“Add this restaurant to your list of favforites-Best Mexican Food”
Review of Tortuga's Cocina - CLOSED

Tortuga's Cocina
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Me and girlfriend enjoy walking around lambertville and new hope and found Tortugas on a rainy day and fell in love with not only the GREAT food but the honest people that work there.We enjoy a hand full of restaurants.For mexican this is the spot.We enjoy this restaurant so much we vist every week on wednesday and sometimes saturday if in town. We live about 30 miles away, but if you find a good restaurant like this one its worth the travel.Add it to your list.The honest people that work there make the place great ,talk to them and they will make your diner a great one.The specials are great and change weekly to keep you coming back for more and more.The food is great honestly.No BS.Highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed October 5, 2009

Was in Lambertville and figured I would give Tortuga's Cocina a shot. Lambertville is a great quaint little town and this cantina fits right in. The decor is charming with the look and feel of an authentic mexican restaurant. The chips and salsa where pretty good but nothing to create a lasting memory. The salsa was chunky but the tomatoes where not ripe which led to a bland flavor. There are no sauces on the table to adjust the salsa to the desired level of heat. We had the guacamole appetizer. The guacamole was fresh but rather plain. It was served over a bed of shredded lettuce and is not worth the $10 price tag. I ordered the tres fajitas $19 which was a special. All fajitas are in the 14$ to 20$ range, but this time the food backed up the mucho dinero menu price. The steak, chicken and shrimp where all wonderful and the portion was quite plentiful. They only brought a paltry three tortillas but brought more upon request. Perfectly seasoned, these where some of the best fajitas I've ever had. Again, no sauces on the side to add which would have enhanced the experience, particularly if they where good. Now the bad, we ordered two margaritas and they arrived completely void of alcohol. You couldn't smell alcohol, you couldn' t taste alcohol and you can't hide tequilla. I tried to to send them back and it was clear our waitress didn't understand because of the language barrier. I suggested to her that I didn't order limeade, but she didn't understand a word of what I was saying. When she finally said add more alcohol, I nodded with approval and the margaritas returned within a minute in a much improved state. All was well until the bill arrived; an extra $3.50 was tagged on the already steep margarita price of $7.50. I paid a whopping $22 for two margaritas. The bottom line here is that this restaurant offers quality food, but if part of the value of the true mexican experiences involves good margaritas you will be woefully disappointed. Had the waitress spoken a lick of English it is possible that the situation could have been rectified in a more amicable manner.

Reviewed September 27, 2009

I have been to many Mexican restaurants and none hold a candle to Tortuga's Cocina! We started with the excellent chips and salsa which were amazing. We added some of the homemade guacamole and the chips and salsa went from amazing to down right addictive! But thankfully we stopped gorging ourselves on chips and saved some room for our main course. I had the Carne Esada and it was cooked to perfection. The meat was succulent and the chipotle marinade was delicious! My husband had the Flautas de Harina which were equally delicious! We will definitely be making the trip back to Tortuga's next time we are in the area!

Reviewed August 26, 2009

Finally! A family owned restaraunt with small town attitude! The locals know what I'm talking about. When I went the first time I half expected Taco Bell meets ChiChi's. Not the case at all. The indoor restaraunt area has a personable elegance to it not at all typical of a place that serves mexican. Made me wish I had ordered a bottle of wine. They have an outside patio perfect for dining in the upcoming fall months with privacy fencing and shaded by well-established trees. If you have young kids that like to wander like I do, it's perfect. After dinner we headed into the bar for a frosty adult beverage. The drinks are well made, the staff is friendly but not overbearing, and atmosphere is comfortable. I have to say I was suprised when one of the managers came up to me and asked how the food was. I know now that if you have any concerns or suggestions the management will listen, and maybe even implement changes. Try that at any other restaraunt and your suggestion will probably not make it past the waiter. (just look at the
MSG response here from one of the managers as an example). My husband and I loved the food. He was raving about the chips of all things which, come to find out, they bake in-house. I highly recommended this restaraunt and encourage you to ask to speak to the manager if you have ANY suggestions. We will be back soon with friends for a night out. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

We love mexican food and they are hard to find in the Newtown area. Tortuga's is amazing. The food is fantastic and reasonably priced. The atmosphere is friendly and the service is great.
Thanks for a great evening.