weekday lunch buffet. I was in a hurry so I got takeout which is charged by the pound. I think if you stay it's all you can eat for about $10. The buffet included samosas, soup, rice and 4-5 vegetarian entrees. Everything I tried was fresh, spiced medium and tasty.

Don't be put off by the fact that it is located adjacent to an aging shopping center. Once you're inside it's easy to forget where you are.

• Visited October 2013
Hamilton, NJ
“Mixed experience, both good and not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We would like to give Shahi Palace a better rating, but we have to be honest and sincere, and, unfortunately, till some serious service problems are not fixed, three stars is what the restaurants gets.
First, the good. As noted by a previous reviewer, we are happy that the vacant premises of the now defunct Passage to India are taken and a new restaurant happily serves it clientele. The interior is much better than your average New Jersey Indian strip-mall eatery. Secondly, the spiciness requirements were greatly met in our appetizer, arguably the best spiciness we encountered in the area after Delhi 6 went out of business. Our main course, Chicken Saag wasn't spicy at all, despite our requirements, thus, the lack of consistency. The onion kulchas and the rice were excellent, and so was one of our appetizer (actually a main course), Navratan Korma. The other appetizer, Mirchi Ka Saalan (a main course too) was delicious and properly spiced to our liking. The mixed Tandoori grill, on the other hand, had some of its components extremely chewy and definitely undercooked, probably one of the most unsatisfactory Tandoori mixed grills we ever had. The dessert, Kulfi Faluda was good too.
Then, there was a serious problem with the service. The server, complaining of how busy the restaurant was (about four tables at the most and a small-scale banquet at the separate hall), had to be waited for and repeatedly reminded, either about our coffees or check. Honestly, the worst waiting time among similar establishments.
The last but not least important is the variety of the menu. Nowadays, one in a restaurant business, and especially in the Indo-Pakistani restaurants in the greater Mercer-Middlesex area, has to offer something unique, and go above and beyond. Akbar and Chutney Mary are the good examples. Either more variety and more exciting dishes have to be featured, or menu renewed periodically etc. Shahi Palace offers the same ubiquitous varieties as any other restaurant in the area. Pakistani specialties such as Haleem or Laal are available only as a weekend buffet option.
We wish the restaurant all the best. If the changes, discussed above, are implemented we would be more than happy to come again.

• Visited October 2013