“Nice neighborhood tavern experience.”
Review of Bell's Tavern

Bell's Tavern
Ranked #21 of 46 Restaurants in Lambertville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
New Jersey
“Nice neighborhood tavern experience.”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

My wife and I arrived early for dinner and the staff invited us in to sit at the bar and have a drink. The Specklen Hen Ale is exceptional; it makes you feel like you are in a pub in the UK.
We were kindly seated in the dinning room when the kitchen opened. My wife had a pecan and blue cheese salad with a citrus based vinagerette. She wants to try and reproduce the lovely light taste at home. I had the roasted peppr appetizer which was very average. My wife really enjoyed her half serving of the three meat pasta. It tasted home made and it was just the right size. I had the Carbonara. The pasta was slightly over-boiled and the dish could have used a little red pepper heat.
We would like to go back and try something else, perhaps the peeled shrimp or the fried oysters. Oh, and another pint of the Speckled Hen.

1 Thank GKSHLIKEY

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very average....”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

For years we have been going to Bell's and we have always thought a wonderful neighborhood tavern and eatery. Service has always been very good and friendly. Sitting at the bar really is the way to go because you just never know who you will have conversation with. I do feel the food is priced well for what is offered. My issue is I feel the quality of the food has decreased. Last week we stopped by for dinner and we both found our entrees to bland almost Olive Garden like. I guess I am disappointed because I want to keep going there. For awhile I thought it was just me but our friends that go as well felt the same way. Maybe I just have to be happy as it is

• Visited January 2012
15 Thank cmpqse
Frenchtown New Jersey
“It Has Been Here Since 1938 For A Reason”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

By reading some of these reviews there must be two Bell's in Lambertville NJ-.You would come to that conclusion if you read some of these negative reviews then went to the Bells on Union street. This is straight up an old time neighborhood tavern and pasta house. I have been going here for almost 15 years- the food is the same now as it was in the 90's- very good. It is not fine dining and it does not pretend to be. There is always a good mixture of locals and visitors in the bar. The staff- many of whom that have worked here for many years (some 25 years plus) are great. It is a place that everyone will feel comfortable. Paul, who is the Chef/owner, works hard at his craft and he maintains quality and consistency. I recommend that if in Lambertville- this is a great spot to have a drink or dinner.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank TRAINMAN84
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Not the same place”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I read glowing reviews about Bell’s on this board and have to believe people are reminiscing about the way Bell's used to be when the chef was enthusiastic and motivated to grow his business.

It was a treat to go there, but the quality of the dishes on the standard menu have declined considerably over the years. What was once a real piece of chicken breast in the chicken parm is now some sort of preformed chicken cutlet with a soggy bread coating with tomato sauce dumped on it.

And I used to love ordering the various pasta dishes there, but I can no longer can say that I enjoy pasta at Bell's anymore. In fact, the lasagna entrée has to be a food service item - poor quality - and it should be removed from the menu immediately or retooled.

Personally, I believe Bell’s still has a future, but the chef needs to get re-motivated and refresh Bell’s standard menu. Suggestion: add eggplant parm and spaghetti with sausage or meatballs as a regular choice. Afterall, it is an Italian restaurant.

• Visited December 2011
20 Thank Ellie S
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“DON'T BELIEVE THE HATERS”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I honestly don't understand where these negative reviews are coming from. My wife and I have been coming to Bell's every Friday night for years. We bring our family, friends, and everyone we care about. The food is always consistently good and reasonably priced. I can't recall ever having a bad dish of pasta or meal. The specials are always fresh and delicious.Don't believe the crap about Bell's going downhill or re-using bread. It's honestly one of our favorite places anywhere.

• Visited October 2011